fishnut

Dog names

So after waiting quite a few years for a bird hunting dog the time is now right for me and my family. I will be buying a male Vizsla puppy at the end of April. I'm excited because this will be my first puppy,  all my other dogs were adopted or I rescued and were all adults. So im looking for ideas for unique male dog names. Bonus points for gun related or Hungarian/Hungry related names. 

Short side story my wife's grandparents were from Hungary and they raised her more or less. They always used to say "Baszd meg" whenever something would go wrong when my wife was growing up. Just a few years ago I decided to punch baszd meg in a translator and turns out it means "fcuk me" so grandma and grandpa were cursing all the time. So not it's become a family joke. Since vizslas are from hungry I want to name the dog Baszd meg but the wife is not so keen on the idea.........yet 

But who knows maybe someone here can come up with a name that we both like. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Think it through....The name gets funnier, especially when you have to call the dog to you :D 

21 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

I just got that- and it is funny!

#metoo

Magyar - (the ancient nomadic tribe that first bred them)

Count László - (one of the guys that started the breed club in the 20's)

Yes, I know... I'm much too serious! That said, please don't name your beautiful dog something ugly! It's a very elegant breed, thus deserving of an elegant name. :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Magyar - (the ancient nomadic tribe that first bred them)

Count László - (one of the guys that started the breed club in the 20's)

Yes, I know... I'm much too serious! That said, please don't name your beautiful dog something ugly! It's a very elegant breed, thus deserving of an elegant name. :)

Humm I like magyar.........its on the list. 

• Like 1

Škoda - (From Wikipedia: The noble Waldstein family founded the company in 1859 in Plzeň; Emil Škoda bought it in 1869. It soon established itself as Austria-Hungary's leading arms manufacturer producing heavy guns for the navy, mountain guns or mortars along with the Škoda M1909 machine gun as one of its noted products). 

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

I will be buying a male Vizsla puppy at the end of April. I'm excited because this will be my first puppy,  all my other dogs were adopted or I rescued and were all adults.

That's the first thing I thought of..... a puppy..... do you know what you're getting yourself into, considering never having a puppy? I just went through that with my pup... it can be hell at times.

Do you have lots of patience, time, money, not sleeping the first month..... did I mention patience...? You're taking on a really time consuming project. Ask me how I know.

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

So im looking for ideas for unique male dog names. Bonus points for gun related or Hungarian/Hungry related names. 

Ha, exactly what I was looking for too, went through a bunch before deciding. Want to know what I named him? Look to the left of this post, right above the bullseye. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good choice, specially when I have to call to him to stay down around a  group of people.

Since you're looking for names close to Hungary, how about Ruger? Only a few countries away.

Or, the initials AK

Double entendre alert >>> Mannlicher!! ( Not only was it a rifle heavily produced for the Hungarian Army... but also kind of funny, because dogs slobber all over you - ya know, like a "man licker" - Oh, I sooo win the Internet today! LMAO)

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's the first thing I thought of..... a puppy..... do you know what you're getting yourself into, considering never having a puppy? I just went through that with my pup... it can be hell at times.

Do you have lots of patience, time, money, not sleeping the first month..... did I mention patience...? You're taking on a really time consuming project. Ask me how I know.

Ha, exactly what I was looking for too, went through a bunch before deciding. Want to know what I named him? Look to the left of this post, right above the bullseye. In hindsight, it probably wasn't a good choice, specially when I have to call to him to stay down around a  group of people.

Since you're looking for names close to Hungary, how about Ruger? Only a few countries away.

Or, the initials AK

Yes I know exactly what I'm in for. While I've never had my own puppy I've helped raise and train quite a few for friends and family. I've also assisted my aunt and cousins who breed Bovier Des Flanders and Portuguese water dogs. I'm not new to puppy's just new to owning one of my own. One of my past dogs an Australian cattle dog mix who I got at 11 months old ended up being a fly ball and agility champion so I know what it takes to train a dog to a high level. What I dont know is how to train it to hunt birds so I'm going to be taking the dog to a local hunting preserve where they train dogs to hunt birds and the  owners how to train them. 

44 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Double entendre alert >>> Mannlicher!! ( Not only was it a rifle heavily produced for the Hungarian Army... but also kind of funny, because dogs slobber all over you - ya know, like a "man licker" - Oh, I sooo win the Internet today! LMAO)

A definate NO! Can you imagine a hunter yelling "man licker" in the woods? Someone will shoot me for sure!!!