Rob0115

S&W brining back 610

It's going to be an N frame and I look forward to getting one of these.  Wheel gun in my favorite cartridge how can you go wrong?  

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/03/smith-wesson-model-610-reintroduced-for-spring-2019/#axzz5jNsHMsQ8

41 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Good... maybe people will buy those instead of the older ones. ;)

I would like to get a 610, but it is going to be no-lock. And with current barrel design, think older is the way to go.

Not to derail this thread, but the newer guns are more accurate and better built.  Unless you are a collector then there is no point in buying an older one.

32 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Not to derail this thread, but the newer guns are more accurate and better built.  Unless you are a collector then there is no point in buying an older one.

MIM, I personally don’t have a problem with... as long as it is done right. Just an advancement in production evolution.

Internal lock, not exactly a fan... but I doubt anyone actually prefers them. But coming down to it, you put more parts into a design, more points of failure.

Firing pin in the frame is actually another improvement. Makes production easier, as well as changing out the hammer. Personally, I prefer the older design for sentimental reasons.

But I do have to ask for your source of info on how the two piece barrels are more accurate or are better built. Unless you mean better built because current S&W employees are less skilled in revolver production, and a two-piece barrel is easier for them to install “correctly,” I’m just not seeing it.

S&W has changed very much since revolvers were king. Do they produce garbage? I’d say for the most part... no. However, even going 10 years back, production revolvers were better built than today. That’s a tradesmen problem in the firearms community, and in a market where polymer pistols and ARs reign... what’s the percentage of people who will pay for that type of workforce?

9 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

The machining today is miles above those from years past.  Tighter tolerances, precise fitting and the latest in steal technology.   

Sure...

Fitted parts (to add, by people who knew what they were doing) verses ones that are machined to fit (put together by someone who is just assembling/making sure it goes click). What happens when you get two parts, both at the low end of the tolerance range?

And talking about S&W... Ruger is the one that steals (copies). Don’t know what technology they employ to do that, though. ;)

If you’d like to give some source of information that proves the revolvers now are better built/more accurate... I’m all for taking a look. But I can go on S&W’s website and read their advertising.

• Agree 1

The accuracy of the two piece barrel is a result of the actual barrel tube being held in tension within the shroud. This is/was more apparent with the Dan Wesson revolvers and the user changeable tube and shroud barrels and the reason why they were the preferred IHMSA revolver.

MIM parts need little to no machining and they hold tighter tolerances, thus less tolerance stack and less hand fitting needed.

I don't know why, in the mind of a lot of shooters, new = bad/cheap. New technology makes for better guns for less money.

Not a fan of the lock, but I've never let it stand in the way of me purchasing a gun I want. If they bug you that much they are easily removed and even the hole can be cosmetically hidden.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

The accuracy of the two piece barrel is a result of the actual barrel tube being held in tension within the shroud. This is/was more apparent with the Dan Wesson revolvers and the user changeable tube and shroud barrels and the reason why they were the preferred IHMSA revolver...

I don't know why, in the mind of a lot of shooters, new = bad/cheap. New technology makes for better guns for less money....

Welcome to the 21st century.

Yes, I’m aware of DW revolvers... I’d spend the extra for the DW (either before or after CZ), if I was actually looking specifically for one.

I base it on my best friend’s Bodyguard. He got a liking to my 642-1, and decided he wanted a similar revolver for off-duty carry. Got it... went out to try it out... patterned like a shotgun. I chalked it up to new gun... he carries a Glock, Kahr, and had a Kimber he never qualified with. Kept trying it, same results. Had to go back to S&W (factory warranty, but nobody can work on them except S&W). Said it was ok... still horrible accuracy.

Had him shoot mine, wasn’t perfect... but definitely close enough to qualify with it (not the shooter). I also shot it, would shoot one... high. Hold same spot, low left (leaning towards the gun). Brought it to the guy he bought it from... same accuracy issues (the gun), so he sent it back to S&W for the second time. Came back... store owner said was good this time. My friend put it up for sale that day and got into a P938 (and then the P365).

New doesn’t necessarily mean cheap or bad... but there are a multitude of reasons that it can be linked. Why did S&W do it... accuracy? Nope, because it is cheaper to build the revolver. Again... nothing wrong with that, until you consider the work force you are dealing with (across the board, not just S&W). I don’t usually try to short change a profession, but I’ve had my share of hacks work on my guns... and they think they are great gunsmiths because they build ARs or work on polymer pistols. There are very few people I trust with my firearms anymore.

The last line really cracked me up... especially in a revolver thread.

Just curious - are you talking about the polymer Bodyguard, or the real thing (49, 38, 638) - if the former, there's his problem right there. Plastic was meant for Tupperware, not guns. :rolleyes:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

On 3/28/2019 at 2:54 PM, Sniper said:

Doesn't all that salt make them corrode faster? :scratchhead:

Nah they’re good. I have one of the previous gen pre lock, 6” non-fluted cyl models.  I’ll get this in 4”.  Very excited to grab one. 

How do you guys think the Smith will compare to the Ruger Gp100 Match Champion in 10mm? The Smith has that classic look ,while the Ruger looks more like a modern interpretation. A 10mm wheel gun sounds tempting, I don't have a revolver or a 10mm. I might be able to knock out two birds with one stone...

3 hours ago, Mreal75 said:

How do you guys think the Smith will compare to the Ruger Gp100 Match Champion in 10mm? The Smith has that classic look ,while the Ruger looks more like a modern interpretation. A 10mm wheel gun sounds tempting, I don't have a revolver or a 10mm. I might be able to knock out two birds with one stone...

This is a great idea... will be reaching out to my people to get a copy of both. =)

I will say, personally, the big draw for me was not 10mm, but ability to shoot 40 S&W... and thus a nice gun for gun games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maksim said:

I will say, personally, the big draw for me was not 10mm, but ability to shoot 40 S&W... and thus a nice gun for gun games.

Ha! Great minds think alike - which is why I pretty much committed revolver heresey by purchasing this...

efkwf7.jpg

For a couple years I shot a Smith 646 in IDPA (that's a .40 S&W L-frame with a titanium cylinder). Ultimately decided to retire it as it has become pretty valuable. Shot my 625-8 PC instead.

When Ruger came out with the 10 mm Match Champion I decided to give it a try. It has the heft of the 625 and the moon clips from my 646 are supposed to work with it (they do fit, but I haven't shot it yet). I am also going to try Federal's new SynTech ammo in .40 S&W with the coated 205 gr bullet.

There are some upgrades on my new MC - most obvious is the Hogue Tamer Grip - this is patterned after the grip they make for the X-frame Smith and is the grip I use on my 646, my 625, and my 586 Brazil. Internally I have gone with a 10# main spring and an 8# rebound spring. The charge holes have all been chamfered - I know this is done at the factory - but that is just a start, I've had them opened up slightly more. And last, but far from least, is the replacement of the stock rear sight with a Bowen Rough Country sight. Better sight picture, all steel and very rugged with adjustments that are "locked down".

I'll be sighting it in next week or the week after - I have some mods to perform on a long gun (waiting for parts) and only want to make one range trip. Hope to be able to try the MC at Lower Providence IDPA the end of the month.

I think Smith was pressured into reintroducing the 610 by Ruger's move to chamber the RH, the BH and the GP100 in that caliber. This is the third time that S&W has "introduced" the 610.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Ha! Great minds think alike - which is why I pretty much committed revolver heresey by purchasing this...

efkwf7.jpgI think Smith was pressured into reintroducing the 610 by Ruger's move to chamber the RH, the BH and the GP100 in that caliber. This is the third time that S&W has "introduced" the 610.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

How many rounds?

30 minutes ago, Bully said:

Thanks

what division will that fit?

In IDPA it is simply the Revolver Division (all revolvers limited to six rounds), but the ESR sub-division, meaning that it has to make major power factor (155 in this case) and can be (really must be) loaded with moon clips.

In USPSA it would shoot in Revolver - Major (165 in this case) and be limited to six rounds.

ICORE would be Limited Six and make a PF of 120

On 4/12/2019 at 7:26 PM, Mreal75 said:

This thread is bad news...didn't think I needed a 10mm revolver but its quickly moved to the top of the list. Thanks everyone for the insights! 

Of COURSE you need a 10mm revolver.  There’s two types of people those that need a 10mm revolver and those that have yet to realize they need a 10mm revolver.  Oh actually three types of people cause there’s Ray.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2