45Doll

Only $50 For Handgun Purchase Permits

I think Murphy's budget proposal for firearms deserves it's own thread. From NJ.com:

"His budget proposal would hike the cost of handgun purchase permits from $2 to $50; firearms identification cards from $5 to $100; handgun carry permits from $50 to $400; retail gun dealer licenses from $50 to $500; and wholesaler/manufacturer licenses from $150 to $1,500, among other fee hikes.

His budget anticipates collecting about $1.4 million in additional revenue from the fee. He also wants to impose a new 2.5 percent tax on guns and 10 percent tax on ammunition."

Don't you love the $400 carry permits?

We have to keep firearms out of reach of the hands of the good and just and poor.   Only politicians and lawyers and stormtroopers are criminals are  allowed to have them, and a few rich people that may know politicians and lawyers.    

38 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Sounds fair

:peep:

Communist 

58 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I think Murphy's budget proposal for firearms deserves it's own thread. From NJ.com:

"His budget proposal would hike the cost of handgun purchase permits from $2 to $50; firearms identification cards from $5 to $100; handgun carry permits from $50 to $400; retail gun dealer licenses from $50 to $500; and wholesaler/manufacturer licenses from $150 to $1,500, among other fee hikes.

His budget anticipates collecting about $1.4 million in additional revenue from the fee. He also wants to impose a new 2.5 percent tax on guns and 10 percent tax on ammunition."

Don't you love the $400 carry permits?

Does the $400.00 Carry permits Include retired Leos or are they special this time as well?

So this is what I was afraid of.

The big change here is really for the FFLs.  Yikes... 

Now are these permit fees on top of the excise taxes?

If so... come to PA guys... buy your guns here.  Vendors, feel free to set up shop here. =)

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Which means there will be a big run on purchases the next few weeks as people panic to beat the rush.

I hope @remixer thanks Murphy for this additional business.  :good:

53 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Which means there will be a big run on purchases the next few weeks as people panic to beat the rush.

I hope @remixer thanks Murphy for this additional business.  :good:

Why?  What additional business would this generate?

If you got permits you are already buying... if you have an fid as well... making it more expensive does not drive more people to buy :)

the increase tax would not cause people to run out and buy more guns before it takes place.

On a 500.00 gun its $12.50. people in NJ will just get use to it like they do everything else. 12.50 is not going to make someone rush out today to buy something.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maksim said:

So this is what I was afraid of.

Now are these permit fees on top of the excise taxes?

If so... come to PA guys... buy your guns here.  Vendors, feel free to set up shop here. =)

The FFL fee sucks but its not like it will drive anyone out of business unless they were playing ffl and not really running it as a business. thats the least of the problems.

The Permit fee's suck since it just add's more cost to the customer.
FID increase sucks as well.. i wonder if they will want 100 bucks for a lost card or if you move or is this just the initial?

5 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

These additional cost take effect yet ? 

No.

Costs are set through legislation so I believe they would have to pass that first.  Apparently he tried it last year and it failed?

I do think if we have everyone try and reach out and talk about how it is a burden and too expensive,  it will not pass. But if it does, I am sure NRA, GOA and SAF would be all over this.

6 minutes ago, Maksim said:

No.

Costs are set through legislation so I believe they would have to pass that first.  Apparently he tried it last year and it failed?

I do think if we have everyone try and reach out and talk about how it is a burden and too expensive,  it will not pass. But if it does, I am sure NRA, GOA and SAF would be all over this.

Thank you for the quick response. Thankful that it would have to legislators unfortunately I have very little faith in them doing the right thing, going from their track record. 

3 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Thank you for the quick response. Thankful that it would have to legislators unfortunately I have very little faith in them doing the right thing, going from their track record. 

I think the large issue is that they sure as heck know it is now a financial burden.  Think about it, $100 for FID, $20 - $60 for background checks/prints, then $50 for pistol permits + $16 for NICS... you are over $200 for just looking to exercise your rights.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, remixer said:

Why?  What additional business would this generate?

If you got permits you are already buying... if you have an fid as well... making it more expensive does not drive more people to buy :)

the increase tax would not cause people to run out and buy more guns before it takes place.

But the cost of getting the FID or P2P would. For someone sitting on the fence or procrastinating, paying more LATER could cause them to act NOW. Which is better, paying $6 for 3 permits or paying $150 for 3 permits?

How about someone getting a FID, that $95 difference more than pays for the fingerprinting. For the paycheck to paycheck crowd (3/4 of the population), those few bucks makes a big difference.

I put in for 3 P2Ps today for 6 bucks.  I can only speak for myself but I will never pay $150 for those same 3 permits!  Buying a handgun is my Constitutional right as a law abiding American citizen and I should not be charged any amount to exercise that right.  I went along with the $2 charge since $2 is a joke.  $50 is no joke and I won't ever pay it if it passes. I will simply expand my long arms collection and live with the hand guns I already have!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I put in for 3 P2Ps today for 6 bucks.  I can only speak for myself but I will never pay $150 for those same 3 permits!  Buying a handgun is my Constitutional right as a law abiding American citizen and I should not be charged any amount to exercise that right.  I went along with the $2 charge since $2 is a joke.  $50 is no joke and I won't ever pay it if it passes. I will simply expand my long arms collection and live with the hand guns I already have!

Unfortunately, that means they have won.  I don't know if I can do that.  I am not saying what you would do is right or wrong, just that I wouldn't do it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Unfortunately, that means they have won.  I don't know if I can do that.  I am not saying what you would do is right or wrong, just that I wouldn't do it.

I understand your thinking Ray and to a point, I agree. However, if we pay $50, what stops him from raising it to $100 or more in the future?

If we pay the $50, he wins!......Just another way of looking at it!  What I am saying is, I would not get permits just in case I find something I like and just let them expire if I don't.  If I really wanted something and knew it was available, I would probably hold my nose and pay the stupid $50 but I certainly don't want to!

9 minutes ago, Bowling Ball said:

You can't expect the king to tax his men. 

They need them to keep voting,  police are great at voting on local elections. 

Considering that the CCW is primarily for LEO... I fully expect it to be in effect as well.

Overall though, I suspect they will receive lots of outrage and then they will cut the fees to around $10 to $20 for a pistol permit, $25 to $50 for FID, and $100 for CCW. 

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

THAT is essentially the problem, and what theu r trying to achieve and if you do THAT they have won...   

Just like the plays from the war agaisnt big tobacco playbook

52 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Considering that the CCW is primarily for LEO... I fully expect it to be in effect as well.

Overall though, I suspect they will receive lots of outrage and then they will cut the fees to around $10 to $20 for a pistol permit, $25 to $50 for FID, and $100 for CCW. 

The scuttlebutt is that is it going to be reduced for leo to 150 and they are crying about that

• Agree 1

Exactly what they want to do.

make it more expensive so you don’t want to exercise your rights.

This is about making it more expensive for the dealer and the consumer.

If 50 is in fact the final number they pass for each permit handgun sales in Nj will plummet as people will get one instead of 2 or 3. 

I think the goal is 2 parts

1. Make it more expensive to purchase and make it more difficult and expensive to obtain permits and fid cards.

2. Make it more expensive to operate as an FFL while limiting the ability to sell guns and ammunition by making it more expensive for the consumer.

While some will find a solution by not buying guns in Nj (as was recommended by the owner of this forum) it’s not a solution for handguns.  It will also open up another door for the left to make it illegal to purchase a rifle out of state and transported to NJ.  If you think the left will not continue to learn how people will get around these stupid laws think again. 

Once they are able to limit out of state pickups of firearms they will then go after transfers of firearms into Nj.

Can you imagine if they made a tax/fee with sliding scale on out of state purchases based on msrp of the firearm being transferred that the ffl must collect at time or transfer. 

Their end game is to limit ownership and sales of firearms to Nj residents.

• Agree 3
  • Sad 1