Jump to content
gleninjersey

School Me On Glocks

Recommended Posts

I don't own one.  Have only shot one once or twice (couldn't tell you which model).  

But as they are probably the most widely owned pistol in existence it probably woudn't be a bad idea to have at least one in my collection.

So if I were to purchase a Glock in 9mm which one would I want to be looking at?  Conceal carry isn't a consderation.  This would strictly be a SHTF weapon as it is the most widely owned owned pistol and it just makes sense to own at least one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One answer, Glock 19 for versatility and size.  And, until recently you could have it with its standard capacity 15-round magazines instead of 10. If you want exchangeable grips you would need to get a Generation 4 or 5.  

Since you are not interested in concealed carry, then you would owe it to yourself to at least check out the full size Glock 17.   I am not a fan of the Glock 19X which is a hybid between the two. I would have preferred a compact frame with a longer slide instead of the opposite.  Your only other consideration in my mind would be the Glock 48, and since 10 rounds is now the norm in NJ that might be the way to go.  It is essentially a single-stack, thinner,  Glock 19.  I am not a fan of the Silver slide on those, but you might be.   The might be ambidextrous, not sure and they don't have the finger grips which is a plus.  Unless you want the Generation 5s, I  would pickup a used Glock GEN3 or GEN4  G19.    The GEN5 doesn't have as much parts compatibility and in my mind has not been tested enough.  But I am sure it will be just fine.  

Or, another possibility would be to get a Glock 23 (40 cal.) and get a 9mm conversion barrel and magazine for it.  That would give you a lot of versatility.  You could even pickup a 357 sig barrel for it  and have 3 calibers in one gun.

I don't like the standard plastic Glock sights and would definitely upgrade.  

You may find out that it is not the first Glock you get after getting it.  You will like the break on it and the auditory sound of the reset.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G19 is the best “do-everything” Glock out there. 

But the best shooting Glock, IMO, is the G34.

I agree with underdog, getting the .40 version and spending a little more on conversion barrels gives you a lot of options. However, if you are only ever going to shoot 9mm and don’t stock .40S&W and .357sig it isn’t really helpful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the idea of the Glock 48 (slimmer grip) but the fact you can only use Glock 48 mags I think would make it a no go for my considerations. 

I have smaller hands so the slightly smaller Glock 19 may be a better fit for me.  And from the little googling I've done it seems the 17 & 19 magazines are interchangable which is a major consideration.

I'll probably never add .40 cal or .357sig to my collection.  

In the future I'll have to handle both the 19 and 17 to see how they feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Like the idea of the Glock 48 (slimmer grip) but the fact you can only use Glock 48 mags I think would make it a no go for my considerations. 

I have smaller hands so the slightly smaller Glock 19 may be a better fit for me.  And from the little googling I've done it seems the 17 & 19 magazines are interchangable which is a major consideration.

I'll probably never add .40 cal or .357sig to my collection.  

In the future I'll have to handle both the 19 and 17 to see how they feel.

17 and 34 are the same mags and they will fit in a G19.

19 mags are shorter and won’t fit in the full size G17/34 frame.

The length of pull and grip circumference are the same on G19, G17, and G34. The difference is the G19 grip is about 1/2” shorter, but that has no effect on hand size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Like the idea of the Glock 48 (slimmer grip) but the fact you can only use Glock 48 mags I think would make it a no go for my considerations. 

I have smaller hands so the slightly smaller Glock 19 may be a better fit for me.  And from the little googling I've done it seems the 17 & 19 magazines are interchangable which is a major consideration.

I'll probably never add .40 cal or .357sig to my collection.  

In the future I'll have to handle both the 19 and 17 to see how they feel.

Keep in mind, the Glock 43, 48 and other smaller Glocks do not shoot as nicely as the larger 19 and 17.

Now that essentially every Glock in NJ is neutered by mags, your choice between 17 and 19.

As others mentioned, the 19 was the most popular as it shot native 15 round mags.  Now that NJ is 10, I suspect more will be shooting the 17.

The Glock 34 is a GREAT gun, soft shooting and almost match ready.  Long frame Glock 17.  

For me, a Glock is a home defense gun because it is reliable and is essentially a throw away.  Others may disagree, but essentially a Glock has no collector's value.... the original tupperware boxes are more collectible. lol.    So God forbid I have to use it and it gets taken for some time, I won't miss it.... it's a Glock.  

I joke about it as a Toyota corolla of the gun world.  It's not the most fun and you wouldn't want to be caught dead driving one... but it is stupid reliable and works when you need to. (as long as you don't go crazy modifying it, etc.)

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree.  A 19 size glock is the way to go.  If you decide to game it, put a 17 slide on it and have fun.  

The 19 grip is a bit girthy.  I actually handled some in the LGS today.  I had a 19 a good while ago, when the G4 was new.  It was a good gun but I really don't love plastic guns.  I prefer metal guns for the recoil impulse.  However, as with all things, my mind is probably gonna change more because of the modularity of the platform than anything else.  

Also, as much as I hate to do this...  CALLING @Old School !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d ask two questions; how set on 9mm are you and any chance of leaving NJ?

If 9mm is not a definite, 30S gives you .45 in the 19 size. I have most of my holsters made as 30S holsters, but quite a lot of 19 holsters fit it. With the pinky magazine, you are right at the limit... and doing the Pearce base, it will feel like a Gen 3 19. Want a little more compact, 9 rounders are more flush fit. And if you leave NJ... 13 rounders are an option.

9mm... I’d go either 17 or 34. I lean to 34, as I like the longer slide/barrel/sight radius. 10 rounders... I’d suggest Magpul magazines (they do them for the 19, as well). And same thing as mentioned in the last paragraph... leave NJ for someplace better, and you just get new magazines.

The 48... you are stuck with the capacity and it isn’t a standard like the standard 17 magazine footprint. People use the 9mm Glock magazine for A LOT of fun stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I don't own one.  Have only shot one once or twice (couldn't tell you which model).  

But as they are probably the most widely owned pistol in existence it probably woudn't be a bad idea to have at least one in my collection.

So if I were to purchase a Glock in 9mm which one would I want to be looking at?  Conceal carry isn't a consderation.  This would strictly be a SHTF weapon as it is the most widely owned owned pistol and it just makes sense to own at least one.

Welcome to the family :good:

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glock 19, best all around 9mm made.  Most of the reasons have been mentioned.

45s are nice but you drive up ammo costs (at current prices) 60-100%.  You need to consider in the long run you spend a lot more on ammo than you do for the gun.  You'll save about $100 buying 1000 rds of 9mm vs 1000 rds of 45 ACP.  There's no economy is reloading 9mm as cheap as it as now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Glock 19, best all around 9mm made.  Most of the reasons have been mentioned.

45s are nice but you drive up ammo costs (at current prices) 60-100%.  You need to consider in the long run you spend a lot more on ammo than you do for the gun.  You'll save about $100 buying 1000 rds of 9mm vs 1000 rds of 45 ACP.  There's no economy is reloading 9mm as cheap as it as now.

While I'm personally a Sig guy, I echo your statements about ammo costs. I have the 357 sig conversion for my P320 9mm and the ammo cost are probably double. Definitely something to think about if you are going to shoot a lot.

Edited by GlennS87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a 23,  and have shot a friend's 17 and 19, all Gen 4 models.  I really quite like the size of the 23, which is the same as the 19, but I do have larger hands.  That said, I left mine in factory grip configuration, and like the size exactly as-is.  I like that there is no pinky hangover, like there would be on a 26/27 -sized gun.  I see no real reason to go to a 17, since all the 50, 33, 17, 15, and 10 round mags out there still fit in the 19, just without the extra grip length of the 17.  And as someone else said, lotta other fun toys use glock 9mm mags.

I'd suggest visiting a store to handle the 17 and 19 in gen 4 and gen 5 - if only to see if you prefer the grips of one or the other.  I have no issue with the ridges on the grip, other people hate em.  I have not really kept up with the newer generation changes, so I'm not too sure what the internal differences are, but I thought they were pretty significantly different.

If you wanted to do the caliber conversion route, a 22/23 would be a good start, where you can have a .40, .357sig, 9mm, and should be able to do .22LR on one frame.  One benefit of .40 was - during the panic - it was still somewhat available at reasonable prices.  While 9mm, .22LR, .223, and .45 were all pretty scarce, I saw .40, .357sig, and 10mm on shelves most of the times I went.

I almost started with the 20 Gen4 - that was what I was going to buy when I walked into the store.  Had I gone that route, I'd certainly have added a 19 later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit the range and rent a few. I liked Glock until I took my CC class and shot an XD on the live fire part of the class. Glocks are great if they fit your hand. The XD mod 2  and The HK VP9sk fit my hand like a glove.  Rent a few different guns before you buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bully said:

Let's not get crazy here...

I've only been shooting over 50 years. Glocks for over 30 years.  That includes overseeing a couple of hundred Glocks on the job.  I've shot a lot of 9mms over that time and there are many I like, shoot, and carry.

If I had to pick a 9mm handgun to be without, more so in a SHTF situation as the OP states, it would be a Glock 19.

 

36 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Everything about Glock on paper makes sense to me. But the ergonomics suck for me.

@Zeke you just have to try harder.

  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I've only been shooting over 50 years. Glocks for over 30 years.  That includes overseeing a couple of hundred Glocks on the job.  I've shot a lot of 9mms over that time and there are many I like, shoot, and carry.

If I had to pick a 9mm handgun to be without, more so in a SHTF situation as the OP states, it would be a Glock 19.

 

@Zeke you just have to try harder.

I was mostly kidding.  I forgot to add a smiley emoji. :yahoo:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, High Exposure said:

G19 is the best “do-everything” Glock out there. 

But the best shooting Glock, IMO, is the G34.

I agree with underdog, getting the .40 version and spending a little more on conversion barrels gives you a lot of options. However, if you are only ever going to shoot 9mm and don’t stock .40S&W and .357sig it isn’t really helpful.

For me its the G26 Gen4.  I like it for its small size. For some reason I shoot the 26 best. followed by the G32.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Horrible triggers, crappy sights, weird grip angle, reliable 9mm.

Weird grip angle?

Is it really that different?

I dunno, it never bothered me and I shoot them very well.

The only gun that truly felt blah, weird to shoot was the Hudson H9.  Everything else is just a frame with a grip and a slide on top.  Pull trigger, goes bang... 99% of the time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, High Exposure said:

G19 is the best “do-everything” Glock out there. 

But the best shooting Glock, IMO, is the G34.

I totally agree with this.  Love the G19, but I end up shooting the G34 a lot more. 

(Despite my screen name, I only own five Glocks, although I'm thinking seriously about adding the new G17.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Weird grip angle?

Is it really that different?

I dunno, it never bothered me and I shoot them very well.

The only gun that truly felt blah, weird to shoot was the Hudson H9.  Everything else is just a frame with a grip and a slide on top.  Pull trigger, goes bang... 99% of the time. 

+1 Maks  !!!   Only the adaptable survive.

The "don't fit me" pussies will be rotting corpses.

Is that too strong a statement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Old School said:

+1 Maks  !!!   Only the adaptable survive.

The "don't fit me" pussies will be rotting corpses.

Is that too strong a statement?

Too strong? Maybe.. BUT it is 100% correct.

As long as you have the fundamentals of shooting down, the gun doesn't matter.  They are 95% the same thing, copies of one another.  One may be more comfortable, or more accurate at 50 yards... or you can have faster split times with them... but a "weird grip angle" should not prevent you from being able to shoot it.

There are very very few guns I have shot over the last 12 years in matches, meetups or industry events that had me puzzled.  I think on one hand can I count them.  All of those guns were trying to do things out of the box, aka wrong. lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EX Carnival man said:

Hit the range and rent a few. I liked Glock until I took my CC class and shot an XD on the live fire part of the class. Glocks are great if they fit your hand. The XD mod 2  and The HK VP9sk fit my hand like a glove.  Rent a few different guns before you buy.

I love both of those as well.  The XD mod. 2 9mm SC is my regular carry gun (when I'm out of NJ).  I find both of them to be very similar to Glocks, but the XD has a grip safety, which I feel gives me an extra level of security in the unlikely event that anything snags in the trigger guard when holstering it. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old School said:

+1 Maks  !!!   Only the adaptable survive.

The "don't fit me" pussies will be rotting corpses.

Is that too strong a statement?

No, Glock fanboys believe technology stopped when Gaston busted out the G17 Gen 1.  The VP9 and PPQ have surpassed Glock in form, function and usability.   The M&P 2.0, P320, VZ P10 and XDm have pulled even with Glock.

New gun owners buy Glocks due to basic function and by name only. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information