david8613

Picking up up .308 tomorrow tell me about this big boy?

31 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Lmao! You guys are shot!!! This thread is too funny... 

I didnt respond sooner handling alot of stuff today.

The reason I'm looking into this is because I had a nice saiga couple of years ago, but sold it and regretted it ever since. I miss shooting her, recoil, hard hitting. I was looking around for replacement and thought why dont Ijust go .308 and get hard hitting and also distance if i wanted to in one platform. Besides I already have something in 5.56 I figured what the hell. Nothing fancy, buying used ranier arms barrel basic stuff. 

lar8.jpg

31 minutes ago, david8613 said:

The reason I'm looking into this is because I had a nice saiga couple of years ago, but sold it and regretted it ever since. I miss shooting her, recoil, hard hitting. I was looking around for replacement and thought why dont Ijust go .308 and get hard hitting and also distance if i wanted to in one platform. Besides I already have something in 5.56 I figured what the hell. Nothing fancy, buying used ranier arms barrel basic stuff. 

Was it in 5.56 and did you sell it with some mystery ammo in canvas bags?

9 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

So you bought a product and know nothing about it?  How have you made it this far in life?

The reason I'm looking into this is because I had a nice saiga couple of years ago, but sold it and regretted it ever since. I miss shooting her, recoil, hard hitting. I was looking around for replacement and thought why dont Ijust go .308 and get hard hitting and also distance if i wanted to in one platform. Besides I already have something in 5.56 I figured what the hell. Nothing fancy, buying used ranier arms barrel basic stuff. 

•  
  • Informative 1

22 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Hey guys, I bought a new 9mm firearm and I don't know anything about it.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks in advance.  

Well, someone once told me, you look down those little metal thingies on the top, hold firmly and squeeze the trigger,

reverse-pistol-2-1024-1.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

It took a few posts for this one to get interesting.  It reminds me of a scene from clerks. 

Oh and to answer the question, even with lack of info, I’ve never been a fan of .308 ARs.  I’ve had a few, they always seem like a good idea but not really.  If you want an accurate AR that won’t punish you or is brutally heavy get a 6mm AR (if you reload) if not get a Grendel (plenty of factory ammo).   I’ve sold both my .308 ARs but kept my scar 17 even though I don’t shoot it anymore. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

The reason I'm looking into this is because I had a nice saiga couple of years ago, but sold it and regretted it ever since. I miss shooting her, recoil, hard hitting. I was looking around for replacement and thought why dont Ijust go .308 and get hard hitting and also distance if i wanted to in one platform. Besides I already have something in 5.56 I figured what the hell. Nothing fancy, buying used ranier arms barrel basic stuff. 

•  

DA FUG...

1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

My AR pattern 308 is my go to! It encompasses such a wide spectrum of capability. My 308 can cover just about everything my 5.56 can do but the reverse is not true.

Except cost, weight and reliability.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 10:44 PM, Shane45 said:

I'll give you cost. The other two, not so much. All my 308's have been dead reliable. My go to 308 makes weight for what Im comfortable with. IIRC its 8.1lbs.

Gimme weight too.

Unless your talking M1A's or SCAR17s I ain't carrying that big, heavy, mostly reliable 308 when a 556 will do eveything I need it to in my current location.

• Like 1

My AR pattern 308 is every bit as reliable as my SCAR17. They are about even in weight. The AR is more accurate by a margin. Big? As in dimensions? A 5.56 may meet your needs. But your claim appears to be 308 AR's cant make weight and are unreliable. I contend that the right one is absolutely reliable and makes weight. I pursued this path because I wanted 1 rifle capable of room clearing through the front door and making an 800 yd shot out the back door. (a wide spectrum of capability)

I would use a 12.5” suppressed Grendel for that.  I find the .308 loud and punishing physically.  If you’re going to match weight with a 5.56 it’s only going to be more felt recoil. 

It wasn't a serious match or anything but I was able to take 1st with my 308 at a 2 gun style match against a field of 5.56's. I do not find my 308 punishing at all! But you could certainly tell the big difference of energy on target when I hit the steel vs the 5.56's! It wasnt until then people realised I was running a 308.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Shane45 said:

My AR pattern 308 is every bit as reliable as my SCAR17. They are about even in weight. The AR is more accurate by a margin. Big? As in dimensions? A 5.56 may meet your needs. But your claim appears to be 308 AR's cant make weight and are unreliable. I contend that the right one is absolutely reliable and makes weight. I pursued this path because I wanted 1 rifle capable of room clearing through the front door and making an 800 yd shot out the back door. (a wide spectrum of capability)

We are looking at this in different spectrums.  Yes, a quality made 308 rifle is just about as reliable as an AR but not quite.  When I mean weight, I mean the rifle, the ammunition and the magazines.  

As far as "room clearing the front door and then an 800 yard shot out the back door" is not possible where I live.  For me it's "room clearing a small apartment to a shoot up the block".  556 all day.

Now, if I lived where you do?  308 all day.

• Like 1

Interesting debate this is turning into.

I believe where we can see a mix in this is the various 6mm calibers being developed to fit into the standard AR pmag/lower.

6.5 CM is a step in that direction and will be interesting to see how 350 legend does.  The problem with 308 is of course the weight and quite honestly, the ballistics that you get out of factory ammo versus something designed out of the box.

Are you calling my 308 fat!?? Shit my 308 is lighter than an HK MR5.56 or a CZ805! And I contend just as reliable as either of those reliable rifles.

I agree a lot to like in the 6.5 world but Ive been a proponent there from when I had my GA Precision in 260 rem back in 2005ish IIRC.