david8613

Picking up up .308 tomorrow tell me about this big boy?

23 hours ago, Shane45 said:

Of course you have to pick what fits for you. I think we are in agreement except for this "Yes, a quality made 308 rifle is just about as reliable as an AR but not quite." Im curious about the not quite. What makes you say that?

I am strictly talking AR10s.  The SCAR17 and M1As are reliable.  

Well, AR10's are strictly Armalite. And BTW I have not found M1As to be reliable! They can hang in a casual range environment but seem to go off the rails when pressed in higher round count training sessions. My LMT MWS was very reliable and won the mil trials in Europe. My OBR is very reliable and has done very well in trails behind the wire and in deployment. My SR25 EMC is very reliable and has done very well in trails behind the wire and in deployment. I have not had a single malfunction in any of these rifles. I have run them in crappy conditions and they have been run excessively dirty and some have run in the environment that really tests an ar, lots of rounds in little time. No issues. But of course this is anecdotal. Samples of 1 if you will. But the reputations of these specific rifles indicate that most have the same experience.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Well, AR10's are strictly Armalite. 

AR10 meaning 308 AR15s!

The rifles you mentioned are not in large quantities or in circulation around the US, and they are expensive as hell.

You can't tell me that a quality AR15 from BCM, Colt or Daniel Defense isn't more reliable than their 308 counterparts. 

Which is why I say large pattern AR etc etc. Saying AR10 is like calling all 4 wheel drives Jeeps :). I never disputed cost. Lets clarify your contention. More reliable how? General operation and mean rounds between a malfunction? In other words are you saying that the ar15 counterpart would have less stoppages per 1000 rounds vs the 308? 

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

AR10 meaning 308 AR15s!

The rifles you mentioned are not in large quantities or in circulation around the US, and they are expensive as hell.

You can't tell me that a quality AR15 from BCM, Colt or Daniel Defense isn't more reliable than their 308 counterparts. 

I have an old as hell DPMS I think they told me it is from 91 or something.. the gun is extremely reliable and shoots well unless it gets really dirty.. then the bolt starts to go slow and I have cycling issues.. 

I always built mine in the LR308 platform.   I think we all know what ray was getting at using AR10 for large format ar15s.  I wouldn’t use the Jeep to 4x4 analogy but rather xerox to photo copy. For years people would say I need to xerox this or give me a Kleenex instead of saying tissue. 

• Thanks 1