Rob0115

I'm curious iPhone or and android?

And why?  

I've been a long times iPhone user. One's of my guys handed me a galaxy S10 and said try it. The hardware is great, wifi and cell speeds improved and a screen that's off the hook. I don't like the text messaging app or voicemail on the android platform. Apps are the same love chrome. The screen is of the hook good. 

Why shouldn't I switch other I'm an old dog struggling with  new tricks?

its a personal choice really .  but personally I despise android :) I use iphones and ipads myself.. so much easier to use in my opinion and do have and have used android tablets .. i think they suck.  plus I have too much invested in apps to switch. The main thing I dont like about androids with the phone vendors is there are too many flavors of the Android OS. and seemingly controlled by the carrier.   We have a phone Bring your own device policy for mobiles if they so choose.   Trying to keep certain apps working properly on different versions of android different carriers update at different times .. unless you jail break it .. its a pain in the ass.

If you’re just talking a single phone it’s probably just preference.  The screens on the newest galaxy phones are really nice, but so are the ones on the iPhone X’s.  Maybe not as good. The facial recognition on the X’s works really well.

The benefit to iPhones is the “apple ecosystem” in that data is shared between iPhone/iPad/Mac/AppleTV.  Safari tabs, website (and app) credentials easily synced. There are separate services that do that but not well integrated. Family sharing across IDs for some data as well. 

Android - you couldn't pay me to use Apple.  I've had one ipod, which was a gift, and holy shit is itunes software bad.  Maybe they've fixed it since then, but I'll pretty much never update the music on the thing again just so I never have to use that crap software.  (Will give credit where due, hardware wise the ipod works fine, though it is 5 buttons and 2 switches, so hard to screw that up)

Gotta remember that Android is an operating system, and it is up to the vendor to implement it.  I've seen good and bad implementations of the exact same 'version' of Android which can change the whole feel of how things work - not to mention the different hardware can be powerful - or not.  A user of a crap implementation on crap hardware will have a very different feel than a flagship phone.  I am looking at an S10/10+/Note 9/S9+ as my next phone, and have been spoiled by Samsung AMOLED screens for 8? years at this point...

I dunno bout other devices, but I know I can change the default messaging app on mine if I were so inclined (I am not).  I'm also the kind of person who actually goes through all the phone and app settings and locks it down and actually sets things up properly. 

I DO wish that I could root the damn phone from day one of ownership without that voiding the warranty.  So much shit I'd remove that comes pre-loaded from AT&T that they do not allow you to remove.

iPhone guy...

However, I’m not too fond of the X line. I started on the 4, and currently have an 8 Plus. Main reason... home button. I personally like it, even though it technically isn’t a button. Eventually, I’ll have to make the switch... but going to push it as far as possible.

I tried Android, but not as intuitive as iOS. And with iPhones, there are changes as iOS progresses... but it is never a huge jump where you get lost in the update. Seeing people with Android, updates aren’t as similar.

I do like iTunes, and especially the AppStore. Backup is streamlined, and most of my apps are setup in a way that I really have no issues. Audio works well with my current vehicle (2010 Chevy Malibu), and the next truck (2019 Chevy Colorado) will have Apple CarPlay. Will also save me a few hundred for skipping navigation, since CarPlay can utilize Apple Maps. Supposedly, the wireless charging works... but if not (if the size of the phone doesn’t allow it to connect), cord works. Whatever security system I get will have some sort of iPhone integration, so all my bases should be covered.

One thing, I don’t push iOS on people. It’s like arguing brands of any object you want to use... vehicles, guns, etc. If it works for you, use it. 

Apple is the devil. Android all the way! I've had the galaxy active phones for a while now. My current phone has fallen out of my jeep 3 times while I was driving and the screen did not crack. It's also been dunked or dropped in water a few times without any issues. I do not have a case for my phone either. I'd like to see an iPhone do that......

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

iPhone guy...

However, I’m not too fond of the X line. I started on the 4, and currently have an 8 Plus. Main reason... home button. I personally like it, even though it technically isn’t a button.  

I’ve had iPhones for years and was going to stay away from the X for the same reason (and cost). Honestly it took less than a day to not miss the button.

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

Android - you couldn't pay me to use Apple. 

25 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Apple is the devil. Android all the way!

Ahhh, these guys get it. Never understood why people pay double or triple for a status symbol, when both phones do the same thing. Plus, with Android, you're not locked into proprietary services.

27 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I do not have a case for my phone either.

Me neither, I have an older Droid. Never had issues, people ask me why I don't upgrade every year.

Why? Do calls and texts operated differently when you spend $1000 a year on a new phone?

9 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I'd like to see an iPhone do that......

I ran over an early iPod Touch with a Chevy 3500 cutaway dually... still worked, even though screen was cracked. But in regards to cracking... you got lucky those three times. We have 20 phones on our business plan (which I manage), spanning a good spectrum of brands/models. Murphy can break anyone of them... and I’ve seen it happen.

To add to that, we have a lot more warranty claims on Android phones than iPhones. I am not sure which brand is the worst, but I do see a decent amount of them failing internally... no signs of major abuse, cracks, and mostly all inside cases. Just not working anymore.

And iPhones have been waterproof since the 7s. I run mine in a Lifeproof case mainly because if it gets into literal s***, I’m peeling the case off and tossing it.

voyager9, I am familiar with them. I had to deal with my boss’ original X. When they first came out, the move from TouchID to FaceID throughout apps was terrible! He had to use two phones (think it was the 7 Plus back then), and eventually gave the C to his daughter-in-law, and got the 8 Plus. The new Xs are likely better (he got one of them, and likes it now)... and it will continue to improve over time. But I got a 256GB 8 Plus that is paid for... I’m not upgrading the phone until I have to.

Android 100% of the time. I hate Apple, period. Not only their products but also their business practices. Apple has to lock everything down and charge for everything. I read somewhere that the entire reason Apple uses the propitiatory lightening plug is because they can charge a $15 license fee for every single product that uses that connection, and I mean every product. If you are a manufacturer of cables, you have a license fee for every color of that same cable. That is why they removed the head phone plug and why  every iphone dongle or cable costs so much. And there is a running joke that EVERY NEW technology Apple introduces has been available in a Samsung, Google, Motorola, etc... phone for at least 2 years.

Also, they LIE. Every single iphone is made in China, every single one. This is an American company!!!

Android devices, on the other hand, are made by multiple companies, you have a great selection. And because of the competition the hardware line-up is much better. The Android system is open. I connect my phone to my PC and can use it as a standard external storage device. I can side load apps if I want to, i'm not restricted to a specific app store.

1 minute ago, MartyZ said:

15 license fee for every single product that uses that connection

THis is a bit confusing.... Are you saying they charge 15.00 total for use of that jack style or Per item...  IE. 
when i buy a $6.00 lighting cable the company paid apple $15.00 for it?

1 minute ago, remixer said:

THis is a bit confusing.... Are you saying they charge 15.00 total for use of that jack style or Per item...  IE. 
when i buy a $6.00 lighting cable the company paid apple $15.00 for it?

The company paid $15 to Apple to use the connector for that particular model, I don't remember if it was 1 time or annual fee. But keep in mind, they paid $15 to use the lightening connector on a 3 foot white cable, $15 on a 3 foot gray cable, $15 on a 6 foot pink cable, etc...

So if you sell 10 different cables (color and size combination) you pay Apple $150 

The company paid $15 to Apple to use the connector for that particular model, I don't remember if it was 1 time or annual fee. But keep in mind, they paid $15 to use the lightening connector on a 3 foot white cable, $15 on a 3 foot gray cable, $15 on a 6 foot pink cable, etc...

So if you sell 10 different cables (color and size combination) you pay Apple $150 

To be honest... If i made cables and only paid 15.00 to license each (SKU)  it i would not really be concerned. 

but you other apple issues are legit :)

That makes much more sense :)

But to be fair 

the lighting cable is the best connector on any cell iv owned. I always has issues with others and the connector eventually not accepting the cable correctly and not charging....  Im not saying others currently are not as good.. but im just stating my experience. 

3 minutes ago, remixer said:

That makes much more sense :)

But to be fair 

the lighting cable is the best connector on any cell iv owned. I always has issues with others and the connector eventually not accepting the cable correctly and not charging....  Im not saying others currently are not as good.. but im just stating my experience. 

I have had the exact opposite experience. Unfortunately every one in my house hold except me has iphones. I tried to convert them but they are all stuck in the "easier interface" mentality. Anyway, I still use the original Galaxy S8 cable from 2 years ago. My wife's and Kid's iphone cables go bad every few months. 

4 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I have had the exact opposite experience. Unfortunately every one in my house hold except me has iphones. I tried to convert them but they are all stuck in the "easier interface" mentality. Anyway, I still use the original Galaxy S8 cable from 2 years ago. My wife's and Kid's iphone cables go bad every few months. 

To be fair... iv had an iphone for years... Last phone i had other then iphone i think was a blackberry.

38 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Also, they LIE. Every single iphone is made in China, every single one. This is an American company!!!.

Where is the lie?   Does ANYONE not know Apple’s phones, like most phones, are made in China?  I’ve never seen Apple claim otherwise. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 10X said:

Where is the lie?   Does ANYONE not know Apple’s phones, like most phones, are made in China?  I’ve never seen Apple claim otherwise. 

Don’t know... was actually about to ask the same thing.

Back of the phone makes it abundantly clear.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, 10X said:

The lie is that they are an american company, not a single portion of the iphone is built or assembled in the U.S. I know Samsung is not made in the U.S. either but Samsung in not an American company.

25 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Anyway, I still use the original Galaxy S8 cable from 2 years ago. My wife's and Kid's iphone cables go bad every few months. 

I've seen the same thing. Everyone I know who has a iPhone or iPad has complained about the connector/cable going bad. I'm still using the same Droid cable for at least 3+ years. Plus, it fits all types of other Android devices/phones, generic tablets, MP3 players, bluetooth speakers and many other items that charge from a USB cable.

And, I've never paid one cent for any music I've downloaded, compared to iTunes.

Some of the Parts are made in the USA, Foxcon is opening a plant in america that will also make chips.

• Accelerometer: Bosch Sensortech, based in Germany with locations in the U.S., China, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan
  • Audio chips: Cirrus Logic, based in the U.S. with locations in the U.K., China, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and Singapore
  • Battery: Samsung, based in South Korea with locations in 80 countries
  • Battery: Sunwoda Electronic, based in China
  • Camera: Qualcomm, based in the U.S. with locations in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, and more than a dozen locations through Europe and Latin America
  • Camera: Sony, based in Japan with locations in dozens of countries
  • Chips for 3G/4G/LTE networking: Qualcomm 
  • Compass: AKM Semiconductor, based in Japan with locations in the U.S., France, England, China, South Korea, and Taiwan
  • Glass screen: Corning, based in the U.S., with locations in Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, The Netherlands, Turkey, the U.K., and the United Arab Emirates 
  • Gyroscope: STMicroelectronics. Based in Switzerland, with locations in 35 countries
  • Flash memory: Toshiba, based in Japan with locations in over 50 countries 
  • Flash memory: Samsung 
  • LCD screen: Sharp, based in Japan with locations in 13 countries
  • LCD screen: LG, based in South Korea with locations in Poland and China
  • A-series processor: Samsung 
  • A-series processor: TSMC, based in Taiwan with locations in China, Singapore, and the U.S.
  • Touch ID: TSMC
  • Touch ID: Xintec. Based in Taiwan. 
  • Touch-screen controller: Broadcom, based in the U.S. with locations in Israel, Greece, the U.K., the Netherlands, Belgium, France, India, China, Taiwan, Singapore, and South Korea
  • Wi-Fi chip: Murata, based in the U.S. with locations in Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, India, Vietnam, The Netherlands, Spain, the U.K., Germany, Hungary, France, Italy, and Finland 

1 minute ago, remixer said:

Some of the Parts are made in the USA, Foxcon is opening a plant in america that will also make chips.

• Accelerometer: Bosch Sensortech, based in Germany with locations in the U.S., China, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan
  • Audio chips: Cirrus Logic, based in the U.S. with locations in the U.K., China, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and Singapore
  • Battery: Samsung, based in South Korea with locations in 80 countries
  • Battery: Sunwoda Electronic, based in China
  • Camera: Qualcomm, based in the U.S. with locations in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, and more than a dozen locations through Europe and Latin America
  • Camera: Sony, based in Japan with locations in dozens of countries
  • Chips for 3G/4G/LTE networking: Qualcomm 
  • Compass: AKM Semiconductor, based in Japan with locations in the U.S., France, England, China, South Korea, and Taiwan
  • Glass screen: Corning, based in the U.S., with locations in Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, The Netherlands, Turkey, the U.K., and the United Arab Emirates 
  • Gyroscope: STMicroelectronics. Based in Switzerland, with locations in 35 countries
  • Flash memory: Toshiba, based in Japan with locations in over 50 countries 
  • Flash memory: Samsung 
  • LCD screen: Sharp, based in Japan with locations in 13 countries
  • LCD screen: LG, based in South Korea with locations in Poland and China
  • A-series processor: Samsung 
  • A-series processor: TSMC, based in Taiwan with locations in China, Singapore, and the U.S.
  • Touch ID: TSMC
  • Touch ID: Xintec. Based in Taiwan. 
  • Touch-screen controller: Broadcom, based in the U.S. with locations in Israel, Greece, the U.K., the Netherlands, Belgium, France, India, China, Taiwan, Singapore, and South Korea
  • Wi-Fi chip: Murata, based in the U.S. with locations in Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, India, Vietnam, The Netherlands, Spain, the U.K., Germany, Hungary, France, Italy, and Finland 

And which of those components are actually made in the U.S? Not talking about company affiliations and locations, i'm talking about location the physical hardware is made.

The funny thing is that you can build an iphone from scratch buying all the components from street vendors in China because Apple can't control the gray or black market in China.

2 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

And which of those components are actually made in the U.S? Not talking about company affiliations and locations, i'm talking about location the physical hardware is made.

The funny thing is that you can build an iphone from scratch buying all the components from street vendeors in China because Apple can't control the gray or black market in China.

I have no clue but im sure some components are made in the USA. Foxconn will be making chips in the US and i would make sense some of that will be for apple.

China black / grey market carries everything.  no matter what it is or who makes it... They are thieves plain and simple.... 

Would i love American companies to make products in america... YES 100%  Sadly over the years the american market has be hostile to business, Only after trumps election have we rolled back some regulations.  Im hoping it continues... If we fall back less and less will be made here.

17 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

The lie is that they are an american company, not a single portion of the iphone is built or assembled in the U.S. I know Samsung is not made in the U.S. either but Samsung in not an American company.

So, you prefer your money to go just directly out of the country?

Whether or not you believe they are lying to you (how many “US” companies do this), Apple employees a crap ton of people inside the US. Their headquarters in CA employs a lot more than Samsung does within the US... and that doesn’t mention how many people are employed in US Apple Stores. Call up Apple support, you actually get a US based person on the phone.

Samsung, in 2013, had about 275,000 employees worldwide. 3.9% (or 10,725) were in the North America... not even just the US.

There isn’t any lying, especially when “Designed in California, Assembled in China” is stamped on the back of each device.

Just now, Screwball said:

There isn’t any lying, especially when “Designed in California, Assembled in China” is stamped on the back of each device.

Almost the same thing :)

Politically i hate apple..  but at the same time i would hate every other tech company as well..... if anyone can find me a 100% american made product that is as good... ill buy it.