Jayhawk

How can I check if a firearm is reported "stolen" before transferring to me?

Is there a way via SN search that I can check if firearms that I am about to have shipped to me have been listed as stolen?

I understand there's a site called hotgunz.com but that it's not always reliable b/c the victim reports the data into it.

Would I be able to check with (NJ) State Police without the risk of implicating myself or getting myself in trouble?

Long story short, they are handguns that belonged to my father before he passed, in possession with an out of state family friend currently, and I need to bring them back to NJ as legally as possible without getting myself into a legal mess.  But a member of the family who has a grudge w/ my mother listed some other of my father's firearms as stolen, and I need to know if these two handguns were included in that stolen report.

Thanks!!!

13 minutes ago, remixer said:

I Would contact the same department she reported the firearms stolen to.. they might be able to help.

Unfortunately I don't know what department, and she's not on speaking terms with my family.

I went to my local PD when I bought a shotgun P2P. I explained to them that I just bought it and I wanted to make sure it was on the up and up. They ran the serial, said it was ok and I walked out. Looking at your predicament, I don't know if it is a good idea. I also would assume they need to be shipped to a FFL, and it might turn up that way but I am not sure.