JohnnyB

Any limits on mag capacity for NON semi autos?

I was at my LGS and the owner stated the limit for a pump shotgun is still 15 rds. Only semi-autos are 6.

I may have missed something but I thought there were no mag limits on bolt and lever action guns including pump shotguns.

Of course 10 is the limit now on semis but the gun shot owner swears 15 is still the limit for a pump shotgun. WTF?

42 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I was at my LGS and the owner stated the limit for a pump shotgun is still 15 rds. Only semi-autos are 6.

I may have missed something but I thought there were no mag limits on bolt and lever action guns including pump shotguns.

Of course 10 is the limit now on semis but the gun shot owner swears 15 is still the limit for a pump shotgun. WTF?

It's actually Tubalar fed guns... does not matter if semi auto, etc... hence why you can have a 16 or 17 round Marlin Model 60.  

The only Semi-AUTOs allowed to hold more than 10 rounds are tube fed .22LR caliber rifles like the Marlin Model 60.

All other SEMI-AUTOs are limited to 10 rounds.

For NON semi-auto firearms, the magazine capacity limit is still 15 rounds unlimited.  If the NON semi-auto firearm is feed its ammo from a detachable magazine, the limit is 15 rounds unlimited IF, AND ONLY IF that magazine does not fit in any semi-auto firearm on this planet.  EXAMPLE: Ruger makes a magazine fed .22LR bolt action gun.  That same Magazine (note this is magazine, not tube fed) fits in their 10/22 semi-auto rifle.  Since the magazine is capable of going into a semi-auto gun, the magazine capacity limit in NJ for this particular bolt action gun/magazine combo is 10 rounds, even if you do not actually own or possess the semi-auto version of the gun.  The magazine capacity gets limited simply because it is possible for that magazine to fit into a semi-auto gun.    

I am not sure what magazine fed guns have a bolt action or pump action where that magazine does not also fit into a semi-auto gun, but a list would be nice if a list were compiled.  

Edited by Regular Guy
Edited for accuracy

Having just been through the NJ Legislative site, and looking at the most recent Chapter Laws which change the "old" contents of 2C:39 and 2C:58, I find that P.L. 2018, c.0138, Approved Nov 8, 2018 says in 2C:39-1 Definitions:

y.   "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. The term shall not include an attached tubular device which is capable of holding only .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

That is the most recent black-letter law as far as magazine capacity goes.

So to answer Johnny B's question, it would seem that there is, in fact, NO LIMIT on the number of rounds that a tube fed pump action shotgun can hold and still be NJ-legal.

That is not to say that any FFL in this G-dforsaken state must sell you (a non-licensee) a pump action shotgun whose tubular magazine can hold more than 15 rounds. That limit exists only in his mind and I can understand him not wanting to put his license at risk just because a customer wants something the FFL "feels" is not legal. His feelings may not be 100% correct, but in the end, he's the one who gets to make the decision as to what he sells in-state and what he doesn't. It's not right from a purely economic transaction point of view, but the seller has the power to not complete the sale (Unless of course he's a devout Christian baker and the gay couple customer wants him to bake them a wedding cake, but that's another story altogether.)

So Johnny B, I would present this answer to your FFL and if he still thinks the limit remains at 15 (which is no longer the limit on ANYTHING since the passage of Gov. Gopher's gun laws, respectfully ask that he consult with a competent NJ Firearms Attorney in order to get the correct answer.

3 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Having just been through the NJ Legislative site, and looking at the most recent Chapter Laws which change the "old" contents of 2C:39 and 2C:58, I find that P.L. 2018, c.0138, Approved Nov 8, 2018 says in 2C:39-1 Definitions:

y.   "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. The term shall not include an attached tubular device which is capable of holding only .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

That is the most recent black-letter law as far as magazine capacity goes.

So to answer Johnny B's question, it would seem that there is, in fact, NO LIMIT on the number of rounds that a tube fed pump action shotgun can hold and still be NJ-legal.

That is not to say that any FFL in this G-dforsaken state must sell you (a non-licensee) a pump action shotgun whose tubular magazine can hold more than 15 rounds. That limit exists only in his mind and I can understand him not wanting to put his license at risk just because a customer wants something the FFL "feels" is not legal. His feelings may not be 100% correct, but in the end, he's the one who gets to make the decision as to what he sells in-state and what he doesn't. It's not right from a purely economic transaction point of view, but the seller has the power to not complete the sale (Unless of course he's a devout Christian baker and the gay couple customer wants him to bake them a wedding cake, but that's another story altogether.)

So Johnny B, I would present this answer to your FFL and if he still thinks the limit remains at 15 (which is no longer the limit on ANYTHING since the passage of Gov. Gopher's gun laws, respectfully ask that he consult with a competent NJ Firearms Attorney in order to get the correct answer.

Thanks Brian,

The shotgun in question was a magazine fed pump that I was told could be up to 15 rounds and still be legal.

As I said, there is no longer ANYTHING that has a 15 round limit anymore, given the shit that the NJ Legislature and Gov Gopher have dropped on us in the last year-plus.

Excepting semi-auto shotguns, the magazine capacity limit is either 10 or UNLIMITED for us peons, also known as civilians.

58 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

As I said, there is no longer ANYTHING that has a 15 round limit anymore, given the shit that the NJ Legislature and Gov Gopher have dropped on us in the last year-plus.

Excepting semi-auto shotguns, the magazine capacity limit is either 10 or UNLIMITED for us peons, also known as civilians.

Thanks,

I will tell my buddy Glenn.