rifleman

Shot shell reloading

Why do we reload shot shells? 

1. We can make a shell equal to the quality of a Winchester AA ($9 per box) for less than $6.

2. We can make 16 yard, ATA Handicap, skeet, sporting clay, trap doubles, low-noise/low recoil loads any day with a common set of components: wads, hulls, powder, lead & primers.

3. We never run out of shells or have to buy "whatever is on sale"

4. Repetitious factory style work is relaxing when you can see your product. Believe me, it's a good thing to do after pushing a pencil all day in the office.

5. OK I admit it: Fixing (yes it happens), cleaning, modifying, adjusting, tinkering with the machine is fun just like screwing around with my 72 Chevelle carb20190310_172525.thumb.jpg.c4dd9e8be454525a478ecb413ee7af9a.jpg.

6. Any shell press is an excellent addition for the underground bunker hahahahaha

7. 300 shells per hour made, boxed & load up the machine for next time. I go down bunker for 10 minutes, pump out shells and that feeds the beast for a while.

Also, some shameless self promotion- there is an awesome 12g hydraulic foot pedal operated MEC for sale in the other forum. 

• Agree 1

Ok you have my attention. I load pistol and rifle now. 

1. How much exactly does it cost? Less than $45 a case? I'm taking not getting stuff on sale. Full powder valley prices. 

2. Where's that press and how much? 

3. Do you have to clean the shells? 

I've been reloading shotshell for a few years now too -- started when Jake was a little kid and needed softer shells to keep him interested -- he used to shoot 300 rounds a session over at Clinton WMA

You do not clean shotshell hulls -- just pick a brand and stick with it -- can't really mix and match shell cases -- they are all made a little differently -- Remington gun club is a good one and easy to find -- just look in the dumpster at the range -- some of the lower end winchesters are no good -- if you look in the empty hull you'll see a separate white disk inside -- the hull is made from multiple pieces and not good for reloading

You can reload a shot shell till is splits -- maybe 4 or 5 loadings -- Generally the end where the crimp is will break

The expensive part of loading shotshell is the shot itself 

Lou I have no ides what complete ammo costs -- I haven't bough a complete round in over a decade -- shot shell or metallic centerfire ammo 

I also have no ides what the current cost of lead shot is -- As always, when I find a deal I buy a lot -- I still have a few 25 pound bags around

Admittedly I haven't reloaded shotshell for over 2 years, Made enough back then to get me thru the limited shooting I've done in the past couple years 

I also have a ton of primers and powder -- PROMO is what I used in shot shell -- Also use it in most of my pistol rounds -- dirty and smokes a little but goes bang every time 

Just looked up the current price of a shot -- $35 to $45 per 25 pound bag

Last time I bought it it was $25 per bag 

Probably doesn't pay to get setup and reload unless you're going to make some sort of "specialty" shell

Another thing -- The shotshell press is set up per gauge -- Can't use a 12g press to make 20g shells -- have to use a separate press for every gauge 

Reloading shot shells to save money is a fools errand in the short run, but, if you are a dedicated shooter, it will save you money in the long run only if you stockpile supplies now.  If you are 25 years old and buy 20 years worth of shit, you will make out like a bandit.  There will come a time when a box of trap loads will cost $12/25 and you will be reloading for $4/25. 

Of course, you could always stockpile ammo when it goes on sale too.  If you can get Gun Club or AA for $45/case, then buy a few hundred cases now and save yourself the time to reload later.

Started reloading shotshells with my Dad in the 60's. Learned on paper hulls stuffed with fiber and cardboard wads and "cutting edge" Alcan over-powder plastic gas seal shot cups before true one-piece shot cups changed the game. Been rolling my own loads for upland game as well as for target ever since.  

Just picked up a 5th MEC. I'm going to set it up exclusively for loading 12 ga. 2 1/2" shells. I reload for 12, 16 & 20 gauges.

17 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Another thing -- The shotshell press is set up per gauge -- Can't use a 12g press to make 20g shells -- have to use a separate press for every gauge

For most presses you can buy die kits to convert to other gauges. Although, I'll admit it is easier if you have a press dedicated for each gauge you reload for, saves time and energy setting up the press each time for the crimp stage. My Dad's old 250 had kits for 12, 16 & 20 ga. that we learned on. He still has it today.