gunforhire

NRA ballots are dropping. Colandro for NRA please

1 minute ago, myhatinthering said:

they would change their entire marketing campaign

Oh, I couldn't agree more! They're doing "business as usual" despite the fact that times have changed. I think they should hire a top crisis communication firm - and then actually listen to and execute their best advice. For instance, their tweets are a hot mess - no deftness -  they come off snarky and defensive which falls right into the opposing team's hands. Like that whole "stay in your own lane" reply to the activist doctors - man, that was a flub! There were any number of responses that would have been better. There's a compelling case to be made for guns - a case that is logical, rational and also that would emotionally resonate with people. I would like to see them significantly up their game. Yeah, we need new faces on their board, no doubt!

7 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Oh, I couldn't agree more! They're doing "business as usual" despite the fact that times have changed. I think they should hire a top crisis communication firm - and then actually listen to and execute their best advice. For instance, their tweets are a hot mess - no deftness -  they come off snarky and defensive which falls right into the opposing team's hands. Like that whole "stay in your own lane" reply to the activist doctors - man, that was a flub! There were any number of responses that would have been better. There's a compelling case to be made for guns - a case that is logical, rational and also that would emotionally resonate with people. I would like to see them significantly up their game. Yeah, we need new faces on their board, no doubt!

I vote for Peel for a PR position at the NRA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, brucin said:

I vote for Peel for a PR position at the NRA.

Funny!... but, as I said, they need a real top-notch agency to deal with the short-term crisis (and yes, I think the current environment is a crisis), then they need to re-think their whole communications approach. They need a new communications strategy w/fully  integrated campaigns that touch TV/radio/print/social media and that includes pre-canned language that anticipates (rather than reacts to) "disasters". (If they have that now, you'd never know it!!). Then they need to hire some really savvy people to execute the plan and to manage the social media in particular (that's a real skill IMO - you need to be quick on your feet, concise, etc. - it's a very instinctive skill).

All of the above is far above my skill level, I'm sorry to say. That said, I have enough communications background to think my critique is a fair one - I mean, even without a comm's background anyone can see that some of the stuff the NRA does just falls flat... and there are abundant missed opportunities to control the messaging also.  They're by far the largest most impactful organization IMO, but I confess I get quite frustrated at times with what I see. They need to stop playing ONLY to their base --- they need to appeal to the fence-sitters. I don't see that happening.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, gunforhire said:

The ballot will be mailed to you in the next NRA magazine this week.

Ant 

Just got off the phone with membership services.  They said ballots going out shortly and will be mailed in an envelope.  I usually  got mine in the magazine.  So if you get an Nra envelope check it, before chucking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Just got off the phone with membership services.  They said ballots going out shortly and will be mailed in an envelope.  I usually  got mine in the magazine.  So if you get an Nra envelope check it, before chucking.

Thank you!

On 1/24/2019 at 5:45 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

They need to stop playing ONLY to their base --- they need to appeal to the fence-sitters. I don't see that happening.

One has to wonder, if the magic wand was waved and they got us everything we hoped for, what would they do?  These are people in very high paid jobs in a very plush building. Are they ready to lose all that?  Are they ready to be unemployed for our rights?  Maybe not.  Clearly they are a tremendous help with backing to the grass roots orgs. But as important as these grass roots issues are what’s happening on a national level?  With all of their money, might and lobbying power why do I hear more from the GOA?  Sometimes I feel their fund raising efforts exceeds their defense fighting efforts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BobA said:

One has to wonder, if the magic wand was waved and they got us everything we hoped for, what would they do?  These are people in very high paid jobs in a very plush building. Are they ready to lose all that?  Are they ready to be unemployed for our rights?  Maybe not.  Clearly they are a tremendous help with backing to the grass roots orgs. But as important as these grass roots issues are what’s happening on a national level?  With all of their money, might and lobbying power why do I hear more from the GOA?  Sometimes I feel their fund raising efforts exceeds their defense fighting efforts. 

I feel the pain. The ONLY thing that keeps me going is the fact that the NRA with us at ANJRPC is fulling funding and gave us their Law firm Cooper & Kirk for the Rogers case and the 10 round mag case and they are already a few hundred k unto it and taking it all they way to the supreme. So lets focus on that.

Ant

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gunforhire said:

I feel the pain. The ONLY thing that keeps me going is the fact that the NRA with us at ANJRPC is fulling funding and gave us their Law firm Cooper & Kirk for the Rogers case and the 10 round mag case and they are already a few hundred k unto it and taking it all they way to the supreme. So lets focus on that.

Ant

Absolutely. I get how invaluable they are with support for local orgs and their issues. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BobA said:

Then go back to focus on safety education, training, and events? Like they started with...

lets think back to the change in conversation . Gca ‘38

I can appreciate the conspiracy theory, and greed and power. I’m jus not hip to thinking this is a planned obsolescence entity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zeke said:

Then go back to focus on safety education, training, and events? Like they started with...

lets think back to the change in conversation . Gca ‘38

I can appreciate the conspiracy theory, and greed and power. I’m jus not hip to thinking this is a planned obsolescence entity.

I think we’ve got something here. But I think we should pick it up after the election. 

• Like 1

I also called member services last week.  Since I only receive the magazines electronically, wanted to be sure my ballet is forthcoming. Was told they do the magazine mailings first, then the remainder of the ballets. Said I should expect it before Feb 15th. 

I have two bullet votes ready to go, one for Ant and one for Tom King.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sota said:

waiting patiently on my ballot as well.

I'll note, the ONLY vote i'm casting is for AC, based on some research I did on how this process works.

I am including Tom King at the recommendation of AC.  But I agree that also casting votes more broadly for the well known names offsets the vote for AC. Hence the need to bullet vote.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

20190210_082200.thumb.jpg.c16ffa301baaea21506ec2cbbd047865.jpg

One shot, one vote. 

20190210_082351.thumb.jpg.8036143fb3f275e455867fe51f78f891.jpg

There's your problem right there. Explains why only 6%(?) of members vote. Cheap baaass-tids! (In my best Anthony impression). 

Yup.  If it can't be done online then anyone under 56.5yrs can't or won't do it.  Under 49yrs and 2mns it has to be on a phone.  :)