diamondd817

Car Guru's - 2019 Chevy Traverse - Auto Stop/Start

Ok, so I just picked up a new 2019 Chevy Traverse to replace our aging GMC Acadia. Standard on these new vehicles is the engine auto stop/start. So far I am not loving this feature. I have found 2 ways so far to kinda override it. 1 is to do a quick brake pump while stopped or 2, shift the trans into L then back to D. Both ways will restart the engine and it will stay running at this point. My question is, is there a permanent way to override this feature with say an ECM flash? Or maybe a fuse that can be removed to disable it?

It's all about ASS.

No, not that. This.

Our new Rav4 also does this. It does seem to key off the brake pedal. If it's firmly down for nn seconds the engine stops. When the pressure is released it starts up. And yes the tach does go to zero.

1 minute ago, Handyman said:

I didn't know this was a thing. I always heard starting an engine was the most wear and tear. Won't this burn out starters faster?

Apparently the starters and ring gears have been "upgraded" to handle the constant stops and starts. I also thought starting and stopping the engine wasted more gas than idling for short periods. But I guess that was from the carburetor and early FI days.

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

I also thought starting and stopping the engine wasted more gas than idling for short periods.

Re-starting also pulls a lot of juice from the battery, so if you're doing a lot of short trips, where the battery isn't getting recharged each time, that can be an issue.

57 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Re-starting also pulls a lot of juice from the battery, so if you're doing a lot of short trips, where the battery isn't getting recharged each time, that can be an issue.

True. I read that Chevy is using a bigger, heavier duty battery for this system.

We have a 2018 and a 2019 GMC Terrain and both have the shutoff feature. There’s no way to turn it off bu5 once you get used to it it’s really not intrusive. I am doubious of how much fuel it actually saves though. Maybe if you are stopped at lights or in traffic a lot but that not part of my driving...

-Jim

4 minutes ago, JimB1 said:

We have a 2018 and a 2019 GMC Terrain and both have the shutoff feature. There’s no way to turn it off bu5 once you get used to it it’s really not intrusive. I am doubious of how much fuel it actually saves though. Maybe if you are stopped at lights or in traffic a lot but that not part of my driving...

-Jim

What bothers me the most about is that it's not fast enough to react in an emergency. I have tried a couple times to see how fast it would start and begin to move. All times I have been able to take my foot off the brake and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor before it is able to restart and begin moving. I fear I'm not going to be able to get out of the way of a fast approaching car that's not going to stop.

4 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Thanks, but I read that already. The Traverse doesn't have the shut off button, and driving in "L9" makes it shift through all 9 gears. Unlike driving in "D" which let's the trans skip gears depending on load and makes for a much smoother ride.

You could just only put half the pressure on the break at stop, enough to engage the break but not enough to stop the engine. Next time you are stopped and the engine cuts out, try letting off on the break, you’ll find there is a point that the engine starts again but the break is still engaged...

-Jim

• Agree 1

Holy crap. I just went through the vehicle looking for a auto start stop fuse/circuit. No luck so far. But I did find 3 friggin fuse boxes. 1 under the hood, 1 under the dash, and 1 in the cargo area. There must be 150 circuits in this vehicle. And you have to see the positive terminal on the battery in this thing. Looks like a set of bus bars in a generating station. 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:50 AM, Sniper said:

Or if you are stuck in a snow storm, amazing how much gas those car were saving as they were dead in the middle of the road waiting for a jump start.

As to disabling the feature, someone came up with a simple "fix" that would have a timing circuit act like pressing the disable button a few seconds after the car was originally started.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:39 AM, diamondd817 said:

Ok, so I just picked up a new 2019 Chevy Traverse to replace our aging GMC Acadia. Standard on these new vehicles is the engine auto stop/start. So far I am not loving this feature. I have found 2 ways so far to kinda override it. 1 is to do a quick brake pump while stopped or 2, shift the trans into L then back to D. Both ways will restart the engine and it will stay running at this point. My question is, is there a permanent way to override this feature with say an ECM flash? Or maybe a fuse that can be removed to disable it?

read this. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/lets-talk-about-engine-stop-start-part-2-disabling-the-feature/

I won't lecture ya. I drive an excursion. 7.5mpg. :D

n that note, another quick fix is to select Sport mode, assuming the vehicle in question has one. GM’s auto engine stop-start isn’t active in Sport mode, although the driver should be aware that other settings on the vehicle – throttle calibration, exhaust mode, suspension mode, shift scheduling, etc. – can also change in Sport,

I gotta ask though. you hadda know it had this feature...….what the hell possessed you to buy this pos?

9 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

n that note, another quick fix is to select Sport mode, assuming the vehicle in question has one. GM’s auto engine stop-start isn’t active in Sport mode, although the driver should be aware that other settings on the vehicle – throttle calibration, exhaust mode, suspension mode, shift scheduling, etc. – can also change in Sport,

I gotta ask though. you hadda know it had this feature...….what the hell possessed you to buy this pos?

Biggest SUV in this class with an actual adult usable 3rd row.  It was this or step up to a Tahoe/Suburban.

Great thread.  My son has a 2018 Traverse AWD.  Good size to hold him, his wife, and the five little ones. I like the vehicle.  However, I hate the idea of this auto stop/start.  My problem is my wife wants to buy the new Blazer, which of course will also have this. Glad there are some workarounds to it.

In one of the articles referred to above, I found a post mentioning www.smartstopstart.com.  They sell an easily installed relay that disables ASS.

When we buy the Blazer, I intend to seriously consider buying one of these.

17 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

In one of the articles referred to above, I found a post mentioning www.smartstopstart.com.  They sell an easily installed relay that disables ASS.

When we buy the Blazer, I intend to seriously consider buying one of these.

That's what I'm looking for. Good job finding that. Thanks

6 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Biggest SUV in this class with an actual adult usable 3rd row.  It was this or step up to a Tahoe/Suburban.

can't go wrong with a Tahoe or surburban. unless they've got ass now. I think gm solved most of the issues with their variable displacement systems on those...….