carl_g

March 25 - NJ finally up in smoke?

9 hours ago, Handyman said:

Did you know that there is an online complaint form for the Board of Medical Examiners that anyone with an axe to grind can fill out?

https://www.nj.gov/lps/ca2/bme/complaintform/complaints.htm

When this gets dropped in you get to take a day off work, drive to Trenton  and get sworn in to explain what happened. Is there a similar form where people can complain about a chemist?

When my customer has a complain, they just email or call my boss directly. A lot easier than that form.

57 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

Just about all companies have anti drug policies, and many have random drug testing. So will these policies now be illegal?  

If NJ followes other states that have legalized employers still have the right to drug test and fire someone or not higher someone because they failed for pot. 

14 hours ago, Greenday said:

When my customer has a complain, they just email or call my boss directly. A lot easier than that form.

That's good. I'm sure it happens a lot.

Do you require a license to practice your profession? A license that a regulatory agency can attack and potentially take away and can force you to pay a lawyer tens of thousands of dollars to defend? And will the loss of that license also effectively prevent you from ever being licensed in any other state, thereby depriving you of your livelihood?

29 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Do you require a license to practice your profession? 

A CDL and a pilot certificate are but two I can think of.   Federally issued, and under federal law, pot use is illegal.

Question 11e on the 4473 specifically states that use of marijuana is a disqualifier under Federal law for firearms ownership.  Being just about all firearms transfers have to go through a FFL in NJ.  If you want to use marijuana no guns for you as it stands.

This has been brought up before.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Question 11e on the 4473 specifically states that use of marijuana is a disqualifier under Federal law for firearms ownership.  Being just about all firearms transfers have to go through a FFL in NJ.  If you want to use marijuana no guns for you as it stands.

Sounds like they'd have to change a lot of laws and policies to no longer include marijuana.

3 hours ago, Greenday said:

Sounds like they'd have to change a lot of laws and policies to no longer include marijuana.

It isn't going to happen until the fed reclassifies it from something other than a schedule 1 drug. That form Griz is referring to is a federal form.

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I totally agree but how is "use" defined?

18 hours ago, GRIZ said:

No more “new” guns for you, you mean. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I have friends who partake pretty regularly and though I don't personally, I'm neutral about it. My BIG concern all along has been the potential impact on car accidents. As far as I know, we would be (by far) the most populated state - with the most densely packed roadways - to legalize recreational use. Exactly what number of additional injured/killed commuters is "acceptable"? To me, that's always been the looming question.

I have to say though, now that I'm reading some of the details, I have other growing doubts, too. Wow... this proposal is really sweeping: 

• they're going to expunge former marijuana possession charges >> despite the fact that the people would have KNOWN it was illegal at the time, they'll just re-write history. What msg does that send?
  • they're talking about delivery services to your house... and Amsterdam-style consumption lounges for those folks who live in apartments that might disallow smoking pot  >> seriously? decriminalizing or even legalizing is one thing, but I'm starting to feel like NJ will be serving up drugs to our fellow citizens "on a silver platter". Is Murphy a state Governor, or a de facto drug dealer? It feels a bit "over the top".
  • they're setting aside 15% of the licenses for African American business people, purportedly to make up for the fact that the black community was so hard-hit by marijuana possession arrests, etc. >> OK, it's probably a misguided attempt at leveling the playing field... I get that. In reality though, will this just ensure usage in poor minority neighborhoods that already struggle with a higher level of substance abuse? How will that help those communities?  By keeping them broke and self-medicating?

I don't know... this is starting to remind me of Atlantic City, when you see those down on their luck people cashing their disability check so they can keep playing the slots! Are we just encouraging a self-medicating, slacker society?... in exchange for the lure of tax dollars that are unlikely to materialize as promised? I'm for legalizing medicinal pot - I personally think the science is there to support it - but I'm leaning away from legalizing recreational use. It seems like it's likely to create more problems than solutions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

• they're talking about delivery services to your house... and Amsterdam-style consumption lounges for those folks who live in apartments that might disallow smoking pot  >> seriously? decriminalizing or even legalizing is one thing, but I'm starting to feel like NJ will be serving up drugs to our fellow citizens "on a silver platter". Is Murphy a state Governor, or a de facto drug dealer? It feels a bit "over the top".

Didn’t you know Brave New World was an instruction manual?  They’ve only ready the first half, though. 

Here's an article from City-Journal (granted, the source is right-leaning)… but it does provide some eye-opening stats & opinions from credible sources. Here's 2 particularly interesting passages (boldface is mine) that provide "food for thought" - but the whole article is worth a read:

Quote 1: Legalizing medical marijuana by ballot initiative was a political stroke of genius, in that it circumvented how medicinal drugs get approved in America—through research, including extensive patient trials. “Actual medicines have research behind them, enumerating their benefits, characterizing their harms, and ensuring the former supersedes the latter. Marijuana doesn’t,” wrote Peter Bach, head of the Center for Health Policy and Outcomes at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, in a recent Wall Street Journal editorial. Studies have compared pot’s pain-suppressing qualities with a placebo, not with other pain medications, Bach noted. “Every intoxicant would pass that sort of test because you don’t experience pain as acutely when you are high. If weed is a pain reliever, so is Budweiser.” Many doctors remain similarly unconvinced of pot’s medical powers, one reason few recommend it, and often only for terminally ill patients. In Oregon, just ten doctors accounted for more than three-quarters of authorizations for medical marijuana use in the first decade after the state legalized the treatment, Berenson observes. A study in Arizona, which legalized medical pot in 2010, found that five years later, 98 percent of physicians weren’t prescribing it.

Quote 2: Minority-community concerns about legalization are leading some local leaders to push back against the social-justice narrative. In New Jersey, the head of the state’s black legislative caucus, Senator Ron Rice, a former Newark cop, points out that, in states with legal pot, many suburban, largely white communities have voted to ban marijuana stores, so that the shops tend to open in cities, with their higher minority populations. Though Californians approved legalized pot, for example, only 89 of 482 communities allow sales, including big cities Los Angeles and Oakland. In New Jersey, 40 towns, most of them in suburban counties, have said no to pot sales, before the state has officially legalized the drug. “Even our governor, who is pushing this, can’t buy cannabis in his own county,” Bishop Jethro James, president of the Newark–North Jersey Committee of Black Churchmen, said at a hearing in Jersey City. “The reality is it [legalization] will devastate the African American community.”

For those who really want pot legalized and have incorporated it seamlessly into their own lifestyle, it's easy to try to write off any opposing opinions as Reefer Madness-style "hysteria", but I don't think that's a fair approach. After all, individual cases (anecdotal evidence) mean very little. What do larger studies show? Very few people are discussing that!  But this article does, in detail. Here's a link: https://www.city-journal.org/marijuana-legalization

On 3/16/2019 at 11:55 AM, Mrs. Peel said:

Honestly, I have friends who partake pretty regularly and though I don't personally, I'm neutral about it. My BIG concern all along has been the potential impact on car accidents. As far as I know, we would be (by far) the most populated state - with the most densely packed roadways - to legalize recreational use. Exactly what number of additional injured/killed commuters is "acceptable"? To me, that's always been the looming question.

I have to say though, now that I'm reading some of the details, I have other growing doubts, too. Wow... this proposal is really sweeping: 

• they're going to expunge former marijuana possession charges >> despite the fact that the people would have KNOWN it was illegal at the time, they'll just re-write history. What msg does that send?
  • they're setting aside 15% of the licenses for African American business people, purportedly to make up for the fact that the black community was so hard-hit by marijuana possession arrests, etc. >> OK, it's probably a misguided attempt at leveling the playing field... I get that. In reality though, will this just ensure usage in poor minority neighborhoods that already struggle with a higher level of substance abuse? How will that help those communities?  By keeping them broke and self-medicating?

I don't know... this is starting to remind me of Atlantic City, when you see those down on their luck people cashing their disability check so they can keep playing the slots! Are we just encouraging a self-medicating, slacker society?... in exchange for the lure of tax dollars that are unlikely to materialize as promised? I'm for legalizing medicinal pot - I personally think the science is there to support it - but I'm leaning away from legalizing recreational use. It seems like it's likely to create more problems than solutions.

And voting Democrat.