1LtCAP

handicap access ramp

ok. before mom comes home, or immediately afterwards, I need to have a ramp installed here for her. just hung up with my uncle, and apparently she's not telling me everything. she can't do steps AT ALL now. 

I've got a company in Williamstown i'm thinking of calling.....sos home accessibility solutions. before I do though, I figure i'd put it out here to see if anyone here works for any company that does this, or knows of 2a friendly company I can spend my money with. if I can't find a known 2a friendly company, i'm gonna go here, 'cause it's for mom, and it's gotta get done. 

I use to work in that industry. You actually have three options. Depends on where the ramp is going to go and how high it will need to be. Code says you need 1 ft (12" of ramp for every 1" you have to go up. So if you're going up two steps, (approx. 14"), you'll need 14 feet of ramp, as a ballpark. If it doesn't need to be full code (no wheelchair being used), you can cheat that up to half.

Options: Build a conventional wood ramp out of 2x4s, plywood, etc.

Buy a modular aluminum, bolt together system that comes in sections.

If it's short term, rent a aluminum ramp system, that can be removed when not needed.

Another question, didn't you just finish your basement for her. How will she get down there?

18 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I use to work in that industry. You actually have three options. Depends on where the ramp is going to go and how high it will need to be. Code says you need 1 ft (12" of ramp for every 1" you have to go up. So if you're going up two steps, (approx. 14"), you'll need 14 feet of ramp, as a ballpark. If it doesn't need to be full code (no wheelchair being used), you can cheat that up to half.

Options: Build a conventional wood ramp out of 2x4s, plywood, etc.

Buy a modular aluminum, bolt together system that comes in sections.

If it's short term, rent a aluminum ramp system, that can be removed when not needed.

Another question, didn't you just finish your basement for her. How will she get down there?

I didn't do the basement for her. there's a room in the back of the house, right off the kitchen that was my gun room. that's her bedroom now. the top step is about 23" off the ground. we don't need a wheel chair, just a way for her to walk up. I pray it's not short term, 'cause she's not gonna get better.....which means if it's short term......well......you know...…….

i'd thought about building it myself, but my understanding is that then I gotta get permits, whereas if I put up a modular type I don't need anything...….

24 minutes ago, fishnut said:

My wife may know of a company due to her work(live in sick and elderly caregivers) but she is sleeping now I'll ask her in the morning. 

thanks man!

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'd thought about building it myself, but my understanding is that then I gotta get permits, whereas if I put up a modular type I don't need anything...….

Permits, that's usually the case, unless you can hide it (garage or backyard). The modular ones have become very popular. Do you have the space for approximately 20 feet of ramp?

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Permits, that's usually the case, unless you can hide it (garage or backyard). The modular ones have become very popular. Do you have the space for approximately 20 feet of ramp?

20ft might be pushing it...…….i'll measure in a few

43 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

just measured. 15ft max without moving/eliminating a bush that she really likes.....

You're right at maximum pitch of 2/12, where ideal is 1/12, with the 23 inches in height. I've done 12 foot ramps for 23" for power wheelchairs and scooters, since they can climb, but that gets a bit steep for walking. If it's just because she can't lift her leg for the next step, but is OK on walking, she should be OK. If it's a strength issue and she can barely go any distance or is using a walker, it could be tough with that angle. Everyone's ability is different, based on the medical issue.

16 minutes ago, Sniper said:

You're right at maximum pitch of 2/12, where ideal is 1/12, with the 23 inches in height. I've done 12 foot ramps for 23" for power wheelchairs and scooters, since they can climb, but that gets a bit steep for walking. If it's just because she can't lift her leg for the next step, but is OK on walking, she should be OK. If it's a strength issue and she can barely go any distance or is using a walker, it could be tough with that angle. Everyone's ability is different, based on the medical issue.

my brother bought her a walker while she's down there. she always refused when I wanted to get her one....but she's finally realized she's better with a walker than a cane. 

distance-wise, she's walked about 3/4 of a mile on her own last summer. with my brother helping her, she walks about half a mile. she's weak in the legs, but weirdly doesn't have much trouble lifting her leg to the next step, but rather can't lift herself up once she's put her foot on the next step.  

If she can walk that distance but just can't lift her weight up to the next step, she'll probably be fine with the  little bit steeper ramp. If you go with the modular type, you can actually tweak them and play with the pitch to cover the distance you need, as the ramps slide up and down on the support legs, and you just tighten them at the point where you want.

We did a aluminum ramp for my mom years ago.. it was about 15' for 2 steps... was hard for her to roll up herself.. but with the electric powered one it worked... 

BTW i think medicare might pay for that ramp.... Im not 100% sure but i think it did for hers.

9 minutes ago, remixer said:

BTW i think medicare might pay for that ramp.... Im not 100% sure but i think it did for hers.

Medicare won't pay for a exterior ramp. They think it's a "convenience" item. I would get that question all the time. There's a chance a secondary insurance policy might, depending on DME coverage on it.

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Medicare won't pay for a exterior ramp. They think it's a "convenience" item. I would get that question all the time. There's a chance a secondary insurance policy might, depending on DME coverage on it.

Maybe thats who did it... I thought it was paid for i might be wrong...

15 minutes ago, remixer said:

Maybe thats who did it... I thought it was paid for i might be wrong...

I use to battle that with Medicare all the time. They would pay for the specialized $25K power wheelchair I designed/built, but not pay for a $1000 ramp so the person could get into their house.

Government logic...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, PK90 said:

There was a time when the Camden County Sheriffs Office had a crew install ramps for free. Maybe inquire about this in your County.

Yep.

Also check with the county Office of Disabilities, they have grants and programs.

We use to also get Eagle Scouts to build them as their Eagle Scout projects. Check with the local Boy Scout troops to see if any potential Eagles are looking for a project.

Other community organizations like the Elks, Knights of Columbus and others sometimes will help too.

My wife asked her boss but they dont know anyone to recommend down your way but sent this..... I would suggest they start with the Camden County Aging and Disability Services and see if they have resources they can recommend.  Their # is 1-877-222-3737.

well...got a ramp. used. thanks njjoniguy for hooking me up with your friend. turns out I kinda knew him...….he used to own a repair shop literally right around the corner from my home. 

now the shit starts again. last week I got a call that she'd been having a couple problems here n there. just tonight I got a call.....her legs keep collapsing. sorta numb'ish but not if that makes any sense. they're taking her to the hospital tomorrow to see if they can find out the cause. but it sounds like she won't be walking much when she comes home...…...if we can get her home. my aunt's doubtful that they'll let her on an airplane with how little she can walk right now. 

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

my aunt's doubtful that they'll let her on an airplane with how little she can walk right now. 

They should accommodate her. The last few years my grandma flew she could only transfer from wheelchair to seat and they took care of her. Let them know when booking the tickets and they will seat her at the bulkhead so there is more room for her to maneuver in and out if the seat. 

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

well...got a ramp.

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

but it sounds like she won't be walking much when she comes home...…

My suggestion, when you set up the ramp, make sure you plan to allow a wheelchair or even an electric scooter to be able to get up and into the house. This means making sure the pitch isn't too high, and any transitions or thresholds aren't to high. Also allow for turning, door swings, etc. Consider that she might not be able to walk up the ramp using a walker, and will have to use some other sort of mobility device.

• Agree 1