Underdog

S&W Day at Heritage Guild

This Saturday is S&W day at Heritage Guild with a chance to win a .380 Shield and test fire any number of S&Ws.  The Sport II AR is about $100 off.  I wonder if it will be pinned, etc.? .  

You can pay $10 for individual sessions to try whatever they have on hand.  That includes I believe range time and a certain amount of shots and ammo.   There will be a S&W armorer at the Easton location.

I believe it will be at all of them.  And there is free swag, etc..  It is at their site.   Yeah, I think the $10 covers ammo and range fees, etc..  It would be beneficial say if you were thinking about buying a Shield and wanted to see if you could rack it or if you wanted to see if you could handle a 45 acp Shield, or if you wanted to compare a Smith revolver to your sexy Taurus one.  It is also open to non gun people to try things at the range, etc. but I know they will be wary of a loner coming in.   It is worth just stopping by to enter the contest.   Plus if you go to Easton, there is always SARCO.   I need a few AR parts and want to see if they have any more of the Star pistols.

I have revived this thread for a reason - it led me to look at HG's website. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they listed their used gun inventory, by store, on the site. I spent some time perusing the lists of guns for each store and was surprised to find some interesting S&W's. I made a list six guns in which I was interested.

Just so happened that on Wed (3/6) I had a Senior Billiards League match at Woodbridge. Looking at the map, I realized that it was only a stone's throw from the Rahway store. I also noted that by simply heading due west on Rt 22/78 I could also hit the Branchburg and Easton stores, while working my way back home.

I set off that morning with my list and a pocket full of cash. I should mention that the list, as it appears on their site, includes SKU numbers - which, one would think would make it an easy task to check inventory to see if a particular gun was still available.

I was looking for two guns at the Rahway store. So, did the counterman simply go to a terminal and punch in the SKU's? That would be too easy. We spent the next 15 to 20 minutes looking in every display case in the store - all to no avail. No guns.

Off to Branchburg. I obviously didn't take a close enough look at the website because when I got there I found the store was closed on Wednesdays - my bad. I figured I could call them the next day. I had three guns on the list from the Branchburg store.

Now for their premiere store - Easton, only one gun on the list for Easton, but it was a doozie - one that I doubted even existed, but I just couldn't take the chance. After waiting a while, a nice older gentleman waited on me. I asked if they had  that particular model as listed on their website. Again, we repeated the scene from Rahway with both of us looking in every display case. He kept saying that he knew they had another version of that gun - to which I repeatedly replied that was not what I was after. He seemed totally befuddled and finally disappeared into the back office, only to come out five minutes later saying that he had had someone check the list and the gun was supposed to still be there (so they do have the capability to check inventory, they just don't avail themselves of it). He told me that the person that would know was out of the building, but would be back in less than an hour. I left all my contact info and asked them to call me when they confirmed the status of that particular gun.

I was in my car, pulling out of the parking lot when he came out the front door and flagged me down. He told me that the person that would know had just come in the back door and had told him that there was no gun, that it never existed. I didn't know what to think of that - already frustrated enough so I just thanked him and left.

Thursday I call Branchburg and get a recorded phone message that they can't answer right now, etc, etc - leave a short message and a number and they will call me back ASAP. So i told them the three guns I was looking for and asked them to call. Did that happen? Of course not. I waited four hours and never heard a thing. So, not one to give up easily, I called again. This time I got to talk to a real human being - a receptionist. I told her about the previous call and lack of response, said I was interested in three guns. She said that she'd connect me - guess what happens next. I looked at the timer on my phone - 17 minutes and no one picks up. That's it, I've had it - I hang up,

The next day it dawns on me that there was a vehicle on their site to message the individual stores. I give it one last try and send a message, via their site, to Branchburg. I get the your message has been sent notification and that someone would respond forthwith. Still waiting.

If any  one of these scenarios had played singly, I may not of thought much of it - just dismissing it as not great CS in that one particular instance. But to have what happened in three stores of the same chain I have to think that there must be some kind of systemic disconnect. That these stores are making money in spite of themselves. That with a few tweaks and training they could probably increase their revenue by at least 50%. So I wrote to the managing partner of HG and related the experiences I detailed above. I will be anxious to see if I get any response, or if indeed it is systemic and it starts at the top. It will take something pretty special for me to ever patronize one of their stores again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: The above experience just exacerbated my gun-buying jones, so I satisfied that this morning. I'll post the results in a separate thread when my dealer receives the goods.

PB

• Informative 1

I've experienced the same. Terrible customer service and high prices. That's a bad combo for a business. I almost got the impression they thought they were the only show in town to buy firearms from, so they have a captive audience. This is not the case.

I was not happy with their attitude or customer service this weekend as well.  

58 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I was not happy with their attitude or customer service this weekend as well.  

Do share... I had some convos and they were interested in being a vendor... but need to know any potential issues members may have.

I have been at their range a few times now and can note some of my issues. 

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

I have revived this thread for a reason - it led me to look at HG's website. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they listed their used gun inventory, by store, on the site. I spent some time perusing the lists of guns for each store and was surprised to find some interesting S&W's. I made a list six guns in which I was interested.

Just so happened that on Wed (3/6) I had a Senior Billiards League match at Woodbridge. Looking at the map, I realized that it was only a stone's throw from the Rahway store. I also noted that by simply heading due west on Rt 22/78 I could also hit the Branchburg and Easton stores, while working my way back home.

I set off that morning with my list and a pocket full of cash. I should mention that the list, as it appears on their site, includes SKU numbers - which, one would think would make it an easy task to check inventory to see if a particular gun was still available.

I was looking for two guns at the Rahway store. So, did the counterman simply go to a terminal and punch in the SKU's? That would be too easy. We spent the next 15 to 20 minutes looking in every display case in the store - all to no avail. No guns.

Off to Branchburg. I obviously didn't take a close enough look at the website because when I got there I found the store was closed on Wednesdays - my bad. I figured I could call them the next day. I had three guns on the list from the Branchburg store.

Now for their premiere store - Easton, only one gun on the list for Easton, but it was a doozie - one that I doubted even existed, but I just couldn't take the chance. After waiting a while, a nice older gentleman waited on me. I asked if they had  that particular model as listed on their website. Again, we repeated the scene from Rahway with both of us looking in every display case. He kept saying that he knew they had another version of that gun - to which I repeatedly replied that was not what I was after. He seemed totally befuddled and finally disappeared into the back office, only to come out five minutes later saying that he had had someone check the list and the gun was supposed to still be there (so they do have the capability to check inventory, they just don't avail themselves of it). He told me that the person that would know was out of the building, but would be back in less than an hour. I left all my contact info and asked them to call me when they confirmed the status of that particular gun.

I was in my car, pulling out of the parking lot when he came out the front door and flagged me down. He told me that the person that would know had just come in the back door and had told him that there was no gun, that it never existed. I didn't know what to think of that - already frustrated enough so I just thanked him and left.

Thursday I call Branchburg and get a recorded phone message that they can't answer right now, etc, etc - leave a short message and a number and they will call me back ASAP. So i told them the three guns I was looking for and asked them to call. Did that happen? Of course not. I waited four hours and never heard a thing. So, not one to give up easily, I called again. This time I got to talk to a real human being - a receptionist. I told her about the previous call and lack of response, said I was interested in three guns. She said that she'd connect me - guess what happens next. I looked at the timer on my phone - 17 minutes and no one picks up. That's it, I've had it - I hang up,

The next day it dawns on me that there was a vehicle on their site to message the individual stores. I give it one last try and send a message, via their site, to Branchburg. I get the your message has been sent notification and that someone would respond forthwith. Still waiting.

If any  one of these scenarios had played singly, I may not of thought much of it - just dismissing it as not great CS in that one particular instance. But to have what happened in three stores of the same chain I have to think that there must be some kind of systemic disconnect. That these stores are making money in spite of themselves. That with a few tweaks and training they could probably increase their revenue by at least 50%. So I wrote to the managing partner of HG and related the experiences I detailed above. I will be anxious to see if I get any response, or if indeed it is systemic and it starts at the top. It will take something pretty special for me to ever patronize one of their stores again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: The above experience just exacerbated my gun-buying jones, so I satisfied that this morning. I'll post the results in a separate thread when my dealer receives the goods.

PB

Crazy, was it a used gun? or a new gun you were looking for?  Never existed? Yikes. 

5 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Used. A S&W N-frame - naturally

If you PM me a link, will try to find it there. =P 

So my own observations are that the majority of the guys behind the counter are relatively inexperienced gun guys, especially when it comes to anything more than 20 years old or with that spinny cylinder thing. =P

Some of the counter guys that are obviously new do know that but one in particularly is soooo sure of himself even when dead wrong.   There was also a big price issue, they had a rifle tagged with wrong price and would not sell it to the guy, was a $700 rifle marked for $300 or $400 or so.

But their bread and butter of course is people who want to go shoot indoors or rent a gun.  It's the only public indoor range in the area until you get out to Allentown area. Most of the public/private gun clubs in the area here are outdoor only.  If you are in the area, I would suggest making it out to 507 Outfitters,  right behind Heritage Guild, great gun shop and far more knowledgeable folks and tons of used guns, even revolvers.  Owner is there on site, pleasant guy.  Tons of CZs too. =) Used guns are also very reasonably priced.

47 minutes ago, Maksim said:

If you PM me a link, will try to find it there. =P 

Thanks, but at this point I'll wait and see if the managing partner responds, and if he does, I'll take it up with him. Doubtful that it ever existed in their possession. Very, very rare.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just now, Pizza Bob said:

Thanks, but at this point I'll wait and see if the managing partner responds, and if he does, I'll take it up with him. Doubtful that it ever existed in their possession. Very, very rare.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What was it? 

Just now, Pizza Bob said:

Come on Maks, does Macy's tell Bloomingdales?

HAHA, I actually have no interest in them right now.  I Was just there recently and could of sworn I saw a few large frame Smith Revolvers, along with that fairly nice Python. 

I am all about the snakes and ponys now. 

14 hours ago, Maksim said:

Do share... I had some convos and they were interested in being a vendor... but need to know any potential issues members may have.

I have been at their range a few times now and can note some of my issues. 

Not much really to tell.  They were not very welcoming, and  they didn't go that extra distance to make me feel valued as a customer.   I certainly wouldn't support their higher pricing with that attitude.  I probably wouldn't make the hike and go back again.  In conversations before visiting, they weren't really good at follow-up.  The Legal Shield representative that was there was much more customer focused. 

I have a similar rant on here about them. They shuffle their guns from store to store so much even they don’t know where they are. True. You sometimes have to lean on them to locate it. They even had me my trips back and forth from Branchburg to Easton twice one day. There’s another long story over a S&W shield very similar. All I can say is if you get a guy named Matt involved, and you almost always do, he’ll straighten it out and make the deal worth your while. But be braced for an adventure.