diamondd817

Car Guru's - 2019 Chevy Traverse - Auto Stop/Start

All new cars have this shit. I have yet to drive something newer that didn't.. From pick ups to passenger vehicles.. My 2017 Escape has it too. If you dont smash down the pedal it wont kill it, but if you depress the brake fully at a stop it will turn off. Fortunately i have the override button i press whenever i get into the car. That crap is such a hazard its insane.. God forbid you have to maneuver out of the way to avoid an accident or need to clear an intersection quickly or something like that, that 2 or 3 second delay could get someone killed. Wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't...

Anyhow, i know with the fords it can be disabled, id bet theres a trick for the chevy's too. Ask your dealer, i bet they can disable it with their handy dandy computer.

3 minutes ago, W2MC said:

I am now re-thinking any 'new' vehicles in my future.....

I need to revise my statement, my fathers new (2019?) Ford Transit Van (Cargo Van) is base package and does not have it. Its the commercial "Rape Van" Model. Every other car does have it though.. My mothers Audi S5, my Sisters Durango, My Escape, i know new F150s have it. You may be OK with base model vehicles, i know my Escape is a step above complete base package, i have cruise control and the AWD and all that fun stuff but still has cloth seats and what not. My sisters older Benz had it too, was probably a 2015 model.

Not a fan. On any vehicle ive driven there is a button to disable it but you have to push it every time, or have the dealer do their magic and disable it perhaps.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:39 AM, diamondd817 said:

Ok, so I just picked up a new 2019 Chevy Traverse to replace our aging GMC Acadia. Standard on these new vehicles is the engine auto stop/start. So far I am not loving this feature. I have found 2 ways so far to kinda override it. 1 is to do a quick brake pump while stopped or 2, shift the trans into L then back to D. Both ways will restart the engine and it will stay running at this point. My question is, is there a permanent way to override this feature with say an ECM flash? Or maybe a fuse that can be removed to disable it?

https://www.smartstopstart.com/chevy-buick-cadillac-gmc-products.html

This is what you need. I put one in my Jeep.

Purchased a traverse in jan, if you bump the brake twice when you stop at light it will not shut down. just before you stop let up on brake and step on it to stop and it will stay running. 

The Tahoe and suburban have shut off feature. but the Tahoe is step down from the traverse in cabin space.

Did you purchase the extended warranty on electrical, the computer processing ? This vehicle scares the shit out of me it controls the friggin vehicle right down to pushing the button to start it.  It starts it for you.

7 hours ago, tony357 said:

Purchased a traverse in jan, if you bump the brake twice when you stop at light it will not shut down. just before you stop let up on brake and step on it to stop and it will stay running. 

The Tahoe and suburban have shut off feature. but the Tahoe is step down from the traverse in cabin space.

Did you purchase the extended warranty on electrical, the computer processing ? This vehicle scares the shit out of me it controls the friggin vehicle right down to pushing the button to start it.  It starts it for you.

I'm leasing, so it's covered bumper to bumper for my lease term.

Does it shut down the car completely or deactivate all but one cylinder?  My mother in law has a newer (2015 or 16) Benz and I drove it once.  It had similar feature.  She said all but one cylinder shuts off when stopped.  

Stuff like this feature and all the tech they keep adding to vehicles makes me appreciate the simplicity of my 2004 Grand Prix 

Can you even change the battery yourself on that thing?  I swear they keep making vehicles more and more "advanced" just so you need to bring it back to the dealer or a garage for the slightest issue.

I have a 2016 F150, my wife, a 2017 Escape and all their 'ECO' models have it. You are making a big deal out of it. The time frame it kicks in is no longer than the time it takes from the second you move your foot to the gas pedal, its already running. It shuts down the engine entirely, not just a cylinder. First time it kicked in, it freaked me out. But you get use to it. Its just a function that is suppose to help you save gas which is a good thing. So not sure why this bothers you so much. Stop over thinking it. It's a good thing.

9 hours ago, tony357 said:

all new stuff does this now. even key started cars are essentially asking the body control module to crank the starter.

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

I'm leasing, so it's covered bumper to bumper for my lease term.

unless they gave you a super good deal, you'll still be responsible for brakes, tires, and other basic maintenance such as oil changes. and you DO NOT have to have that stuff done at the dealer.

I took out coverage for tires and rims also was like 200 bucks.. 

I get one free oil change.

I did get 2750. on a rebate. 

also took out ding and dent coverage on that service contract. Covered bump to bumper 6 years 72k, o deductible.

3 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

How is it working for you? Does it cause any problems with other systems?

7 months in so far not a glitch.  All the module does is make the computer remember your last setting. If you turn of the start stop it will not come back on until you shut down with it turned on again. 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

all new stuff does this now. even key started cars are essentially asking the body control module to crank the starter.

unless they gave you a super good deal, you'll still be responsible for brakes, tires, and other basic maintenance such as oil changes. and you DO NOT have to have that stuff done at the dealer.

Of course. I have been leasing for a number of years now, and the 6 cars that I have leased, not once have I had to replace tires or brakes within the 36,000mls. Only thing I have done is oil changes. 

2 minutes ago, GramGun79 said:

7 months in so far not a glitch.  All the module does is make the computer remember your last setting. If you turn of the start stop it will not come back on until you shut down with it turned on again. 

That's the one thing about the new Traverse, there is no button to shut it off.

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

I have a 2016 F150, my wife, a 2017 Escape and all their 'ECO' models have it. You are making a big deal out of it. The time frame it kicks in is no longer than the time it takes from the second you move your foot to the gas pedal, its already running. It shuts down the engine entirely, not just a cylinder. First time it kicked in, it freaked me out. But you get use to it. Its just a function that is suppose to help you save gas which is a good thing. So not sure why this bothers you so much. Stop over thinking it. It's a good thing.

After installing the module i actually get better gas mileage in my Grand Cherokee. Not a huge difference but slightly better

3 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Of course. I have been leasing for a number of years now, and the 6 cars that I have leased, not once have I had to replace tires or brakes within the 36,000mls. Only thing I have done is oil changes. 

there is usually an A with a circle around it. I dont know abut the traverse never seen one on the inside

8 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

actually i just read the description for the module. It claims to automatically over ride the start stop once installed. I guess no need to manually shut off the 1st time you install like my Jeep.

11 hours ago, bhunted said:

I hate to make it an age thing; i don't know how old you are, but it most definitely has a noticeable delay. I'm relatively young (25), so i could move my leg from the brake to gas pretty quickly...:B:):

Again, on my Escape. My 2011 F150 doesn't have it, thank god.

1 minute ago, Lambo2936 said:

I hate to make it an age thing; i don't know how old you are, but it most definitely has a noticeable delay. I'm relatively young (25), so i could move my leg from the brake to gas pretty quickly...:B:):

My goodness, @bhunted, he just called you an old fucker. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

Yep! You turn the key just once and let go and it still starts, you're just giving it the OK signal.. Versus older cars like my Crown Vic i had where you had to hold it turned for a second for it to turn over and start. My 2011 F150 you just turn it real quick and let go and it starts up.

@BobA In my defense, i DID write " I hate to make it an age thing; i don't know how old you are" :D

11 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Go ahead, make it an age thing. Yes, I'm old enough to be your father, possibly grandfather, but this is nit picking. Maybe its a youngster problem that every kid has to get things done by doing 100 mph on a Sunday morning. WTF is the hurry? Do kids have to whine about every little thing? Damn snowflakes. lol... Wow, he was delayed by a second. 

11 hours ago, BobA said:

My goodness, @bhunted, he just called you an old fucker. 

LOL,  yep. That's ok. With age comes wisdom....

Blame the Greenies on the left, who get to control you because they know better than you...

“EPA regulations incentivize the use of [stop/start] technology because it has on-road fuel economy and greenhouse-gas benefits not fully captured on EPA’s fuel-economy tests,” a Ford spokesman said in an email. “In order to qualify for the incentives, [it] must be the predominant operating mode for the vehicle, such that the driver cannot permanently disable it.”

That has not stopped some people from turning to the internet for ways to shut it off for good. In one example on YouTube, a young man plugs a trailer-light tester into the hitch receiver of a 2018 Ford F-150 to show viewers how to permanently latch an otherwise nonlatching stop/start system. In that case, the system won’t engage because the truck thinks it’s pulling a load. Incidentally, there are other scenarios in which the engine will not shut off, even when stop/start is engaged, such as if the steering wheel is being turned, the battery voltage is too low, or the air conditioning needs to keep running to maintain a comfortable cabin because of hot outside temperatures. Stop/start systems are otherwise accompanied by beefier batteries and starter motors to support the greater demands of the engine frequently cycling on and off.

12 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

on the delay thing.....i'm a left footed braker. i can pretty much guarantee that i'll be on the throttle long before the engine re-starts. and on at least two occasions i did in fact have to move to avoid getting clobbered,.....both of those instances an ass system would've had me being taken away in an amberlamps.

14 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

on the delay thing.....i'm a left footed braker. i can pretty much guarantee that i'll be on the throttle long before the engine re-starts. and on at least two occasions i did in fact have to move to avoid getting clobbered,.....both of those instances an ass system would've had me being taken away in an amberlamps.

Yeah, I wonder how long it will be before the class action lawsuit gets filed.

6 hours ago, bhunted said:

Go ahead, make it an age thing. Yes, I'm old enough to be your father, possibly grandfather, but this is nit picking. Maybe its a youngster problem that every kid has to get things done by doing 100 mph on a Sunday morning. WTF is the hurry? Do kids have to whine about every little thing? Damn snowflakes. lol... Wow, he was delayed by a second.

My statement wasn't that i'd be inconvenienced by a 1-second delay, it was rather a safety concern.
Someones coming up behind you in a snow storm, and you see that he cant/wont stop. Can you get out the way? Yeah, sure, in two seconds.
I work in Newark often enough for that to be a legitimate safety concern. On a regular basis people cracked out of their minds get behind the wheel and ram into people. Nooo f**in thanks.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

I GOOGLED IT. couldn't find anything pointint to crahes caused by this......which i find weird

i do find it amusing though that this system is ass

I can absolutely guarantee that it has been a factor in more than just a few accidents. Perhaps they are hush-hushing it because god forbid leftists admit they dun goofed. Perhaps people just don't realize, in that split second, that THAT was the issue and rather blame the guy who hit them; which is correct, obviously its that guys fault, but id rather not be in an accident than be in one and get to point fingers. Injured is Injured.