Bt Doctur

friend lost/misplaced hid FIDC , is it needed to and from a range?

Without his FPID he will be restricted to going or coming directly between the range and home. With it he could ride around with a rifle in his trunk.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Agree 1

The law says that you must have had an FPIC issued to you, not that you have to have it with you.

He can apply for a duplicate at his local PD assuming he hasn't moved since it was issued. He will have to do the background check all over again.

If he has moved, his old card is no longer valid anyway.

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The law says that you must have had an FPID issued to you, not that you have to have it with you.

He can apply for a duplicate at his local PD assuming he hasn't moved since it was issued. He will have to do the background check all over again.

If he has moved, his old card is no longer valid anyway.

Regardless, you don't need a FPID card to go to and from a range!

11 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Regardless, you don't need a FPID card to go to and from a range!

Technically, that's true, but based on how things get "interpreted" by local PDs in the state, I would still recommend having it with you when transporting firearms. Hell, I go one step further and carry a copy of the COE in my range bag, just in case. Who knows what level of PMS the officer might be in the day he stops you.

The old saying, "An ounce of prevention...."

That is true.  In NJ you are guilty until proven innocent.   I know someone that brings Pistol Permits too.

When driving around with the FID make sure he doesn't go on school property.  I might avoid banks and such as well.  And, he won't be able to purchase ammo.   Whenever traveling anywhere, you should always have a geographic end place and logical, sensible time that would work. 

16 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

No!  Not to and from range.

Seems like this thread should have been over right here...

15 hours ago, tony357 said:

Guess he is going to have to buy all his guns at gun shows, you know through the "loophole".

But this was pretty funny. 

Hi guys, I'm in the same situation.  I'm a first time holder and they gave me the little card and handgun documents in an unsealed envelope.  I put it in my pile of mail/bills to pay and I think it may have fallen out to the junk mail pile and thrown out :(

Do I need the little card to actually purchase or is the hand gun forms good enough since it has the FIDC # on it?  Going to obviously contact my local PD but only have 30 days left to purchase so not sure if they will take longer than that to get me the replacement.

5 minutes ago, Thedj said:

Hi guys, I'm in the same situation.  I'm a first time holder and they gave me the little card and handgun documents in an unsealed envelope.  I put it in my pile of mail/bills to pay and I think it may have fallen out to the junk mail pile and thrown out :(

Do I need the little card to actually purchase or is the hand gun forms good enough since it has the FIDC # on it?  Going to obviously contact my local PD but only have 30 days left to purchase so not sure if they will take longer than that to get me the replacement.

A FPID (Firearms Purchaser Identification Card) is for long gun and ammo purchases or to carry long guns without going to a range , dealer or between residences.

A PP (Permit to Purchase a Handgun and Form of Register) is for purchasing handguns and buying handgun ammo.

IMHO, you should to get another FPID.

Technically a Handgun Purchase Permit along with ID (driver’s license etc.) should be all that is needed to purchase a handgun in NJ.

However it’s not guaranteed that every FFL will process a handgun transfer without you also presenting an FID.

Talk to the FFL that you plan to purchase your handgun from first.

It’s a “good idea” to apply for a replacement FID if yours is truly lost.

7 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Technically a Handgun Purchase Permit along with ID (driver’s license etc.) should be all that is needed to purchase a handgun in NJ.

However it’s not guaranteed that every FFL will process a handgun transfer without you also presenting an FID.

Talk to the FFL that you plan to purchase your handgun from first.

It’s a “good idea” to apply for a replacement FID if yours is truly lost.

I'm not sure of the letter of the law, but I'd guess that no FFL will process a purchase if you don't have your FID card.

EVERY time I've done a purchase the FFL has checked to see if my Drivers License and FID card are matching.

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm not sure of the letter of the law, but I'd guess that no FFL will process a purchase if you don't have your FID card.

Many will do the sale. All should. The law says a PP is what is needed to buy handguns, not a FPID.

31 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Not all followed this but many did.

Not a law. No transfer is taking place. Anyone can handle a firearm without a FPID or PP.