carl_g

March 25 - NJ finally up in smoke?

Looks like they are planning to vote on legalizing Marijuana in the Garden State and almost 60 towns have already passed ordinances to ban it.

How's your town stand?

https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2019/03/when-will-it-finally-be-legal-to-smoke-weed-in-nj-what-we-know-now.html

I must be missing the part about township bans. Do you have a link? I hope my town bans it. Watch DUI arrests, crashes, injuries, and fatalities jump. Medicinal is fine, but recreational is a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I must be missing the part about township bans. Do you have a link? I hope my town bans it. Watch DUI arrests, crashes, injuries, and fatalities jump. Medicinal is fine, but recreational is a bad idea. 

There was a link in the article I linked to.

https://expo.nj.com/news/erry-2018/12/64cb95fd7e1151/nj-is-moving-toward-legal-weed.html

I always thought that the state preemption law prevents towns from adopting all these individual laws?      Isn't this why we have won several suits about gun laws like jersey city and Paterson?

If the state legalizes it I think it the towns will lose the battle as far as trying to ban it.   I guess they can try zoning but that will be over ridden rather quickly.    

4 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Contrary to what a lot say, my daughter, no tickets no duis, pays more for her 15 year old Jeep than I pay for 2 cars.  It's not the panacea many profess.

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

I'm ready to fire up, baby! Seedlings are in the soil.

Image result for cheech and chong gif

@Handyman no personal cultivation!!! I'm sure Murphy will let you grow your own as long as the state collects the $42 an ounce tax.

Will be interesting to see if the State makes any money off this! $42 tax on every ounce. The unlicensed street distributors can jack their price up $20-25 an ounce and still be undercutting the state! 

3 minutes ago, carl_g said:

It’s totally not going to work. The taxes they are going to charge will be so undercut by the black market that his tax revenue will be nothing but a pipe dream. (See what I did there? lol)

1 minute ago, pasu0115 said:

Will be interesting to see if the State makes any money off this! $42 tax on every ounce. The unlicensed street distributors can jack their price up $20-25 an ounce and still be undercutting the state! 

The police in Colorado still are out there after street dealers.  They can undercut prices from the "medicine" shops.

If alcohol is legal, I don't see why marijuana should be illegal. Plus we let people have much more power and addictive narcotics that you could actually overdose on. I'm not oblivious to the fact that DUIs and such will go up. That's not shocking. But there's a lot of benefits I believe that will be helpful in the long run. Like reducing dependency on oxycodin and other dangerous opiod painkillers. A solid alternative for a lot of people when it comes to anxiety/PTSD meds which tend to have a lot of nasty side effects. Studies have been published showing it has a significantly positive effect on those with epilepsy. Plus it'll be one less useless thing that the justice system won't be wasting taxpayer money on.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, revenger said:

I always thought that the state preemption law prevents towns from adopting all these individual laws?      Isn't this why we have won several suits about gun laws like jersey city and Paterson?

If the state legalizes it I think it the towns will lose the battle as far as trying to ban it.   I guess they can try zoning but that will be over ridden rather quickly.    

Does New Jersey have a preemption law like Pennsylvania does?

I have heard that Colorado had a significant increase in motor vehicle accidents since marijuana was legalized there.  New Jersey is about the last place that needs another reason to raise auto insurance.

8 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Plus we let people have much more power and addictive narcotics that you could actually overdose on.

Which are prescribed by a doctor. Are you a doctor?

9 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I'm not oblivious to the fact that DUIs and such will go up. That's not shocking.

40,000 die each year in car crashes. How many more from DUI are you OK with?

10 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Like reducing dependency on oxycodin and other dangerous opiod painkillers. A solid alternative for a lot of people when it comes to anxiety/PTSD meds which tend to have a lot of nasty side effects.

Maybe you special snowflakes need to learn how to deal with life's issues instead of self medicating yourself.

10 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Studies have been published showing it has a significantly positive effect on those with epilepsy.

Is that a big problem today with college aged kids?

11 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Plus it'll be one less useless thing that the justice system won't be wasting taxpayer money on.

You mean like spending MILLIONS on a hoax like Russian collusion?

I don’t subscribe to more impaired driving. The stoner’s are doing it now and will continue to do it. I can’t foresee soccer moms getting blazed and confused carpooling now it’s legal to consume. I still don’t see a pathway to eliminating the black market either. People have their sources, they will most likely keep them. New recreational users might increase consumption by 10%?

I ask this of you, once it’s legal, are you gonna go wear tie dye and party like a rockstar? How about your family, friends, coworkers etc?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Maybe you special snowflakes need to learn how to deal with life's issues instead of self medicating yourself.

Doctors, who are wined and dined by the makers of opiods to push them? Come on, how many countless stories have we heard of doctors getting caught giving out scripts like candy?

If you are so not okay with 40,000 people dying from DUIs each year now, why haven't you been pushing to ban alcohol?

Because there aren't tons of conservatives self-medicating with alcohol or pain pills, right?

...Is epilepsy a big problem with college aged kids? About 2% of the population has epilepsy so it's a problem for enough people in college. Not sure why college kids are being singled out though.

You mean like spending millions on investigating Hillary for Benghazi?

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

I don’t subscribe to more impaired driving. The stoner’s are doing it now and will continue to do it. I can’t foresee soccer moms getting blazed and confused carpooling now it’s legal to consume. I still don’t see a pathway to eliminating the black market either. People have their sources, they will most likely keep them. New recreational users might increase consumption by 10%?

I ask this of you, once it’s legal, are you gonna go wear tie dye and party like a rockstar? How about your family, friends, coworkers etc?

Why can't you see soccer moms getting blazed? It happens now anyway. There are alcoholics. There are soccer moms that are zombies on Xanax. Pain pill addicts. But weed, which isn't as bad as all those, is the one that should be banned?

For Christ's sake, it's weed. Not LSD, not heroin. People from hippies to business people smoke it now. And yes, if it eventually becomes federally legal, I would happily chill on my deck in nice weather, light one up, and relax. And if any of my family, friends or co-workers decide to do something similar, I don't care because it's not my business.

11 hours ago, Greenday said:

Doctors, who are wined and dined by the makers of opiods to push them?

It wasn't pharma. It was hospitals, administrators and regulatory agencies.

There was a big push in the 1990s-2000s that "pain is the fifth vital sign." This was likely driven by a leftist agenda that people have an absolute right to a pain-free life. It got to the point where you would not only receive negative patient reviews, but you could even be sued for "inadequate" pain control. No distinction was made between someone dying from pancreatic cancer and someone that threw their back out moving furniture. Both had a "right" to be free of pain.

Did you know that there is an online complaint form for the Board of Medical Examiners that anyone with an axe to grind can fill out?

https://www.nj.gov/lps/ca2/bme/complaintform/complaints.htm

When this gets dropped in you get to take a day off work, drive to Trenton  and get sworn in to explain what happened. Is there a similar form where people can complain about a chemist?

15 hours ago, pasu0115 said:

$42 an ounce? Don't harsh my mellow.

What's an ounce go for on the street these days? (The good stuff, not the crap with all the twigs and seeds people sell to guys like Zeeker.)

The economics of this will be interesting. All the rich white kids (and parents) that used to have to go to a craphole to score some maryjane will now go the legal route. City dealers will only be left with poverty stricken clients.

12 hours ago, Greenday said:

If alcohol is legal, I don't see why marijuana should be illegal. Plus we let people have much more power and addictive narcotics that you could actually overdose on. I'm not oblivious to the fact that DUIs and such will go up. That's not shocking. But there's a lot of benefits I believe that will be helpful in the long run. Like reducing dependency on oxycodin and other dangerous opiod painkillers. A solid alternative for a lot of people when it comes to anxiety/PTSD meds which tend to have a lot of nasty side effects. Studies have been published showing it has a significantly positive effect on those with epilepsy. Plus it'll be one less useless thing that the justice system won't be wasting taxpayer money on.

That first sentence is a whole other discussion... but why? Because most states and Federal law say it is. There is a handful of firearms legislation I disagree with... going back 85 years... but guess what? I still have to follow it. Sorry, but potheads have to do the same... and get jammed up when caught (not as big of a deal in most jurisdictions... unless you have a substantial amount). But big difference between the two fights... one has a Constitutional Amendment regarding it.

Marijuana is legal in Maine... when I went up, there wasn’t chaos/anarchy. In Houlton, didn’t see anyone smoking it... neither in Bangor (but to be fair, I didn’t look that hard in Bangor). Canada legalized it the day after I accepted my position with CBP. They just talk funny up there... but they always did. But I know I’m going to have headaches due to it, as it is illegal to cross an international border with it.

For the rest of the post about prescription drugs... they are being prescribed. You actually are arguing two very different things; legalization of marijuana and doctor abuse of prescription based narcotics (well, I’d call it that when they prescribe something so addictive right from Jump Street).

For your first complaint... you’d have to have Congress agree to remove marijuana from the Schedule I narcotic list. Have good luck with that... because they can’t even agree on something that was widely supported under Obama.

The second... you’d have to have procedures be changed with the FDA. Again... best of luck with that. Handyman did give a link to specific complaints that can be made on the state level.

And as also mentioned, legalization is just going to increase prices... at least in regards to legal marijuana. “Wait? It’s all legal!” Well, if the government legalizes it... they are definitely going to tax it. Moonshine might ring a bell (legal, until you move to sell it). So, you’ll still have illegal dealers... and probably jurisdiction would be transferred over to ATF. And depending on tax rates, you’ll have an increase in illegal dealers to make more money.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Zeke said:

I agree 100% people who want to smoke weed already do and have no problem getting it. It's never going to go away, like it or not that's just the way it is. Very few people would start smoking pot and then driving just because all of the sudden pot has been legalized. Those people already follow the laws and know that it's still illegal to smoke and drive. 

I live very close to the maine border and many of my coworkers are from maine. Everyone I've talked to about it says they have seen no change since maine legalized it. 

12 hours ago, Zeke said:

THIS^

24 minutes ago, Handyman said:

What's an ounce go for on the street these days? (The good stuff, not the crap with all the twigs and seeds people sell to guys like Zeeker.)

about $300/ounce in NJ according to Google

12 hours ago, Greenday said:

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

doctors prescribe SSRIs to people under 18, side effects of wich include everythything from depression to suicidal thoughts, exasperate everything they're trying to prevent in some cases.

Brains have thc receptors, but not ssri receptors

and we once thought asbestos was great, so we are wrong a lot as humans, and truth be told we dont know enough about how our brains work to be playing with these things.

we waste a boatload of money on policing and enforcing the war on drugs.

that whole "you need to deal with lifes issues" thing is how we went wrong in the first place. if someone can find a moment of joy in this hell of a life weve created for our selves then let them have it. 

might just be the libertarian in me, but leave me alone, ill leave you alone.we can have our freedoms they can have theirs

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This morning I heard something on the radio that made perfect sense.  NJ is predicting 60million tax revenues.  Guess what they are going to do?  Borrow money against that predicted income stream. And "spend" it on their pet graft.   So what when that tax never happens.  (Yeah the aveage stoner is gonna pony up an extra 20%).  Just more debt for everyone.

I can't wait for lawsuits about being denied a job because of weed use,  or the new laws that will make drug testing illegal.

2 hours ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

that whole "you need to deal with lifes issues" thing is how we went wrong in the first place. if someone can find a moment of joy in this hell of a life weve created for our selves then let them have it. 

If your life is hell it's because of choices you made.

Based on your statement everyone should be shooting heroin, become an alcoholic, or using something to find "a moment of joy".

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

If your life is hell it's because of choices you made.

Based on your statement everyone should be shooting heroin, become an alcoholic, or using something to find "a moment of joy".

if you took my using quotes as personal, then sorry, now that it seems to be coming back aimed:

wasnt my choice for the .000199% chance for my kid to have an incurable genetic defect that he was diagnosed with at 19 months. so yes, my life is hell. no, i didnt chose it. but i fight that hell every god damned day, and that fight would make alot of you piss yourselves in a corner. just sayin.