Lakota

M&P15-22 CONSUMER SAFETY ALERT

This has been posted on S&W's facebook page and I know not everyone is on facebook.   Not sure how else they are going to release this info so here it is just in case anyone owns one of these:

Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P15-22 firearms from recent production on which the breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification. In those firearms, the lack of depth may allow the bolt, upon closing, to crush the rim of the case, causing the round to fire, cycling the bolt, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger.

We are asking consumers of all M&P15-22 firearms manufactured before February 1, 2019 to inspect their firearms bolts for this condition.

STOP USING YOUR FIREARM UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND YOUR BOLT REPLACED (IF NECESSARY).

To determine whether your firearm is affected by this condition, please inspect your firearm by following the inspection instructions provided at MP15-22SafetyAlert.com.

53305507_10157209162953960_5936964715241537536_n.jpg

DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT INVOLVED:
The out of specification condition has been found only in bolts that were recently manufactured. While our investigation suggests that the incidents are isolated, we have established this inspection procedure as a precautionary matter to ensure that all M&P15-22 firearms in service meet our design specifications. We are asking consumers of all M&P15-22 firearms manufactured before February 1, 2019 to inspect their bolt for this condition.

3 minutes ago, Lakota said:

I have one of these so I already ordered the free bolt gauge tool to check mine here:  https://store.smith-wesson.com/m-p-15-22-bolt-inspection-gauge

Same here.

So seems like you get a machine gun courtesy of S&W if your bolt is defective. =P

• Haha 1
  • Crazy 1

32 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Same here.

So seems like you get a machine gun courtesy of S&W if your bolt is defective. =P

Yes, a free “auto” feature, no bumpstock needed!  

Humor aside, I also just ordered the gauge so I can check my bolt.

53 minutes ago, Maksim said:

No no no no no... It had to be one of the recent ones but before Feb 9th or whenever . 

Yea but "recent" is subjective.   I got mine a over a year ago .... and my serial number still let me order the guage for free.  It would be dumb of them to let everyone with a serial number from one of these ever made to get a gauge unless by "recent" they mean the last few years.  It let me get one so im going to check mine regardless, not worth it to take a chance, but I find it very interesting that they say recent but are not saying no to one that was manufactured at least 14 months ago.

46 minutes ago, Lakota said:

Yea but "recent" is subjective.   I got mine a over a year ago .... and my serial number still let me order the guage for free.  It would be dumb of them to let everyone with a serial number from one of these ever made to get a gauge unless by "recent" they mean the last few years.  It let me get one so im going to check mine regardless, not worth it to take a chance, but I find it very interesting that they say recent but are not saying no to one that was manufactured at least 14 months ago.

Mine was made like 4 or 5 years ago and it still let me order it.  The "enter serial number" is there just to prevent people who don't own one from ordering gauges.  

Will try to find out from my PR person there. 

13 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Mine is probably circa 2010 production. Should I bother to check it?

Mine is also from that time period. I sent for the gauge tool. My brother has had this happen more than once. His is a few years newer than mine but probably made around 2015.

What gets me going is the step by step instructions on how to take your bolt out. This is something everyone who owns one should have do many times depending on how long you have owned it. I take every firearm apart after purchase to make sure there a no manufacturing debris and the lube is okay before I will fire it. I guess to cover their butt, they have to have detailed instructions.

21 hours ago, Maksim said:

Mine was made like 4 or 5 years ago and it still let me order it.  The "enter serial number" is there just to prevent people who don't own one from ordering gauges.  

Will try to find out from my PR person there. 

My wife's is around that age. She was very upset about maybe having to send back her Muddy Girl Purple 15-22 but was relieved when I told her only the bolt would need to be replaced.

8 minutes ago, brucin said:

My wife's is around that age. She was very upset about maybe having to send back her Muddy Girl Purple 15-22 but was relieved when I told her only the bolt would need to be replaced.

Was it impacted?

You can order the tool, test your bolt... then replace it if need be.

21 hours ago, Maksim said:

Was it impacted?

You can order the tool, test your bolt... then replace it if need be.

I don't think it's impacted as she's had it for almost 2 years and there's never been an issue. I did order the gauge just in case.

Is the in-spec depth published somewhere?

I just bought mine in December. It was manufactured weeks before in November. They must sell a ton of those 15-22's. Interestingly enough, I checked my box label - no red dot which indicates it had been inspected at the manufacturer (which is consistent with the manufacture date being prior to Feb 2019), but when I put in the serial number, it told me mine was not part of the recall. Maybe because it's a NJ-compliant Performance Center model? The recall says ALL 15-22's with no exclusions. :think:

2 hours ago, XDJohnTact said:

I contacted them by email and they asked for my serial number.  Now I wait to see if they will send me the gauge, probably not since I think I bought it from TJs about 5 years ago.

If it were a serial that was under the recall you will.

If they dont but you still want to make sure you can stop in and well check it..... Once i get my gauge from them which it coming.

• Like 1

I have found this on another gun forum, I will still look a little later when I am working in my garage where my gauges are.

For those that are interested the 22LR head space relief in the breech face or bolt, it should be 0.043" to 0.051".

9 minutes ago, rtquig said:

I have found this on another gun forum, I will still look a little later when I am working in my garage where my gauges are.

For those that are interested the 22LR head space relief in the breech face or bolt, it should be 0.043" to 0.051".

Yes, those of the SAAMI rim depth ranges for the chamber. Just wondering what S&W considers their spec. I measured my bolt depth and got 0.041" (with my cheap Chinese digital calipers). Do the gauge instructions tell you to just eyeball it or maybe run a credit card over it to make sure it's flush or lower (that is, doesn't get hung up passing from bolt to gauge)?