Maksim

The new rocket launcher...

looks like it's either belted, or the pressure is stressing the case web.

Belted.. .300 winchester magnum. Unbelted .300 prc. 

Given the presentation, I'm going to guess .300 PRC. 

10 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Yeah but thats not a belted magnum in the pic, and 338 LM is off the table and the other calibers aint hitting at 2300. Given the non disclosure, it must not be a current offering of the rpr. 

Sure sounds like 7MM to me.  

Hornady offers .224, 6, 6.5, 7, .308 and .338 in ELD Match ammo (which is in the pic).  The RPR is chambered in its current config in all except .224 and 7.  I have a hard time seeing .224 reaching out 2300 - 1000, sure.  7MM can hit 2 miles.

It's boxed hornady ELD ammo. It's a long case. and bigger than 6.5 creedmore. 

That leaves 300 prc, 300 win mag, or 300 normal. 

I think that is a shiny mark due to pressure and not a belt, and I think the necks tapers too fast for norma, so I'm going with .300 PRC. 

Also .300 PRC is a recent introduction to the ELD match lineup of loaded ammo, so it wouldn't surprise me if they teamed up with other manufacturers to drop a turn key, off the shelf 2000 yard setup. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silverado427 said:

What magnification do you need to shoot with accuracy that far.

Depending on the size of target but 20 inch targets with a 25x was sufficient. 

Everything out to 750 was absolutely not a problem for 6 to 12 inch plates. 

8 hours ago, GunsnFreedom said:

I thought he meant it's a commercially available round (not a special round for that specific gun).  Maybe he's mistaken!

Currently available caliber commercially that you can buy ammo for.

6 hours ago, 10X said:

The Leupold line tops out at 25x, I believe, though the scope in the photo looks a bit like their Mark 5 3.5-18x

Scope was Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25.

at 2300 yards we were accounting for 30 mils drop from a 200 zero, on top of the 20 or so MOA rail iirc.

wind at that point was from all directions and changed every second, especially between canyons.  The shot that hit was 30 mils of dope on top of the rail and 10 mil wind adjustment. 

Round was perfectly shootable to 2,000. After that it goes back subsonic at around 2090 I believe... and why 2300 was so difficult.  I think it took about 20 rounds and a ton of time as barrel was getting hot...  problem is when you were close, needed to keep shooting S as a wind change at that distance varied by up to 5 to 8 mils.... so in full fairness.... there was a lot of educated guessing and luck. 

1,000 was almost a joke.... 1,200 to 1,600 was very doable, every shooter in my group... of 5 (4 media, 2 company reps) hit 1,800 and 2,000 without too much difficulty. 

An other media person in another group who is also a PRS shooter, believes she hit 2,500 but at that point the steel barely moves and there were no flashers on the target.... the spotter could not really see it. 

The targets between 1,600 and 2,000 had flashers that went off on a hit and you can still see marks. 

Major credit to instructors and th complete gun system. 

Stock gun fresh off production floor, a new from box scope, and factory match ammo.  Guns were not tuned, gone over by a gunsmith, etc.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1