Underdog

M&P 9C Fans?

Are there any Smith & Wesson M&P 9C fans out there?   I really hope that Smith doesn't discontinue it and that a 2.0 version is on the horizon.  It is always good to have choices.   I imagine it will be discontinued, though.  Let me know if you have one for sale.

When it first came out the 9C had an awful trigger, however, the M&P triggers are much better now.  They are smoother and have a much more pronounced audible reset.  And an older one with an APEX trigger is quite nice, anyway.    Some don't like the hinged trigger.  I  might prefer a better design, but it does not irritate my index finger like a Glock's trigger does.  I am not knocking Glock, both are good, but the Smith is plastic perfection.   The hinged trigger kind of grows on you, however there are other options out there.  

I wish X-grip or some other company would step up to the plate and make mag sleeves for the 2.0 Compact Mags to work in the 9C.   That combo would make  the perfect package.  And there is a lot of versatility there as well. You can use the flush 9C mags if concealment is an issue and/or put a pinky plate on the mag.  Next, you can use the 2.0 compact mags with or without a pinky thing, and lastly, you can use the full-size magazines to their fullest capacity where legal without statist law with the full-size sleeves..

But by far, the 2.0 compact mag in the 9C is just perfect.  True, you can get an X-grip sleeve for a full size mag and cut it down to size, but it still doesn't gel perfectly.  Cutting it from the bottom  of the sleeve makes it look more like a factory grip, while cutting it from the top gives it a little flare at the bottom which some may like.  I prefer cutting it from the bottom.  And, if you want to conceal, the pistol the less rough texture of the grip over the 2.0 3.6" one might be a consideration depending on how you carry it as some complain about the rough texture on the new 2.0s (I like the grippiness, though).

So, drumroll... Arguably the M&P 9C would be THE perfect double-stack concealed carry semi-auto with those 2.0 magazines installed and grip sleeves.  In real America it would be loaded with 15 rounds and somewhere in size between a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 and with better ergonomics and stock metal sights.  And, as a backup you could carry a fully loaded full-size magazine.   I would have to look, but I think it has a longer sight radius than the G19 as well.   And with the 2.0 magazines you don't have that awkward, clumsiness of the 9C with stock magazines.  It is like a new gun!     A close second (or tie) would be the new M&P 2.0 with the slightly longer 3.6" barrel.  Before the Murphy shit, you could pickup a Hyve +3 magazine adapter and install it on the 12-round factory M&P 9C magazines and you would be at the sweet spot as well.  However, I don't really like that showy aluminum and the Hyve advertisements and would have wanted one that blended in better.  The only other negative in my mind is that you would have to see if the grips will drop freely for you.

In my opinion, the M&P 9C is like a double stack Shield!  Do you agree?

Any of you fans, what sights and holsters do you like for the 9C or the 2.0s?

Problem with S&W was calling the new one the Compact... just like the smaller “Compact.” It is Glock 26/27 size, so Sub-Compact would have been more appropriate.

I can’t see S&W dropping the smaller gun... and likely will have a name change when the 2.0 version comes out. People like the different sizes... more so when more than three or you can mix/match.

I picked the older Compact up with a 5” Pro... both in .40. When I bought it, the Glocks were out of stock everywhere, and you could still get the M&Ps. But of course, I bought from Phil when Brick Armory was still a thing... which was a complete s***show. Took threatening to file a dispute/contact the NJSP to get them to show up... and some time later, BA went tits up.

They are good little guns. I put matching Apex parts in both of them, so they have identical triggers. Rail on the Compact is nice, but can’t mount a TLR-7 on it due to the trigger guard (cants the light). I do have smaller a smaller Insight option (X2, maybe), but never tried tossing on the TLR-3. Really, I like it as a backup, so a light isn’t that necessary.

Holster wise, I really never got into them with the M&Ps. I have a few common ones, but nothing too elaborate and never got the urge to carry either (.40 kind of never took off with me, except for late). I did get a .40 SUB-2000 that takes those magazines, which I might toss in as a truck gun when in ME... seeing I’ll be using .40 up there for at least the next year or so.

What I really want to see S&W do is make higher capacity magazines for the M&P line. I might get a few ProMags, as I’ve heard ok reliability with the long ones... but would rather a better produced magazine.