Villian73

Black powder firearms with conversion cylinders

Can anyone tell me if black powder pistols with the conversion cylinders are required to be registered as handguns? For those that don’t know what the conversion cylinders are (I didn’t know until today) they are basically a disc like steel circle that goes over the existing cylinder and includes 6 individual firing pins, theeeby allowing the black powder pistol to fire modern shells. (See example link, hope this isn’t against forum rules: https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-conversions/1858-remington-conversion-cylinders.html

just curious, as the black powder guns I have seen look like fun but seem like such a pain to load/Fire/etc. I know that sounds pretty horrible and neglects the history of these firearms, etc. Ha.

Well if you purchase a black powder handgun in NJ, you will be required to have an FPID and PErmit to purchase as they are not exempt form firearm status. So the existence of conversion cylinders doesn't really enter into it. 

I'm sure people will be by to brand you and anti troll for basically trying to bring up the "blackpowder loophole" talking point even though it doesn't really apply in NJ proper.. so...

Sorry if it appeared to be a troll post. I was only interested because of an article I read yesterday on a LE-related web site that said black powder handguns were completely legal to mail order in Cali and, considering they are one of the few states worse than our horribleness, made me curious. Fortunately, I have my paperwork all in order and the only obstacle I run into is the number of hoops I have to jump through each time I want to purchase a handgun (usually missing awesome deals I see on the forums I frequent).

thanks for taking the time to answer my question, especially considering it could have been misconstrued as trolling.

sincerely,

You can legally buy a blackpowder pistol or long gun out of state... and transport it back. Cabela’s is a perfect example of a source, but you must go there to get it. Just follow all NJ transportation laws... such as not leaving a pistol in your car as you go out and get groceries. However, it is not legal to have one shipped to NJ... unless it is going to a FFL, and you are using a pistol permit to get it.

But it must also comply with NJ laws. Example... Cabela’s offers a 20 gauge blackpowder shotgun, with a barrel under 12”. Federally, it is ok... as it isn’t really firearm, and definitely not a shotgun. Can’t be a short barrel shotgun (which would require a tax stamp in other circumstances; a modern shotgun). NJ considers it a shotgun, and state law has shotguns under 18” barrels illegal (lumped in with stocked pistols... even if exempted from a SBR tax stamp, and other short barreled rifles). It is truly funny, as the shotgun shell “firearms” were viewed as ok by the NJAG, but a blackpowder shotgun is not. Same with BB guns... like that one with that deadly “silencer” on it.

Converting it to a standard cartridge isn’t a big deal... since it is already a pistol in NJ’s eyes. Could you get jammed up from it (having the revolver, not the conversion)? Maybe... but just keep the receipt so you can prove where you bought it.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Unless your black powder firearms have barrel rifling that corresponds to the caliber of your “converters”, I think you’ll be less than thrilled with accuracy.

That and conversion cylinders don’t make the frame stronger. Don’t expect to shoot .357 Magnum out of one.

You'll either go with a lower caliber, or have to shoot Cowboy loads through it.

I had the same idea to get into one, and convert... but the costs don’t make it worth the hassle.

I think Screwball hit the nail on the head.  Since you legally obtained what NJ views as a firearm out of state, since it's not a gun out of state, and since you are not a prohibited persons, as long as you operate within the rest of NJ laws...you're good to go.  The conversion itself doesn't matter, because even before the conversion the revolver was a firearm within NJ.  You're just modifying a firearm, one that was procured legally out of state and brought in and is otherwise compliant.   This is my opinion and not legal advice.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Speaking of black powder weapon and out-of-state purchases, can a NJ non-prohibited person legally purchase from a PA resident (non-FFL) a black powder weapon without going through an FFL?

Not considered a firearm... so, yes.

That being said, if you are worried about it... I’d write out a bill of sale for it. And again, confirm you are good to go in regards to legality. Like the silenced blackpowder rifle and the shotgun example I made prior... somethings are just illegal due to NJ law.