On 3/9/2019 at 11:32 PM, badbaj said:

can you expound my friend? Im sorry i am really new at this.  I only have a handgun and beyond that, AR, PCC, Shotguns, I am at a lost haha

BTW, your PCC set-up is bada$$

Believe what he is saying is an AR with a 16" barrel - be it .223 or PCC - in a traditional AR configuration, will never  be under 27" long, at least in NJ.

My 16" upper with Phantom comp comes in at about 25" long, and the complete rifle at 34" (pinned at position 3 or 4). Considering an AR in .223 needs a buffer tube in most cases, you wont be shorter than about 32.5" long. Not sure that PCCs need the buffer for anything, but you are unlikely to find a 2" stock anywhere.

The only way I can imagine being at 27" would not be legal in NJ, and that is using a piston based 16" upper with a folding stock, like an LR300; or as HE said, a bullpup configuration, like the AUG.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:07 PM, Malice4you said:

No problem.

PSA's Freedom line is their entry-level stuff, that would be the stuff you probably should avoid.  I'm sure it will work fine, but I would prefer to spend what usually ends up being like 15-30% more than the Freedom stuff costs for the next step up.  And usually for $100-150 more, you can step up to something in the "premium" line.

Not everything comes with the bolt carrier group or charging handle, which you may or may not want as a kit.  Typically, expect a decent BCG and basic charging handle to add $100+

Are you planning on running cheap bulk .223/5.56x45 ammo - 55-62 grain stuff?  You'll likely see 3 options for barrel twist, 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9, and bullet weight you expect to use will have a [small] effect on what to pick.  For cheap bulk ammo, I'd stick with 1:9 or 1:8, but if you expect to use heavier ammo, like 69+grain stuff, go 1:7 or 1:8.  I'd say 1:8 is a good all-around twist for most ammo, though I have .223 rifles in all three twist rates. 

Are you going to be using an optic?  If the upper has a built-in front sight post, that can be a real pain to deal with.

Actually, for the money, the Freedom is very tough to beat.  Plenty have done beater tests on them and they pass quite well.   Take a look at the reviews, they are great value!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Believe what he is saying is an AR with a 16" barrel - be it .223 or PCC - in a traditional AR configuration, will never  be under 27" long, at least in NJ.

My 16" upper with Phantom comp comes in at about 25" long, and the complete rifle at 34" (pinned at position 3 or 4). Considering an AR in .223 needs a buffer tube in most cases, you wont be shorter than about 32.5" long. Not sure that PCCs need the buffer for anything, but you are unlikely to find a 2" stock anywhere.

The only way I can imagine being at 27" would not be legal in NJ, and that is using a piston based 16" upper with a folding stock, like an LR300; or as HE said, a bullpup configuration, like the AUG.

ahh got it! Thanks

I kind of agree with the sentiment expressed above re ARs in NJ, unfortunately.  If I were new to this, I would just get a good lever action rifle in a pistol caliber.  Even the state of NJ will be hard pressed to ban those.

33 minutes ago, PDM said:

I kind of agree with the sentiment expressed above re ARs in NJ, unfortunately.  If I were new to this, I would just get a good lever action rifle in a pistol caliber.  Even the state of NJ will be hard pressed to ban those.

I have a habit of buying 2-3 of what ever the state is trying to ban... Fook em!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

So if you order an Upper from PSA and it comes with the Flash Hider. Are you still able to have it shipped to NJ and then have the work done to have it removed and pin a Muzzle Break on it? If it’s just an upper it’s not technically a rifle yet.

Same with the Lower. I am planning on building an AR and looking at the Hogue stocks. If I wasn’t able to purchase a lower with a fixed stock, and it came with a collapsible stock, could I just bring it to a shop and have it pinned? Since it’s still not a complete rifle?

7 hours ago, Mike Jones said:

So if you order an Upper from PSA and it comes with the Flash Hider. Are you still able to have it shipped to NJ and then have the work done to have it removed and pin a Muzzle Break on it? If it’s just an upper it’s not technically a rifle yet.

Same with the Lower. I am planning on building an AR and looking at the Hogue stocks. If I wasn’t able to purchase a lower with a fixed stock, and it came with a collapsible stock, could I just bring it to a shop and have it pinned? Since it’s still not a complete rifle?

Uppers are not considered a firearm so technically any configuration is legal assuming you dont have a lower to put it on (constructive intent). As long as the upper is in a complaint state WHEN you take possession of the compliant lower, you are good to go (no bayonet lug, pinned/welded muzzle brake, overall barrel length 16" minimum). Now who is gonna monitor you while you build an AR to ensure you follow every step exactly right? You decide.

As for the lower. the stripped lower is considered a firearm so even if you own absolutely nothing, and only have a stripped lower. The moment you own a folding/collapsible stock and a stripped lower it can be considered constructive intent.

So here are your options for lowers:

1. Order a lower with collapsible stock combo and send it to an FFL that is also a gunsmith and they can pin the stock before transfering it over to you. (you'd have to coordinate with the ffl/gunsmith, do NOT just send them non compliant firearms without giving them a heads up)

2. Order a collapsible stock first, pin it first, then order a lower to put it on. Downside is you dont get to see how it feels like to shoulder the whole rifle beforehand.

3. Order a fixed stock lower.

Again, who is going to monitor your every step of the way to make sure you are in compliance at every single step? Thats for you to decide.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Maksim said:

And for the money, I REALLY like the Magpul fixed MOE stock...

Here it is, fully NJ Kosher.

16" WOA barrel and Kaw 3 Gun brake pinned by @remixer

That’s a good looking stock as well. Just starting the process, and don’t have the knowledge of what’s available. So I literally don’t know what I don’t know. 

I appreciate all all your help. Maksim, you as well!

On 4/4/2019 at 8:08 AM, EngineerJet said:

Uppers are not considered a firearm so technically any configuration is legal assuming you dont have a lower to put it on (constructive intent). As long as the upper is in a complaint state WHEN you take possession of the compliant lower, you are good to go (no bayonet lug, pinned/welded muzzle brake, overall barrel length 16" minimum). Now who is gonna monitor you while you build an AR to ensure you follow every step exactly right? You decide.

As for the lower. the stripped lower is considered a firearm so even if you own absolutely nothing, and only have a stripped lower. The moment you own a folding/collapsible stock and a stripped lower it can be considered constructive intent.

So here are your options for lowers:

1. Order a lower with collapsible stock combo and send it to an FFL that is also a gunsmith and they can pin the stock before transfering it over to you. (you'd have to coordinate with the ffl/gunsmith, do NOT just send them non compliant firearms without giving them a heads up)

2. Order a collapsible stock first, pin it first, then order a lower to put it on. Downside is you dont get to see how it feels like to shoulder the whole rifle beforehand.

3. Order a fixed stock lower.

Again, who is going to monitor your every step of the way to make sure you are in compliance at every single step? Thats for you to decide.

If I ordered it and sent it to an FFL (assuming it’s a PSA full lower). Is it “legal” to have it shipped there and then pinned because it’s still under the care of an FFL dealer? 

The likelihood of “who” would have a problem with it. But considering the state we are in, and I would really like to avoid large naked men surrounding me in communal showers for exercising a Constitutional Right here in NJ... it’s always better to err on the side of caution. 

Wiuld each piece that I sent there cause a FFL transfer fee? Or only the lower considering that’s the only “gun” portion of the gun? The other items would simply be a “pay only for the work being done?”

1 hour ago, Mike Jones said:

If I ordered it and sent it to an FFL (assuming it’s a PSA full lower). Is it “legal” to have it shipped there and then pinned because it’s still under the care of an FFL dealer? 

The likelihood of “who” would have a problem with it. But considering the state we are in, and I would really like to avoid large naked men surrounding me in communal showers for exercising a Constitutional Right here in NJ... it’s always better to err on the side of caution. 

Wiuld each piece that I sent there cause a FFL transfer fee? Or only the lower considering that’s the only “gun” portion of the gun? The other items would simply be a “pay only for the work being done?”

Just a heads up, PSA will not ship lowers to NJ. You can try but last time I tried ordering a lower from them they wouldn't do it.

You can also ask your FFL if they can order what you want. But PSA isn't the best with answering phones, even for dealers.

The only piece that needs to go through the FFL is the lower itself, the part with the serial number. The trigger assembly, stock, pistol grip, it is all accessories which can be sent directly to you.

The "who" is the big brother... But in all seriousness you'll probably be fine. Unless you broadcast on social media that you are putting together an AR with a collapsible stock, you should he fine.

18 minutes ago, EngineerJet said:

Just a heads up, PSA will not ship lowers to NJ. You can try but last time I tried ordering a lower from them they wouldn't do it.

You can also ask your FFL if they can order what you want. But PSA isn't the best with answering phones, even for dealers.

The only piece that needs to go through the FFL is the lower itself, the part with the serial number. The trigger assembly, stock, pistol grip, it is all accessories which can be sent directly to you.

The "who" is the big brother... But in all seriousness you'll probably be fine. Unless you broadcast on social media that you are putting together an AR with a collapsible stock, you should he fine.

Thanks! So where would you recommend buying a lower from that will ship to NJ? I could buy a stripped one from a dealer I’m sure, and a kit, but I’m not as familiar with putting it together yet. Could always watch YT videos though.

another Q... ordering a pistol from Gun Buyer dot com, or any site for that matter.... will they ship to a local FFL or direct? I’m assuming FFL, which means I’d have to research the FFL fees of the ones around me, which I’m sure will vary. 

44 minutes ago, Mike Jones said:

Thanks! So where would you recommend buying a lower from that will ship to NJ? I could buy a stripped one from a dealer I’m sure, and a kit, but I’m not as familiar with putting it together yet. Could always watch YT videos though.

another Q... ordering a pistol from Gun Buyer dot com, or any site for that matter.... will they ship to a local FFL or direct? I’m assuming FFL, which means I’d have to research the FFL fees of the ones around me, which I’m sure will vary. 

No problem. We were all new once. Any gun will need to go through an FFL. Most places will send a stripped lower to an NJ FFL.

For the lower you'll have to do your research and call around and see what lowers people have in stock and how much. For example if the lower in store is 100 (plus tax and 15 for nics) but you can find it online for 60. If the transfer fee is 75 it may be worth it to buy in store since you may spend for bottom line after the transfer fee. Time to do some homework!

On 4/5/2019 at 3:19 PM, EngineerJet said:

No problem. We were all new once. Any gun will need to go through an FFL. Most places will send a stripped lower to an NJ FFL.

For the lower you'll have to do your research and call around and see what lowers people have in stock and how much. For example if the lower in store is 100 (plus tax and 15 for nics) but you can find it online for 60. If the transfer fee is 75 it may be worth it to buy in store since you may spend for bottom line after the transfer fee. Time to do some homework!

Quick Q... I’m assuming AR Pistols aren’t allowed in NJ? Watching videos on them and they look useful for home defense and just for fun in general. 

5 hours ago, Mike Jones said:

Quick Q... I’m assuming AR Pistols aren’t allowed in NJ? Watching videos on them and they look useful for home defense and just for fun in general. 

Because of NJ's evil features list, 99% of AR pistols out there would be illegal since they are over 50oz and have a magazine outside the pistol grip.  I believe @PK90 may have a model available or can order one.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:35 PM, Mike Jones said:

At this point, I would recommend buying a Lower from one of our dealers.  By the time you figure buying a lower than paying transfer fee, you are in it for about the same as simply buying a lower from the dealer.

Reach out to any of our vendors, they should have plenty avail. 

8 hours ago, Mike Jones said:

3 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Because of NJ's evil features list, 99% of AR pistols out there would be illegal since they are over 50oz and have a magazine outside the pistol grip.  I believe @PK90 may have a model available or can order one.

Correct... vast majority of the old and new "AR pistols" are not NJ Kosher.  It has to do with the manufactured pistol weight.

Only one that I know that was made for NJ is the Bushmaster Carbon AR pistol.