Lakota

M&P15-22 CONSUMER SAFETY ALERT

14 minutes ago, SIGMan Freud said:

Yes, those of the SAAMI rim depth ranges for the chamber. Just wondering what S&W considers their spec. I measured my bolt depth and got 0.041" (with my cheap Chinese digital calipers). Do the gauge instructions tell you to just eyeball it or maybe run a credit card over it to make sure it's flush or lower (that is, doesn't get hung up passing from bolt to gauge)?

S&W does not mention the size, the send the gauge taped to a post card size color directions like the one on their web site. One picture shows it flush and days correct. The next picture shows it above the face of the bolt and says incorrect. The gauge fits perfect in the bolt so there is no mistake. Either it is above, which is no good or flush or slightly below which is correct.

No credit card is mentioned to test. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rtquig said:

Taking out my gauges, I would say the gauge they sent is 0.51, but 0.53 was also very close. It was hard to get an accurate definite answerer. I would say 0.51 would be okay.

Interesting, and that makes sense that they went with a thickness closest to the upper end of the 0.043-0.051" range. I haven't gotten my gauge yet, bit I'm fairly certain my bolt is slightly shallow. Mine is the Performance Center model and it was made in Nov of 2018. I measured mine multiple times and keep coming up with 0.041"

I wonder what depth causes the autofire? I saw one guy on the S&W forum that claimed his depth was 0.036" and he did not have any issues, maybe because of his ammo? I think the SAAMI spec for the cartridge rim is 0.036" to 0.043".

I ordered mine on 3/11 and it came in the mail 3/21, so 10 days. 

I measured the gauge with two sets of calipers and the thickness is 0.035”. The gauge did not protrude above the bolt but was slightly below, which is consistent with my prior measurement of the recess depth for my gun being 0.041”. 

Ordered mine on 3/28, still haven't received it.  S&W customer service said the following-

I am sorry but we don’t have visibility of these orders so there is no way for us to check status of them. Please allow 15-20 business days for delivery of the bolt gauge.

Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

On 3/22/2019 at 3:32 AM, SIGMan Freud said:

... I measured the gauge with two sets of calipers and the thickness is 0.035”....

AND

On 3/17/2019 at 9:27 AM, rtquig said:

Taking out my gauges, I would say the gauge they sent is 0.051, but 0.053 was also very close. It was hard to get an accurate definite answerer. I would say 0.051 would be okay.

Do we have a true reading of the gauge thickness?

I spoke with S&W customer service on May 16.  I was told they had to change suppliers due to material shortages.  They had me reorder another gauge then and I was told to expect it between 10-14 days from new supplier.  Still haven't received it.

Anyone have one they can mail to me?  I'll cover shipping costs via paypal or zelle pay if interested.  Thanks.  

3 hours ago, Heronimo42 said:

I spoke with S&W customer service on May 16.  I was told they had to change suppliers due to material shortages.  They had me reorder another gauge then and I was told to expect it between 10-14 days from new supplier.  Still haven't received it.

Anyone have one they can mail to me?  I'll cover shipping costs via paypal or zelle pay if interested.  Thanks.  

I have one that I can send you. PM me your address. No charge.

I contacted them months ago and sent them my serial number as requested.  Never heard back so I guess mine was early enough to not be a problem? Brought it to the shoot last week and it cycles just fine.  Fun to shoot at 25 yards.

target2.jpg

On 5/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, Heronimo42 said:

Ordered mine on 3/28, still haven't received it.  S&W customer service said the following-

I am sorry but we don’t have visibility of these orders so there is no way for us to check status of them. Please allow 15-20 business days for delivery of the bolt gauge.

Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:00 AM, XDJohnTact said:

I was asked by S&W for my serial number and sent it in.  Never heard from them again so I guess mine is OK?

Have not gotten mine either but it is a very early model.

2 hours ago, Heronimo42 said:

I received a gauge from PK90, who sent it to me graciously.  I checked mine out and good to go.  If anyone needs a gauge, please pm me and I will mail this one to you to check out.  

PM sent!