Maksim

Russian FSB Training Drills

WOW.  Those are some super high risk drills!  During the first round of the 2nd drill, the shooter had an accidental/negligent (you pick) discharge, firing a round straight down into the ground by his feet while he was pushing back the hecklers. 

I've been in force on force drills with sim-munitions but NOTHING with live ammo.

I've been in training drills where you park down the street away from the training facility and you get "dispatched" to a mock call located at the facility.  You respond to the training building and you get evaluated on every thing as you go through the scenario, starting from where you park and what route you take to approach the door (depending on the type of call).  It always evolved into something that required some use of force, so you get evaluated on how well you respond to what is happening, weapon retention, how quickly you perceive and identify threats and how well you work together if the scenario has multiple officers arriving and you have to deal with multiple suspects, victims and bystanders.  The scenarios start out as re-enactment of real life calls and get's pretty stressful, especially with seasoned officers playing the roles of suspects and victims.  Again, the closest I've seen to live ammo in training was sim-munitions.  Air soft was also used commonly because it was way cheaper than sims and as LEO, the training scenarios always put you close enough to the suspects that the ballistics of the air soft rounds were not of concern.  It was more an eval of when you made the shoot/no shoot decision, not a test of accuracy. 

We would also do active shooter response training like this in schools during the summer when school was out or at night at the courthouse when the building was empty.  They would have families and friends of all the officers volunteer to come down and pretend to be students, staff members, or bystanders at the school or courthouse so when you arrive, there are actual people running around screaming, hiding, pretending to be injured.  They tried to make the scenarios are real as possible so if you ever had to face it, you would have some kind of familiarity with the chaos.  It's real tough to step over a wounded child who is tugging at your ankles screaming "HELP ME! HELP ME!" as you make entry into a building but you gotta tell yourself your #1 function is to go in take out the shooter.  The sooner you get him, the sooner the medics can come in and help people.           

9 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

WOW.  Those are some super high risk drills!  During the first round of the 2nd drill, the shooter had an accidental/negligent (you pick) discharge, firing a round straight down into the ground by his feet while he was pushing back the hecklers. 

That was not an ND. That was an intentional shot to the ground. It’s a crowd control move they use to disperse people closing in. 

• Like 1

Looks like Andrey Kirisenko blew  his cover by loaning his shirt.  You can run his name and apparently he's a big time competitor in shooting sports.

I don't know if he was with the FSB but I can believe they train doing something  like that.

Back in the 90s I helped train some Eastern Europeans after the collapse of the Berlin Wall and Soviet Union.  Great men and women who would do anything for you.  However, they had little concept of safety.  They did things that would horrify Western Europeans and Americans.

I have it from competent sources the SAS do a hostage rescue drill where they have one of their mates sit in a room and have lifelike targets sitting on either side of him.  They have to make the entry and take out the targets without hitting their friend.

I've heard from reliable sources that one day Margret Thacher was observing SAS training including this drill.  She volunteered to play the hostage in spite of what her security detail did.

About 100 years ago in basic training the Army had a night infiltration course.  You low crawled a couple of hundred yards while they had a M60 firing 8-10 ft over you.  They set off 1/4 pound charges in pits which shielded you from the blast but you still had sand raining down on you.  Don't know if they still do this.  Kind of mild in comparison.