DirtyDigz

My next 2 handguns?

Got 2 permits coming up.  Need ideas on what to get.

Requirements: 1 must be .22LR, 1 must be 9mm.

What I already have:

9mm: Glock(s), CZ(s),  1911,

.22LR: 1911

What I don't have: Any kind of revolver

What I'm considering:

9mm: Beretta 92FS, Ruger LCR

.22LR: Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, Ruger GP100, Walther P22

What else should I be looking at?

If you want a REALLY nice Beretta M9 for a very fair price, there is a member here who is interested in selling one.  Would go that route... especially if you already have a CZ.

LCR is blah.  Btw, GP100 is not a 22lr. =)  GP100 is a nice revolver though.

For 22lr, budget?  SW Victory is pretty nice, so is the Ruger 22/45.  Although that new Taurus TX22 I can't wait to try, seemingly great reviews.  Walther P22 is too picky and a bit too small.  

7 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Got 2 permits coming up.  Need ideas on what to get.

Requirements: 1 must be .22LR, 1 must be 9mm.

What I already have:

9mm: Glock(s), CZ(s),  1911,

.22LR: 1911

What I don't have: Any kind of revolver

What I'm considering:

9mm: Beretta 92FS, Ruger LCR

.22LR: Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, Ruger GP100, Walther P22

What else should I be looking at?

Any pre 1985 S&W revolver or pistol....hey im biased

• Agree 2

S&W M&P 22 Compact is an awesome pistol and you shouldn’t overlook Buckmark.   And the Ruger Marks are nice.  It is not hard to break one down once you learn the trick and you might find an older Mark at a great price. Some people like that hammer-fired little Ruger but it is like a stapler to me.  Not a fan of SR22.  Why make safety like that. Might be reliable bur revolver iz more.    I like the 3 inch Ruger LCRx as well and the SP101 but rimfire revolvers have heavy triggers.   Still there is something about a double action rimfire revolver.  Mine slways goes with me.   Favorite for kids is an M&P 22 compact.   Though not perfect and trigger could be better I think the most versatile choice altogether is a Ruger 22/45 Lite.  I wish the Mark 4 version came with fluted barrel like earlier version.  I don’t know about S&W Victory but looks like a cross between Ruger Mark and Buckmark.   The full size M&P22 is a lit of fun, too, and light.   Buckmark has nice trigger without upgrade but I hate gold  trigger   

All things considered I would get s revolver if you have other 22s   Unless you have kids to use it.   If it is your first semi-auto get 22/45 lite, or M&p compact for plinking or the Ruger Mark for shooting competitions    The M&p is perfect size for kids and my favorite   It actually has a internal hammer

For the 9mm I would look at a full-size M&P espec. Red dot capable one.   New ones outstanding triggers!    Or a Shield or Compact 2.0.  The new Sig adopted by militsry would be interesting.

22 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Yes, I can attest to that. I own the GP100 in 22lr as well as in 38/357 (5” barrel version from Davidsons).  

Op, consider a Ruger Mark 4 Hunter. Beautiful gun.

I prefer SP101 to GP100.  Put larger Hogue grip on it and good to go.  Stay away from SR22.  Beretta is too close to CZ.  I would look for Brigadier modem if you want Beretta.  If you get LCR get 3” with external hammer.    No to SR22.  

Why not go crazy and a 10mm gun! 

I'm waiting for 3 permits myself here is my short list. Hk vp9 or p30, Cz p10 optics ready, Sig p365 but I do have some wildcards, fnx 45 tactical, glock 20, .357 revolver, kahr pm9.

I'll be the first to say it. 22lr revolvers suck. They are boring as shit to shoot and the spring weight needed for reliable ignition makes the DA trigger pull way too heavy. They get real dirty and take a fair amount of time and effort to clean. If you want a revolver, get a 357 mag like the 686 or 100. You can shoot 38sp wadcutters that feel like you're shooting a 22 but you will have the option to shoot the 357 mag whenever you desire to.

22lr - Browning Buckmark Contour 5.5" or 7.25"

I will say the North American arms pug is a ton of fun. 22mag and it’s like 3” long. I’ve heard of people putting them on a keychain in free states, and other models have a belt buckle holster. You can also get a 22lr cylinder for it

On 3/9/2019 at 10:13 PM, Underdog said:

For the 9mm I would look at a full-size M&P espec. Red dot capable one.   New ones outstanding triggers!    Or a Shield or Compact 2.0.  The new Sig adopted by militsry would be interesting.

M&P under consideration.

The new Sig - nah, not going to join the crowd of people getting in line for that one.  Maybe after a few more years.

On 3/9/2019 at 10:08 PM, Ray Ray said:

92FS, Ruger LCR

Your top choices are stellar

You're agreeing with me?  Something is wrong here...

On 3/8/2019 at 11:35 PM, oldguysrule649 said:

Op, consider a Ruger Mark 4 Hunter. Beautiful gun.

Meh, not crazy about the styling, but I'll take a look at one in person.

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2019 at 9:42 AM, lilred121986 said:

My vote is for a H&K VP9 9mm in FDE ;-) i Love mine :-)

On 3/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Zeke said:

I’d get the vp9 b

If I need to get parts or service, is H&K going to to laugh at me while they rifle through my bank account, or are they better now? 

I think I need to shoot one of these in person to see what all the teutonic love is about.  Who's going to give me my first dance at the German ball?

On 3/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, beren said:

I highly recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Model_617 but it's .38 spl. 357 mag. ...

On 3/10/2019 at 11:29 AM, david8613 said:

Why not go crazy and a 10mm gun! ...

On 3/10/2019 at 5:32 PM, diamondd817 said:

... If you want a revolver, get a 357 mag like the 686 or 100. ..

Reading comprehension fail.  .22LR or 9mm.  I'm a believer in strict caliber control.

Just now, DirtyDigz said:

If I need to get parts or service, is H&K going to to laugh at me while they rifle through my bank account, or are they better now? 

I think I need to shoot one of these in person to see what all the teutonic love is about.  Who's going to give me my first dance at the German ball?

Sig 320

Let me really bring on the hate.
I'm also looking at the Charter Arms Pitbull in 9mm:
Charter-Arms-Pitbull-1-1024x573.png

cf5d1b298237d58e9eff08dca56510561f3d23d3

On 3/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, beren said:

I will say the North American arms pug is a ton of fun. 22mag and it’s like 3” long. I’ve heard of people putting them on a keychain in free states, and other models have a belt buckle holster. You can also get a 22lr cylinder for it

Oh hell no.  Carrying that thing on a keychain is just begging to be shot in the pee pee.

11 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Where are you located, you can try mine one weekend, I'm in Bergen county, go to Reloadez.

The Ruger LCR in 9mm with the factory full hand grip is very nice for concealed carry simplicity with no slides or buttons to worry about.  You can use it without moon clips but you may need to poke the case to get it out. If you are looking for a range shooter, the Ruger Blackhawk Conversion in 9mm/357mag is a lot of fun. No moon clips with the 9mm cylinder as it’s single action only.