jrfly3006

School me on 1911 Mags

I'm looking to pick up a few extra mags for my Springfield USGI 1911 and need some advice on what's good and what to avoid.  Should I stick with 7 rounders or are there reliable 8's. I'm hearing good things about Wilson and McCormick..any other good ones?..I'm not looking to go ultra high end..just reliable extras. Thanks!

P.S. Very happy with this Springer USGI..not one malfunction in over 300 rds

• Like 1

I’m not a big fan of the eight rounders... had one that came with my SR1911, which was defective (follower would stick inside body). Had Ruger swap it for a seven rounder. Just prefer them... if I go larger, then 10 rounders.

Checkmate makes Ruger’s magazines, which I’ve had great success with. Stick with a larger named brand, and make sure they work with what you plan to shoot. Buy two or so, confirm function, then stock up.

7 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Magazine holds the cartridges.  Next question.  :)

Not that simple...

In magazine fed firearms, a good chunk of problems are magazine related. Garbage magazines result in garbage reliability.

Just because a magazine holds the ammo doesn’t mean it will feed reliably.

2 minutes ago, NickySantoro said:

I don't understand the 7 vs 8 round issue. For HD you are going to be victorious or dead after one or two rounds. The 1911 was designed for 7 round mags. Why look for trouble over 1 round that makes no difference?

As stated by HE the Wilson 8 and 10 round mags are fine.

People trust a double stack mag with 15-20 rounds and in 2019 we can't make a reliable 10 round stick mag? Buy quality and it will rarely let you down.

all of my single stack 1911 mags that I use for gun games with both my 45 and 9mm 1911s are stock Wilson ETM mags.

only downside is that the followers are plastic, so over time may be an issue.  Otherwise,  great mags and fairly easy to clean for most gun owners.

I’ve never had an issue with Wilson’s in a 45acp 1911. Or any other magazine of reasonable quality. 

I just grabbed some McCormick 10 rounders for my 9mm 1911 and ran 50 rounds of Wolf steel case thru it with zero issues so far. 

I would imagine either would be fine. Good luck. 

15 minutes ago, jrfly3006 said:

So Wilson it is...thanks for the input everyone!..finding them around $33 a mag plus shipping now...anyone have some secret sourcing for them or is that a good price?

Gunmagwarehouse

CDNN

Brownells

MidwayUSA

I shoot my 1911 in Steel Challenge matches.  I use 8Rd MEC-GAR mags.  They make mags that come with guns from several major manufacturers with the manufacturers brand on it so most people don't know they were made by MEC-GAR.  They've run good for me with no issues.  The ones sold with the MEC-GAR brand are usually cheaper vs the same ones with a manufacturers brand. 

Checkmates run fine in every 1911 i own    and you can  get them for cheap prices.....hunt around....  30 bucks for a new mag screw that !

I found shooting stars for 10 bucks a pop had to replace one spring....all used no issues at all

Hate to say it....but ebay CAN be your friend.