ChrisJM981

Proper Cleaning

Now I've read the manual as far as cleaning, but I never know if I'm doing it right. My Glock has a lot of little parts that collect burnt powder but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to clean them. I think some parts have long term lube on them and shouldn't be touched. Can anyone recommend an in depth cleaning guide? Commercial would be okay, but I always prefer the free kind preferably with video and pictures. :D

Same thing for for a S&W 22A.

And maybe a Bushmaster too. ;)

I was always better at getting them dirty than clean.

If you clean after ever range session it shouldn't be a big deal.

I clean the barrel and slide on my Glock and just wipe the rest of it down with an oily cloth. When your finished put some oil on a dry patch and run it through the barrel. Also put some oil on the rails and you will be good to go.

The AR can be a bit more time consuming. I take the bolt out of the carrier and the firing pin out and clean and lube them. The barrel of course gets a good scrubbing and CLP lube when finished. Don't forget to give the chamber a good cleaning especially if your using Wolf ammo.

Not much more to it really.

for the 22's, especially the S&W 22a, needs to be very clean. Do a full teardown... so the basic strip, and clean all.

I also remove the 4? screws and take the grip off and clean the mag well.

Keep it clean, and will shoot well.

I always break it down and clean the slide and barrel inside and out. I wipe down the spring, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that. It's internal parts of the frame that I'm unsure of. All these parts:

I use bore cleaner and clean out the inside of the slide, frame, etc. To clean out the bore cleaner I use Brake Kleen in the red can. It's the same as Gunscrubber but 1/3 the price. I went to a Glock seminar a few years ago and Glock endorsed using Gunscrubber. Keep in mind that after using Brake Kleen or Gunscrubber the entire pistol is absolutely dry. It may turn the slide grey but all you have to do is wipe it down with lubricant and it's black and shiny. To lube I use CLP. A small drop in the mechanism in the frame. While not really needed I use a small brush and brush down the inner frame, slide, barrel, and recoil spring and guide with CLP. You can't miss lube points as you lube everything except the face of the breech where the firing pin comes out to strike the primer. I think this makes the gun easier to clean next time as carbon and gunk fall on lubricant which is on the aprts not directly on the parts.

This has worked for me for years.

PS Using the Gunscrubber or Brake Kleen removes any need or desire to detail strip a gun. too many guns get screwed up taking them totally down and putting them back together. I been a Firearms Instructor for over 30 years and the only reason I ever saw to take a gun apart was when it was broken. Too many have a fascination with deatil stripping.