I just went and submitted my application for 2 purchase permits, already have my FID. I don't know if they're jerking me around or not, but I was told to pay for an $18 fee in order for the STATE police to run a background check. :?: I paid the "fee" but I told them, tactfully, that I was unaware of any other fee besides those listed according to state statutes. When I asked the dispatcher if NICS was available at the local level, I was informed that it was. From what I understood, State Police handled the applications if no local force was available. My area is pretty congested and there are plenty of officers around.

So, why isn't the NICS being done at my local PD?

Why are they even sending it to state?

Is the $18 fee illegally imposed?

Well, there are 2 New Jerseys, North and South. Unfortunately the ideology of N Jersey has dominated over the years with the influence of transplanted NYC liberals. And, a huge voter apathy towards the most Legally corrupt state in the Union. Other states send their Pols to jail for what happens here as SOP. Judicial Activism is another hit we take.

tbtrout said:

And, a huge voter apathy towards the most Legally corrupt state in the Union. Other states send their Pols to jail for what happens here as SOP. Judicial Activism is another hit we take

Vote G.R.I.P. - Get Rid of the Incumbent Politician!!!

Make our own term limits, just keep voting them out!!!

tbtrout said:

And, a huge voter apathy towards the most Legally corrupt state in the Union. Other states send their Pols to jail for what happens here as SOP. Judicial Activism is another hit we take

Vote G.R.I.P. - Get Rid of the Incumbent Politician!!!

Make our own term limits, just keep voting them out!!!

Amen brother

My income is down. =P lol. Blame it on the market.

Reason I got 5, is like I mentioned before, all the firearms I shot were purchased by my brother. Now, purchasing some back. =)

I got 3 more... though I think 1 will be used this week.... or 2. I may need to extend the last one.

I figured $2 is cheap insurance against coming across a great deal that I cannot buy because I dont have a permit.

For the first set of permits I paid $62.50 for the Background Check from the NJSP.

For the second set of permits I paid $18.00 for a Name Check from the NJSP.

I was told that if you re-apply for permits within a certain amount of time they don't have to do

as indepth a backround check on you.

This is for Hamilton Twp, Atlantic County.....YMMV.

sandcast69

maksim,

I paid around $60 when getting my fingerprinting done for the initial FID. I just don't understand why local PDs send applications to the state level. They have access to all the same databases. If anything, local records will usually have more information on you than a state or national database. In my opinion, theses fees amount to taxation to deter people from buying firearms. One of the many ways New Jersey sticks it to you I guess.

Only $18 state police fee?

I paid $55? for the state police fee, $5 for FID, and $10 for pistol permits (5 permits, $2 each).

5 permits :shock: , it is either wishful thinking, or I need to get a job like yours.

Its a good idea to always apply for more permits than you actually need....Its such a PITA to get more and ya never know when you might find that deal.

Everything changed about 2-3 years ago. Before that the $18.00 fee was a one time thing, part of the initial check when you got your FID. Now, our wonderful "Corporate Governor" has made it so that EVERY transaction requires that $18.00 fee. Handgun permits, Change of address, Replace Lost/Stolen FID cards. Everything comes with that requirement for the $18.00 to NJSP. And dont think NJSP is happy about it, especially now with all of the Obama Panic/1 Handgun Per Month scare. Their unit is so backed up it's not funny, which is WHY times, even in the gun-friendly municipalities have extended from around 2-4 weeks to 6-8 minimum.

Everything changed about 2-3 years ago. Before that the $18.00 fee was a one time thing, part of the initial check when you got your FID. Now, our wonderful "Corporate Governor" has made it so that EVERY transaction requires that $18.00 fee. Handgun permits, Change of address, Replace Lost/Stolen FID cards. Everything comes with that requirement for the $18.00 to NJSP. And dont think NJSP is happy about it, especially now with all of the Obama Panic/1 Handgun Per Month scare. Their unit is so backed up it's not funny, which is WHY times, even in the gun-friendly municipalities have extended from around 2-4 weeks to 6-8 minimum.

didnt know about the extra $18 every time. Ok. next time, 10 permits. lol.

Me neither and I just submitted for 3 - I will call on Monday or stop by on Tuesday to confirm that I don't need to pay again as I don't want to wait 6 wks and then find out I had to pay up front and it was just a stall tactic.

Me neither and I just submitted for 3 - I will call on Monday or stop by on Tuesday to confirm that I don't need to pay again as I don't want to wait 6 wks and then find out I had to pay up front and it was just a stall tactic.

IF the transactions are close together, as in a couple of weeks, sometimes they can slip it through. My local guy did it for me after i did my change of address last year. A LOT depends on the local PD though.

My local PD requires that you get fingerprinted every two years. Just in case your fingerprints change, you know. :lol:

Any other PD's do that?

finger prints do change over time.... but not in 2 years....

that is a wierd requirement though, every 2 years... do they charge you every 2 years?

finger prints do change over time.... but not in 2 years....

that is a wierd requirement though, every 2 years... do they charge you every 2 years?

Yes, $68.00. NJ's redundancies cost us a lot of money. With all the fees I've paid over the past 30 years, I probably could have had a 1928 Thompson. If I lived in PA.

When I I got permits back in Jan, I had to state my employer , but the employer wasn't notified

I know you have to put your emplyer down on the application but the way I was reading that post is that they notify your employer. Never heard of that.

IIRC the NJSP website only requires your fingerprints once (and they assign you a SBI#) but they allow local chiefs to call their own shot on that. They used to require fingerprints with every pistol permit application. NJSP said we only need them once in the late 70s or early 80s.