jm1827

New Zealand Mosque Shooting

I am not tinfoil-hatting this or trying to minimize this, but this and the other shootings such as the CT shooting are implausible and with the time, details, etc. seem to be "staged" to push a further agenda?   Those that want to infringe on our rights will stop at nothing to enact their ends.  And today's special effects, etc. it is possible.  Somehow "mainstream", constitutional conservatives will be linked to fascist extremists.  

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Wasn't he Australian?  How did he get a firearm?  

From a discussion in another firearms forum that is more internationally oriented.  Gun laws in AU and NZ are not identical.  A person in NZ may buy, and keep in their home a semi-auto rifle but, by NZ standards, have to go through an extensive background check that involves interviewing family and associates.  Storage requirements are more strict as well.  If one owns a semi-auto rifle they must have a safe and keep them locked up at all times.  NZ firearms law is very similar to NJ concerning long guns but is extremely restrictive with handguns.  NZ has no NFA equivalent for suppressors.  In fact, they encourage the use of them. 

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Any gun you want can be had anywhere, including Australia if you have the money. The shooter had to have acquired the rifle in New Zealand since there is no way he could have traveled there with it.

• Agree 1

has anyone read his manifesto? i'm sitting here eating lunch reading some of it. he mentions candice owens. that's not gonna be good.

also.....i note that he seems to hit a lot of this administrations talking points re illegal immigration...also not good. it makes me tighten my tinfoil hat a little.

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

there was an article where they said he got his firearms lisence in 2017 and started buying his guns in dec 2017. they said he had 5. he had more than that. he had at least 6 that show in the video.

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

From a discussion in another firearms forum that is more internationally oriented.  Gun laws in AU and NZ are not identical.  A person in NZ may buy, and keep in their home a semi-auto rifle but, by NZ standards, have to go through an extensive background check that involves interviewing family and associates.  Storage requirements are more strict as well.  If one owns a semi-auto rifle they must have a safe and keep them locked up at all times.  NZ firearms law is very similar to NJ concerning long guns but is extremely restrictive with handguns.  NZ has no NFA equivalent for suppressors.  In fact, they encourage the use of them. 

From an acquaintance in NZ:

NZ firearms ownership is based on a licence which you then get endorsements for depending on what you want to do, once you are licenced you are good theres no waiting period or limit on the amount you can buy at one time.

A Category is rifles and shotguns over 762mm long, semi autos with certain features fall into E Cat.

B Cat is pistols, can only be used on approved ranges.

C Cat is for collectors and includes machine guns and mortars up to 60mm but you cant really shoot them anywhere.

D Cat licence to deal firearms.

E Cat is Military Style Semi Automatic (MSSA), eg an civi M4 a neutered M4 would be A Cat.

To get a licence you need to provide two references who will be interviewed, have an interview with an arms officer who will also check your security eg safe or lockable closet (security requirements increase depending on which endorsements you get). Theres a bit more to it but that's it in a nutshell.

Heres an example of the types of firearms available and how much they cost. $1 USD = $1.46 NZD.

https://www.guncity.com/firearms/all-firearms

19 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

The shooter had a lot of time to kill.   Yes  And thought  he was going to torch the place.

i thought the same thing....and thought at one point he said something like time to use the fuel or something like that....but was hard to understand.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

has anyone read his manifesto? i'm sitting here eating lunch reading some of it. he mentions candice owens. that's not gonna be good.

also.....i note that he seems to hit a lot of this administrations talking points re illegal immigration...also not good. it makes me tighten my tinfoil hat a little.

It's really coincidental that an alleged white supremacist claims to be motivated by the speech of a black American conservative! This guy was obviously crazy, but he seems to intend  to put the blame on white males, conservatives, gun owners, those that support enforcement of Immigration laws. Not surprisingly, the media is running with it. 

2 hours ago, remixer said:

NZ Senator who Penned the letter gets Egged by a teeanger the senator then punched the little prick in the face.

Video

https://www.foxnews.com/world/australian-senator-who-came-under-fire-for-blaming-muslim-immigration-for-shootings-punches-teen-after-he-was-egged

didn't hit him hard enough.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

it is eerily quiet about this over on farcebook. there's a few things here n there....but not at the level that ya normally see....

Are people getting use to these type of events, so after the first 24 hours, interest starts fading?

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Are people getting use to these type of events, so after the first 24 hours, interest starts fading?

i don't think so. normally see shit going on for weeks after one of these things.......it's almost as if it's being removed or blocked....

17 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i don't think so. normally see shit going on for weeks after one of these things.......it's almost as if it's being removed or blocked....

Wasn’t all of Facebook down for 24-hours? Maybe that causes it to miss the cusp of coverage?

23 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

They are probably finding out the guy doesn't fit the proper narrative. He's probably some left wing nut job.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, chic013 said:

Any links on the 2nd mosque attack where an armed good guy chased them off?  

I found this.  https://www.foxnews.com/world/mosque-massacre-survivor-hailed-as-hero-for-confronting-the-shooter-saving-lives

Says the hero first threw a credit card machine at the shooter.  Shooter goes to the car to get another gun (if you watch the horrible video, you see him do that at the first mosque, he goes to get a new gun every time he is out of ammo).  The hero picks up the shooters gun and throws it at the shooters car window while the shooter is at the car trying to re-arm.  Apparently this was enough of a counter-attack to cause the shooter to flee.  Nobody shot back at the shooter.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Handyman said:

They are probably finding out the guy doesn't fit the proper narrative. He's probably some left wing nut job.

from what i was able to read so far, i don't think he was left or right wing....i think he was just a nut job.

34 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Purchased legally 

yea i read that. but i think their count on his guns was off. he had 1 rifle slung while he was driving, 3 on the passenger front seat, and 3 in the trunk. they said he had 5 i think

32 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

I found this.  https://www.foxnews.com/world/mosque-massacre-survivor-hailed-as-hero-for-confronting-the-shooter-saving-lives

Says the hero first threw a credit card machine at the shooter.  Shooter goes to the car to get another gun (if you watch the horrible video, you see him do that at the first mosque, he goes to get a new gun every time he is out of ammo).  The hero picks up the shooters gun and throws it at the shooters car while the shooter is at the car trying to re-arm.  Apparently this was enough of a counter-attack to cause the shooter to flee.  Nobody shot back at the shooter.  

wait? so he shot up the 2nd mosque? i thought they'd originally said that there was another shooter there at the same time? are we getting story changes already?

13 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

wait? so he shot up the 2nd mosque? i thought they'd originally said that there was another shooter there at the same time? are we getting story changes already?

Yesterday, I was reading that there were four people involved.  I thought it strange that today they are only talking about one person.

BTW, ....

Speaking to media in Wellington this morning, Ardern stressed that “now was the time for change.”
Ardern said five guns were used by the primary perpetrator, including two semi-automatic weapons, and two shotguns.
“The offender was in possession of a gun licence,” Ardern said.
American civilian disarmament activists are cheering the New Zealand government’s swift reaction.

They want to ban the semi auto, but not the other guns.  Bad logic.

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Yesterday, I was reading that there were four people involved.  I thought it strange that today they are only talking about one person.

BTW, ....

They want to ban the semi auto, but not the other guns.  Bad logic.

yea...it's either "evolving" news or there's some shenanigans going on here......

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I don't think it's that strange. In the immediate chaos, don't you think they likely just scooped up a few innocent people.… but then cleared them after questioning? 

However, the way this is being played to the hilt by the press is quite something. I'm trying to recall (and  to be fair, time may have impacted my memory)… but I don't think the Westgate Mall massacre got quite the same amount of frenetic coverage, despite some similarities (terrorism, caught on film, similar # dead, etc.). We're really living in hyper-politicized times these days. There is no somber moment of grief or of respect for the dead even allowed it seems... everyone jumps straight into the "blame game". It's just impossible to take some of these news channels seriously anymore!

On 3/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, 1LtCAP said:

also....anyone who watched the video....did you notice the gas cans in his trunk?

Yes I was wondering about that too. The red plastic cans.  What surprised me was how calm he was. He had the radio playing music on the way.  He drove normal.  He just walked casually down the street.  I kept stopping the video trying to read the writing on the weapons.  How he could act so calm carrying out such a horrible act is beyond me. Pure evil. 

1 hour ago, EX Carnival man said:

Yes I was wondering about that too. The red plastic cans.  What surprised me was how calm he was. He had the radio playing music on the way.  He drove normal.  He just walked casually down the street.  I kept stopping the video trying to read the writing on the weapons.  How he could act so calm carrying out such a horrible act is beyond me. Pure evil. 

I did too. couldn 't make out most of what was written on them. I kept backing up to see if I could make out things he said too, but again not able to. the music he had playing otw there though.....holy hell was that bad stuff. 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

I did too. couldn 't make out most of what was written on them. I kept backing up to see if I could make out things he said too, but again not able to. the music he had playing otw there though.....holy hell was that bad stuff. 

What he has written on the weapons and magazines must have some meaning maybe in another language.  The music was NOT my taste for sure.  Whats very frighting is there are people like him walking among us.  Calm and deadly