Maksim

Gathering Interest - Private range day on 1,200 yard private range in PA

8 hours ago, reloaderguy said:

We did it back im May.

I don't think so.

The last update was that it would be held in August...which didn't happen.

I've been to Sheepdog warrior range a few times since then and it was fantastic...

5 hours ago, CageFighter said:

im a member @ NHRPC (in PA) which goes out to almost 800 if any1 interested in going.

New Holland is out to 800 now?

Quick update to this... schedule got a bit tied up and was not able to find a day that works with the range.  Will see what we can do.  Also found out a few things about the place that may be less than idea.

On the flip side, chasing down a lead for a private range much closer allowing over 1,000 yards.  (aka someone's farm.)

• Agree 1

Is this trip still "in the works"? If it is then I am very interested. I just have one question, I own a .308 bolt action but I wanted to upgrade the scope to a mil-dot system. Is there a site when I can enter my rifle and then get suggestions on what will work best for my Savage Axis?

43 minutes ago, dino71 said:

I just have one question, I own a .308 bolt action but I wanted to upgrade the scope to a mil-dot system. Is there a site when I can enter my rifle and then get suggestions on what will work best for my Savage Axis?

Not sure I follow.

Generally speaking you can put any scope on any brand rifle.  You'd want to avoid anything that says it's designed for "rimfire" as the recoil on the .308 could lead to damage, but otherwise brands aren't a consideration.

As to MOA vs MIL, that's a personal preference.  Once you zero your scope you make your adjustments for windage and elevation accordingly.

There are lots of discussions about scopes on the precision shooting forums so it's worth searching for some of those and reading through the posts.  There are elitists who say that any scope under $2,500 is garbage, and die-hards who say any cheap glass is fine as long as you know how to shoot, so the truth lies somewhere in between.

If you're on a budget Primay Arms scopes are a good value for the money.  Next level up is Athlon, then Vortex, and then you're into the +$1,200 range.

Regardless of the scope you buy, you need to know some detail about the ammo you use and the shooting conditions in order to effectively dial-in your shots.

I use this free online calculator to create a dope chart when I'm shooting long distances:

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php

At a minimum you should plug in the weight of your rounds, velocity, zero range, and wind conditions to build your chart.  From there you can dial your scope based on the distance of your targets.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Not sure I follow.

Generally speaking you can put any scope on any brand rifle.  You'd want to avoid anything that says it's designed for "rimfire" as the recoil on the .308 could lead to damage, but otherwise brands aren't a consideration.

As to MOA vs MIL, that's a personal preference.  Once you zero your scope you make your adjustments for windage and elevation accordingly.

There are lots of discussions about scopes on the precision shooting forums so it's worth searching for some of those and reading through the posts.  There are elitists who say that any scope under $2,500 is garbage, and die-hards who say any cheap glass is fine as long as you know how to shoot, so the truth lies somewhere in between.

If you're on a budget Primay Arms scopes are a good value for the money.  Next level up is Athlon, then Vortex, and then you're into the +$1,200 range.

Regardless of the scope you buy, you need to know some detail about the ammo you use and the shooting conditions in order to effectively dial-in your shots.

I use this free online calculator to create a dope chart when I'm shooting long distances:

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php

At a minimum you should plug in the weight of your rounds, velocity, zero range, and wind conditions to build your chart.  From there you can dial your scope based on the distance of your targets.

Thanks 124gr9mm, at least you gave me a starting point. All my life I have used the AR's I own with iron sights and never had a problem with that and I wanted an excuse to buy a decent scope for my .308 and one can get lost with all the options out there. Thanks for your input.

Nikon has an app for scopes. Plug in which one you have, your load info (or factory ammo), and if you turn on your GPS, it'll add weather conditions. Could always choose a rifle with same magnification and MOA adjustments for same result.

Basic, but free.