Is it just me or does it seem like this board is getting hit with a high number of questions from new people asking questions that are looking for ways to circumvent the laws in order to become a headline on NJ.COM ? 

I can understand the occasional question but there just seems like there are too many.

I'm wondering if Goober is trolling for a gun forum member to make an illegal sale or give bad advice .   

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, revenger said:

Is it just me or does it seem like this board is getting hit with a high number of questions from new people asking questions that are looking for ways to circumvent the laws in order to become a headline on NJ.COM ? 

This is why I said the other day we need to "think" before immediately responding to a new poster, as we don't know their history or motives. Many here are quick to help (which is nice), but we need to be careful that a new poster isn't trolling to see what he can "snag".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Please. We can't let the fact that other people are busybodies interfere with our freedom.

For example, just the other day I bought a crate of ghost guns using the gun show loophole. I sold them to a bunch of crack whores and skin heads that live down the street. I'm using the profits to score some weed (as soon as it's legal). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

LOL,

Good topic though.

So some thoughts on this.

We are in fact getting more new people.  More new people = lots more newbies who have those questions.  A large part of this is me doing more on the back-end to promote the site in combination with the new software being far better.

Factor in the new Range Directory and Store Directory, those results in google end up bringing more new people.

Beyond that though, I know damn well that no one here would be stupid enough to give illegal advice and I want to reassure that most people who visit the community are in fact lurkers and it takes a lot of effort to ask a question at the expense of being ridiculed. 

Does it mean there are no legit trolls out there?  No... but quite honestly there was only 1 or 2 that I can think of.  Most of them lurk on Facebook and other social media groups.

We are all legal, law abiding gun owners, there is nothing to be afraid of answering new gun owner questions.

When someone does ask a legit question like wanting to buy a gun without paperwork... well, they know it is wrong and I have no issues with people letting them know.  Most of all, if you do see something that does not seem Kosher, let either myself, @67gtonut or @Krdshrk know.

We do have a few tools to see and can investigate further.

In most of the cases where a few of you were quick to call out "troll" were in fact elderly gents who quite honestly did not know better.

Btw, the general SOP for me in cases like this is to send the user a message and feel them out.  They are a lot more responsive via private messages or email and usually you get the story.

For instance, one recent poster tried to post a "FTF" transfer and what it was was simply the gun owner was a retiree who was not aware of the new laws and seldom shot.  Came to the community to list some guns for sale. 

actually, it's very easy to just ask a question. when I first joined, I was asking questions. no problem. why do I care if someone's laughs at me? I never asked how to circumvent the law though, and never will.....'cause i'm too pretty to go to the greybar motel. :)

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

actually, it's very easy to just ask a question. when I first joined, I was asking questions. no problem. why do I care if someone's laughs at me? I never asked how to circumvent the law though, and never will.....'cause i'm too pretty to go to the greybar motel. :)

I think it may also be a generational thing?

It's quite funny but I would say more than 90% of the registered members NEVER post/start a topic/ask questions.

Even less as a percentage are registered members.

Was at a store some time ago wearing NJGF t-shirt.  Someone comes up and asks me if I was on the community.  I ask him what his username is... he said "I visit every day but I never registered."

13 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It's not just our board.  I just saw this on Armslist!

"I got 400$ for a 9mm pistol discreet purchase only email me, if you got something more or less than 400$ let me know"

Iv been seeing strange things on armslist for ages.... People wanting guns without permits or having it picked us from a private carrier etc etc... Its just how it goes.

9 hours ago, silverado427 said:

You need a section called . Ask your newbie questions here.

I agree

9 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

LOL

9 hours ago, Maksim said:

I think it may also be a generational thing?

It's quite funny but I would say more than 90% of the registered members NEVER post/start a topic/ask questions.

Even less as a percentage are registered members.

Was at a store some time ago wearing NJGF t-shirt.  Someone comes up and asks me if I was on the community.  I ask him what his username is... he said "I visit every day but I never registered."

possibly on the generational thing. i've ALWAYS been one to ask questions. to the point of annoyance sometimes, lolol

i do notice it's only generally less than a dozen of us that ask questions i don't understand repeatedly visiting a forum and not registering....unless they're afraid they'll land on a list for registering on an evil gun forum?

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

....unless they're afraid they'll land on a list for registering on an evil gun forum?

That's what they learned about us.

Hey, can you get a Degree in Hoplophobic Studies anywhere??

Must be a place - somewhere!

4 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

I'm not surprised we have so many 'lurkers', as we do.

We discuss, what for some, is the most evil of things they could have in their life - A GUN

Or it could just be some people like to learn first so they don't ask stupid questions.  NJ does not have a strong heritage, so many know absolutely nothing about firearms other than whats on tv.   I was a "lurker" for a while.  I tried to learn the rules, terms and whatever else i could.  

There is actually a lot of information to be found here.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

stupid-question.png

Trust me, there are a lot of stupid questions.  And even more stupid answers.

• Agree 3

I'm not surprised there are so many lurkers. It's pretty common for forums. I also think with guns constantly in the news, there are also just a lot of curious people who are new to the topic. And not everyone believes everything from both sides of the spectrum news stations. Asking questions to people who don't try to make money off of scare tactics seems a good way to go. This forum has been very helpful when it comes to my gun questions and I appreciate it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeteF said:

Trust me, there are a lot of stupid questions.  And even more stupid answers.

Any chance stupid people ask stupid questions, and once they get their answer, they become smarter?

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

No such things as stupid questions, only stupid people.

And they stay stupid until they ask all those questions and get educated.

59 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Any chance stupid people ask stupid questions, and once they get their answer, they become smarter?

And they stay stupid until they ask all those questions and get educated.

Ignorant people ask questions and become smarter or more educated.  These people are not the issue.

Stupid people ask the same question over and over and expect different results.

Or just ask questions so stupid they need to be smacked.   ALA Hank Johnson "Will Guam capsize"

Or the guy here that asked if throwing his pistol over a wall was a good way to clear a jam.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Ignorant people ask questions and become smarter or more educated.  These people are not the issue.

Stupid people ask the same question over and over and expect different results.

New Poster: Can I buy a gun in PA and bring it back to NJ?

Forum replies: A long gun, as long as you get it from an FFL in a NJ legal configuration, etc etc

OP: But what about a handgun?

Forum: You can pay for it, but it has to ship to a NJ FFL.

OP: But I really want it, why can't I buy it in PA?

Forum: You can.  Federal law says it has to go to FFL in your state to actually acquire it though.

OP: But I like, really, really, REALLY want it and don't want to go through NJ

Forum: Tough shit

OP: So can I buy this handgun face to face in PA or not?

Forum: ... [Collective :facepalm: ]

OP: Also, can I just get two extra 20 round mags, cause they are cheaper than four 10 round mags?  The guy I'm buying my handgun from face to face in PA offered the mags to me for $30 each.

OP: How do I have to transport the gun and 20 round mags I just bought face-to-face in PA to NJ?

Forum: ....

OP: My new friend in PA has a semi auto shotgun he wants to sell, it's so awesome you guys!  Holds like 10 rounds and has a folding stock and easily 10 pounds of extra accessories attached to it.  What should I pay for it?

OP: My new shotgun is so cool you guys!

OP: You guys keep talking about FPID, what is that and how do I get one?  Also, if I have been arrested 4 or 5 times, is that a problem?

OP: You guys aren't very helpful

OP: *RAGEQUITS* and goes to range, gun jams, throws it over wall to unjam it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Malice4you said:

New Poster: Can I buy a gun in PA and bring it back to NJ?

Forum replies: A long gun, as long as you get it from an FFL in a NJ legal configuration, etc etc

OP: But what about a handgun?

Forum: You can pay for it, but it has to ship to a NJ FFL.

OP: But I really want it, why can't I buy it in PA?

Forum: You can.  Federal law says it has to go to FFL in your state to actually acquire it though.

OP: But I like, really, really, REALLY want it and don't want to go through NJ

Forum: Tough shit

OP: So can I buy this handgun face to face in PA or not?

Forum: ... [Collective :facepalm: ]

OP: Also, can I just get two extra 20 round mags, cause they are cheaper than four 10 round mags?  The guy I'm buying my handgun from face to face in PA offered the mags to me for $30 each.

OP: How do I have to transport the gun and 20 round mags I just bought face-to-face in PA to NJ?

Forum: ....

OP: My new friend in PA has a semi auto shotgun he wants to sell, it's so awesome you guys!  Holds like 10 rounds and has a folding stock and easily 10 pounds of extra accessories attached to it.  What should I pay for it?

OP: My new shotgun is so cool you guys!

OP: You guys keep talking about FPID, what is that and how do I get one?  Also, if I have been arrested 4 or 5 times, is that a problem?

OP: You guys aren't very helpful

OP: *RAGEQUITS* and goes to range, gun jams, throws it over wall to unjam it.

What I learned as a PA resident... there is actually no Face to Face in PA for handguns... you need to meet and do the transaction at an FFL or a police stations, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

What I learned as a PA resident... there is actually no Face to Face in PA for handguns... you need to meet and do the transaction at an FFL or a police stations, etc. 

Our theoretical poster wouldn't care about such trifling things...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Same up here in NH. If you dont have a ccw permit most people will meet at an FFL for the transfer 

I'm just glad that as of next week, I'll be able to add smoking a joint to my usual pre-shooting six pack. 

Anyone want to meet me at the range? I bought a new black-market 50 caliber ghost gun with a shoulder thing that goes up and a bunch of extra clips.