45Doll

Only $50 For Handgun Purchase Permits

16 hours ago, Screwball said:

Please show me one case where a deviation in another state resulted in a criminal charge in NJ. And to point out, that is different than illegally transporting a firearm in whichever scenario you can find (PA permit holders coming across the bridge and getting stopped, for example). As long as you follow the laws wherever you are at... there likely won’t be issues (remember there is the FOPA, which has it’s own guidelines to follow).

I carried my S&W 642-1 when I drove out to Maine. I did stop at Cabela’s near Portland in both directions (to look going up, and to take a leak coming back). How many NJ gun laws did I break? I can tell you... zero! Firearm was locked in travel lock box until I got to NH, which was the first state I legally could carry in. Same for the trip back, but in reverse. Didn’t go to the movies on the way back (once in NJ), nor out to eat. Went home... gun went back into the safe, and I went about the rest of my day.

Why do people say “to/from” no matter what? Because that is the simplest way to explain the law without some person to misunderstand, and get jammed up grabbing a bite to eat from the rest area near the Turnpike/195 exit.

And to be clear... it isn’t just to/from the range. It is to/from specific locations, and some of that depends on type of firearm (hollow points also fall into that, as well). If it is a long gun, and you have a FID... current law doesn’t make you adhere to “to/from.” Handguns... you’d need a valid NJ carry permit for a similar ability (hollow points are still a no-go... unless current L/E; retired L/E cannot carry hollow points).

Aitken was arrested in January 2009 when a Mount Laurel police officer found three unloaded guns in his car. Aitken had purchased the guns legally in Colorado, but lacked a permit to carry them in New Jersey.

Aitken served almost four months in a state prison for unlawful possession of a weapon and other offenses before Christie commuted his sentence in December 2010.

His release came after more than 15,000 people demanded Aitken's freedom on a Facebook page petition.

An appeals court later overturned Aitken's conviction for the weapons offense, ruling he should have been exempt from prosecution because he was in the process of moving when the arrest occurred.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2018/01/13/christie-brian-aitken-gun-law-pardon/1030859001/

So to transfer and purchase a pistol you’re at 50bucks for the permit. 20 to NJSP portal so they can send your local pd background check, 45 for NICS, 40-60 for transfer fee from FFl. We’re well past the &100 mark. 

15 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Nics going from $15 to $45 in proposal. Since we have ogam, that’s $100 added to a pistol if the permits go to $50. This is insane 

FYI 

Nics at 45.00
Permit at 50.00
Fid 100.00

You can say good bye to most gun stores in NJ. That would be a cost of 200.00 just to get your first firearm.

at that point it would pretty much ruin the gun market in NJ. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, remixer said:

Our best bet would be to target local senators. Maybe even reach out to sweeny. The power resides in the senate not the governor's mansion. Sweeny is key. Get him onboard to to understand this will do nothing for the budget but will hurt people locally in there pockets including his fudd's

Steve, your complete post was spot on, but I'll touch on this part, which goes along with what I said about snuffing out the bill BEFORE it comes to a vote.

I don't have the exact answer now, but one way I believe it could work is we need to put MAJOR pressure on a Bill sponsor right at the point that the Bill is released/published, before it gets to conference. Somehow put extreme legal scare tactics on the Bill sponsor (or co-sponsors) that if that bill makes it to the floor for a vote, all legal hell (and harassment) will fall on that politician. Not sure how we can accomplish that yet....

It's using the same tactics the Dems used on smearing Kavanaugh with all their accusations and crap they dreamed up. It's the same tactics Jerry Nadler is using now to harass all of Trump's 80 family and associates  for all types of documents searching for (fake) collusion. The Dems don't care if what they spew if true or false, it just intimidates the person they are targeting.

We have to stop being the nice guys and it's time to let these individual politicians know were done taking their B.S. Using Dem tactics back against themselves is the first step.

What others are there? The courts and the voting booth certainly aren't getting it done.

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

Steve, your complete post was spot on, but I'll touch on this part, which goes along with what I said about snuffing out the bill BEFORE it comes to a vote.

I don't have the exact answer now, but one way I believe it could work is we need to put MAJOR pressure on a Bill sponsor right at the point that the Bill is released/published, before it gets to conference. Somehow put extreme legal scare tactics on the Bill sponsor (or co-sponsors) that if that bill makes it to the floor for a vote, all legal hell (and harassment) will fall on that politician. Not sure how we can accomplish that yet....

It's using the same tactics the Dems used on smearing Kavanaugh with all their accusations and crap they dreamed up. It's the same tactics Jerry Nadler is using now to harass all of Trump's 80 family and associates  for all types of documents searching for (fake) collusion. The Dems don't care if what they spew if true or false, it just intimidates the person they are targeting.

We have to stop being the nice guys and it's time to let these individual politicians know were done taking their B.S. Using Dem tactics back against themselves is the first step.

What others are there? The courts and the voting booth certainly aren't getting it done.

FYI... If this does go through we can all say we were raped by (Insert NJ Senators Name) and #metoo

3 hours ago, remixer said:

I have faith that they will rule in our favor.... I have little faith they will take the case. 

Scotus is not the answer....   I'm not sure why they dont take NJ cases.... Baffles me...

I agree. I would really love for them to address the 2A cases, but here is why I think they don't. If you look across the country, there are MANY anti-2A laws on the books. Example, our mag ban in NJ, NY SAFE ACT, WA registration, CA mag ban, Red Flag laws, different applications, etc. and that's before you even look at all the different CCW laws in the states and even the permitting process in the states. Hell, just in NJ we have different PDs making us do different crap to get permits. There are a lot more...

How does the SCOTUS decide which one of these anti-2A cases to take on? They could spend all year just arguing the separate 2A cases and not take on any other issues.

The only way I see it work to our advantage is for the SCOTUS to make blanket rulings that apply to all 50 states evenly. With as fragmented as the gun laws are in each state, and the crazy Dem leadership in some states,  I just don't see them stepping into that hornets nest.

52 minutes ago, remixer said:

FYI 

Nics at 45.00
Permit at 50.00
Fid 100.00

You can say good bye to most gun stores in NJ. That would be a cost of 200.00 just to get your first firearm.

at that point it would pretty much ruin the gun market in NJ

and that right there is their end game

as ive said......they've already taken this shit to the point that i will have a residence established in a free state before i buy another firearm. i will take my business to states that want it.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, wreckless said:

Aitken was arrested in January 2009 when a Mount Laurel police officer found three unloaded guns in his car. Aitken had purchased the guns legally in Colorado, but lacked a permit to carry them in New Jersey.

Aitken served almost four months in a state prison for unlawful possession of a weapon and other offenses before Christie commuted his sentence in December 2010.

His release came after more than 15,000 people demanded Aitken's freedom on a Facebook page petition.

An appeals court later overturned Aitken's conviction for the weapons offense, ruling he should have been exempt from prosecution because he was in the process of moving when the arrest occurred.

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/local/south-jersey/2018/01/13/christie-brian-aitken-gun-law-pardon/1030859001/

I’m aware... but he was arrested for a crime “committed” within NJ (Mount Laurel, to be exact). Not what I asked.

If Aitken was going from/to any of the listed places in the transportation statues (home, range, gun shop, etc), he wouldn’t have been in violation of the law... or similarly, if he had a FID card. There are plenty of laws I completely disagree with, but ignorance of the law is not an excuse. It is the same issue for PA carry permit holders carrying handguns that cross into NJ... as the law is written, that is illegal. Again, I don’t agree with it... but it is what it is.

That original question was specifically asked due to the impression that if you stop for something as mundane as lottery tickets in PA with a handgun (or a long gun without FID; and judging you are following PA laws in regards to firearms transportation), NJ can lock you up for an “unreasonable deviation.” That is incorrect; the deviation would have to take place within NJ jurisdiction.

4 hours ago, SIGMan Freud said:

It's interesting that Gov Gopher cites the revenue these fees will generate.

Not sure where they get the ammo numbers from. They’re clueless right now to our purchases. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BobA said:

Not sure where they get the ammo numbers from. They’re clueless right now to our purchases. 

Same way he gets the numbers for tax revenues from proposed legal pot sales.  His staff makes them up, based on wildly over-optimistic assumptions. 

1 hour ago, remixer said:

FYI 

Nics at 45.00
Permit at 50.00
Fid 100.00

at that point it would pretty much ruin the gun market in NJ. 

It’s a hard decision for me. I want to support local, but it disgusts me to give that much $support to the state.. We are talking about a constitutional right. 

You are probably right. I hate losing 

32 minutes ago, BobA said:

not totally. how many walk into dicks or hagues or bobs or any other place that sells ammo and use their credit cards?  it's relatively easy for the right people to glean information from cc companies.....

40 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It’s a hard decision for me. I want to support local, but it disgusts me to give that much $support to the state.. We are talking about a constitutional right. 

You are probably right. I hate losing 

You are already supporting them with your income, sales, and property taxes

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

I’m aware... but he was arrested for a crime “committed” within NJ (Mount Laurel, to be exact). Not what I asked.

If Aitken was going from/to any of the listed places in the transportation statues (home, range, gun shop, etc), he wouldn’t have been in violation of the law... or similarly, if he had a FID card. There are plenty of laws I completely disagree with, but ignorance of the law is not an excuse. It is the same issue for PA carry permit holders carrying handguns that cross into NJ... as the law is written, that is illegal. Again, I don’t agree with it... but it is what it is.

That original question was specifically asked due to the impression that if you stop for something as mundane as lottery tickets in PA with a handgun (or a long gun without FID; and judging you are following PA laws in regards to firearms transportation), NJ can lock you up for an “unreasonable deviation.” That is incorrect; the deviation would have to take place within NJ jurisdiction.

Now I understand and yes, you are correct.

19 hours ago, Heronimo42 said:

I'm curious- for states that have similar requirements, how much do they cost there?

In Fulton County NY it costs $7 to add or remove a handgun from your permit If you add and remove in the same visit to the sheriff it's only the $7 charge.. Initial permit fee was around $110 but that's a one time fee. I can't speak for other countries as they could charge more or less.

NY FFL's go straight to FBI for NICS so no extra charge there.

1 hour ago, Heronimo42 said:

how much will permit extensions cost?

There is no fee listed for them.  Never has been. They are optional though at discretion of the issuing authority.  I don't know anywhere they won't extend a permit but there may be one.

3 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

There is no fee listed for them.  Never has been. They are optional though at discretion of the issuing authority.  I don't know anywhere they won't extend a permit but there may be one.

Maybe there will be a fee. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Imposed by "Anything to Make a Buck Murphy"!!!

You forgot to add Murphy's other favorite motto: "Guns for me, but no guns for thee". Here's a picture from his speech on Tuesday. Notice anything?

crazy.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

how much are you willing to pay?

I end up losing this fight (I vote for pro 2A candidates, am an NRA member, have donated to varios NJ Firearms orgs and write letters to state reps), I'd pay up to $10.  But that's me, I realize it shouldn't even an issue. 

I was trying to come up with any other constitutional right that has a fee or pay for play attached to it.  

Inoro

49 minutes ago, Heronimo42 said:

I was trying to come up with any other constitutional right that has a fee or pay for play attached to it.  

I propose a fee for registering to vote. Cost of this fee will be used to cover the cost of state elections and fund “election security studies”. Registering will be required yearly and be reflected on a state-issued ID. 

• Agree 2

HEY FUDDS! Your bear gonna cost you a lot more this time around.  Is it time yet?

Murphy called for a tax on gun sales as a candidate, and his first budget blueprint a year ago included $1.4 million toward that end. It wasn’t approved by lawmakers but is now part of a larger package of planned changes.

• Firearms fees, most which haven’t been altered since 1966, would increase significantly by as much as 25-fold, yielding $3.912 million in revenue.
  • A new excise tax on ammunition sales of 10 percent would generate $3.2 million.
  • A new excise tax on firearms sales of 2.5 percent would generate $1.4 million.
  • Hunters would pay $100 for a black bear permit, rather than $2. This is projected to produce $500,000 in additional revenue.

“It was long past time that we did this last year, when we took so many steps to restore our standing as a national leader in gun safety. And it’s even more past time today,” Murphy said.

“We’re not being terribly radical on this. Our current gun fees were set in 1966,” Murphy said. “It’s now 2019. It’s actually cheaper to get a permit to purchase a handgun, $2, than it is to get a dog license in many of our communities.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

not totally. how many walk into dicks or hagues or bobs or any other place that sells ammo and use their credit cards?  it's relatively easy for the right people to glean information from cc companies.....

I'm not convinced those purchases equal the amounts most get on line or at shows.

4 hours ago, Heronimo42 said:

how much will permit extensions cost?

THIS?  This is your concern?

10 minutes ago, BobA said:

“We’re not being terribly radical on this. Our current gun fees were set in 1966,” Murphy said. “It’s now 2019. It’s actually cheaper to get a permit to purchase a handgun, $2, than it is to get a dog license in many of our communities.”

This guy is such a smarmy douche.  Tying this to the budget as if it’s to raise money yet unabashedly claiming it is for safety. He’s admitting this increase is to reduce overall ownership by stronger barriers to entry. He’s not even trying to claim it’s to cover some cost.