Maksim

Why You Should Buy Firearms and Accessories at a Live gun Auction

Auctions are great fun.  I used to go to many with my mom when she was an antiques dealer.  You'd be surprised how many pieces of furniture worth thousands sold for $50 because it was painted or had some other issue that could be fixed with refinishing.   I've also seen junk worth only $50 sell for $150 because of pride.

• Like 1

I've bought a couple long guns at auction and have bid on both handguns and long guns - all this at a small auction house in PA. 

I love auction dynamics. My SO and I attended many of David Rago's Arts & Crafts auctions in Lambertville. Purchased many pieces of A&C pottery there. When a piece goes for far more than expected, once the hammer falls there is almost a cathartic release and, usually, the next piece on the block suffers. We attended one of these auctions where the catalog cover piece went for three times the high auction estimate. My SO then was able to buy the next piece at below the low auction estimate - a piece that later appraised at more than twice what she paid for it.

I spotted a rifle that I really wanted badly at the last gun auction I attended. The majority of the rifles there were milsurp and the one I wanted was a high-end lever action. I figured I stood a good chance to steal this rifle. When it came up on the block, the auctioneer held it up and said, "I don't even know what caliber this is." Simultaneously I and another bidder called out the caliber. Damn - another person who knew what it was. We ended up bidding against each other. I stopped and the auctioneer asked me if I really wanted to drop out at that point - said, you'll be sorry. I went one more $50 increment and the other bidder didn't raise the ante. Still paid considerably less than what they were bringing on GB.

Auctions are a hoot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

I LOVE auctions - but have not yet been to a firearms auction. If I combine those 2 passions, I'm convinced I could be headed straight to the poorhouse! LOL.

But, in general, that tape gave good advice - I will personally stress the importance of previews - particularly if you can hit one the day BEFORE the auction. That gives you time to go away, do your research, and set yourself a firm "max price" that you're willing to bid for each item. For me personally, I like to know what a item is worth, and more importantly, what I'm personally willing to pay - and to figure that all out in the "calm" of my home the night before the event, rather than making snap decisions in the "exciting" environment of the live auction house (the only exception to that is if it's a collectible where I already have a good body of knowledge and can just glance at it and pretty much know it's value). But, generally speaking, due diligence and self-discipline are key for auction success. Otherwise, it's too easy to get swept up! It's very addictive. Over time, you get to know the psychology of it, too - kind of like playing poker - you don't want to "show your hand" to the other bidders.

31 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

kind of like playing poker - you don't want to "show your hand" to the other bidders.

What I learned from mom.

Never be the first to bid.  Don't get excited, put on your poker face.  If you are going to bid, wait until the bidding is down to a few people, after the majority of bidders have dropped out.  Bidding early only drives up the price and could start an unnecessary bidding war.  When you are bidding against two or more people, don't counter EVERY bid, again, it only drives up the price.  Bidding later shows other seasoned participants (including the auctioneer) that you are not a noob.  Once the bidding has gone beyond what you are willing to pay, keep your hands on your lap and shut up, if you keep bidding (out of spite) to drive up the price, thinking you are going to stick it to your opponent and make them pay more, DON'T.  You will get burned.

Winning auctions is most definitely like playing poker.

• Agree 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By sunriseantiques
      Selling 220 firearms both live and online. In addition selling many rounds of ammo, swords, bayonets and reloading gear.
      This is an outstanding auction with handguns (many new in box) long guns, shot guns and a nice collection of antique and civil war firearms...
      Auction starts live and webcast on April 9th - 79 Old York Rd. Chesterfield, NJ 08515
      There will be a live preview at 79 Old York Rd. Chesterfield, NJ on Thursday April 8th from 3-7 PM.   Preview on auction day starts at 9 AM.  
      Checkout will be day of sale.  We will conduct NICS checks on April 10th and April 11th.  Please note there are currently very long wait times for NICS checks to come back.
      We will allow up to 35 live bidders in the hall on auction day.  Please contact us at 888-639-4443 or [email protected] to reserve your spot.
      Live, simulcast online will be available via Hibid and Proxibid.
      We accept cash, checks and all credit cards.  6.625% tax if not exempt and 20% buyer's premium. 

• By sunriseantiques
      Selling 220 firearms both live and online. In addition selling many rounds of ammo, swords, bayonets and reloading gear.
      This is an outstanding auction with handguns (many new in box) long guns, shot guns and a nice collection of antique and civil war firearms...
      Auction starts live and webcast on April 9th - 79 Old York Rd. Chesterfield, NJ 08515
      There will be a live preview at 79 Old York Rd. Chesterfield, NJ on Thursday April 8th from 3-7 PM.   Preview on auction day starts at 9 AM.  
      Checkout will be day of sale.  We will conduct NICS checks on April 10th and April 11th.  Please note there are currently very long wait times for NICS checks to come back.
      We will allow up to 35 live bidders in the hall on auction day.  Please contact us at 888-639-4443 or [email protected] to reserve your spot.
      Live, simulcast online will be available via Hibid and Proxibid.
      We accept cash, checks and all credit cards.  6.625% tax if not exempt and 20% buyer's premium. 

• By sunriseantiques
      Our next gun auction is scheduled for April 9th 2021.  Taking consignments now.  Call or email to consign.  888-639-4443 or [email protected]...
      http://sunrise-antiques.com

• By sunriseantiques
      Our next gun auction is scheduled for April 9th 2021.  Taking consignments now.  Call or email to consign.  888-639-4443 or [email protected]...
      http://sunrise-antiques.com

• By sunriseantiques
      Exceptional Black Friday 2020 Firearms and Military Auction. Selling 242+ quality lots to include rifles, shotguns, pistols revolvers, bayonets and many lots of original German military.
      BUY YOUR GUS AND AMMO IN NEW JERSEY
      79 Old York Rd Chesterfield, NJ 08515
      We can be reached at -888-639-4443 or [email protected] with any auction questions. 
      AUCTION CATALOG CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://SUNRISE-ANTIQUES.HIBID.COM/AUCTIONS
      1000s of pictures – cut and paste link to access from Auctionzip 
      PRE-BIDDING OPEN NOW @ http://sunrise-antiques.hibid.com/auctions   This is an online only auction.  You may absentee / place your max bid up until the start time of the auction.  Pre-Bidding starts at 6 PM on November 21st.  The live auction catalog will start closing at 10 AM on Friday November 27th.  Each lot is staggered to close every 30 seconds.  If bids are received prior to the 30 second stagger the lot will be extended for another 2 minutes of bidding.  
      PLEASE NOTE AUCTION PICK UP IS SAT 11/28 and SUN 11/29 from 10AM – 2PM.  Please call us for exceptions.
      Visit us at http://sunrise-antiques.com
        We can offer you our 3d party shipper for shipping on all lots except guns. For furniture you will need to find your own freight company! For all other items, shipping may be provided by our local shipper. If you require shipping please contact the shipper prior to bidding for rates:   The UPS Store   Rich Deluca 272 Dunns Mill Rd Bordentown, NJ 08505 609-324-0040 [email protected] www.theupsstorelocal.com/5952   All shipping must be coordinated directly with the shipper. Please contact them for rates and availability.