Had to deal with an issue in the yard last night, and my go-to headlamp was not working with fresh batteries, so had to use a handheld light, making things more difficult.

Took a look at the headlamp after, the rubber coating around the wires has deteriorated and shows the individual wires inside, so they can flex more and come loose. It works sometimes, but since I can't get inside to fix it, it is time for a good one. This one lasted at least 12 years, so can't complain.

What I want in a new one: needs to have a high setting of at least 200 lumens from a single emitter, a low setting, and could run off (pick one) AA, CR123, 17670, or 18650. Ideally has a single button thats easy to find.

I have done zero research yet, pretty sure olight makes one, and I have at least 6 of their lights, so assuming it meets my specs, thats high on my list. Any other ones I should look at, and/or am I crazy for considering $40+ models with cheap models out there?

If your light is 12 years old and still using an incandescent bulb, I'd upgrade just to get an LED and the great battery life they offer.

I've been using cheap Walmart headlamps for years, generally with good success, though I had a Coleman model a couple of years ago that was junk.   I've got one of their store-brand camping equipment models now, which is holding up ok; spot, flood, and combo modes, with two buttons.  I do sometimes miss having a red light option.

I don't doubt that I'd like a high-end headlight even more, but have never bothered to go looking for one.

There are literally tons that will GREATLY exceed your needs. 

I'd go for simplicity and either ubiquitous batteries or maximum power. 

For example this sucker keeps it simple. No wires. 18650. 1800 lumens. 

https://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-hc33-headlamp.html

The ArmyTek tiara is like 500 lumens off a aa. 

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

Had to deal with an issue in the yard last night, and my go-to headlamp was not working with fresh batteries, so had to use a handheld light, making things more difficult.

Took a look at the headlamp after, the rubber coating around the wires has deteriorated and shows the individual wires inside, so they can flex more and come loose. It works sometimes, but since I can't get inside to fix it, it is time for a good one. This one lasted at least 12 years, so can't complain.

What I want in a new one: needs to have a high setting of at least 200 lumens from a single emitter, a low setting, and could run off (pick one) AA, CR123, 17670, or 18650. Ideally has a single button thats easy to find.

I have done zero research yet, pretty sure olight makes one, and I have at least 6 of their lights, so assuming it meets my specs, thats high on my list. Any other ones I should look at, and/or am I crazy for considering $40+ models with cheap models out there?

AT HOME i use a sabre. it's 250lumen. rechargeable. i like it a lot. it is a flood beam only though.  at the shop, i use a LED lenser. dunno the lumens, but it's bright for working around engine bays. i took one home with me last night and was using it in the yard, and it was plenty bright too. it can focus to a beam or go flood. it also is rechargeable. i like them rechargeable.

also, both of those i mentioned are over 100 bucks....but in my mind more than worth the cost.

As an experienced user of headlamps, I use a ton.  I use a couple O-lights.  They have an adjustable lumens so won't blind myself in a crawl space but if I need to light up a room I can max it out. 

I was a early adopter of LED flashlights, same for headlamps. I have some multiple 1/10th watt based ones which are fine for closeup stuff, and the one that I tried to use was a 1W LED, probably 80 lumen, with 3x 1/10th watt and some red LEDs too. All are 12-15+ years old, and while I don't use em often, they do/did work well enough. I just want something much more inline with what I use on my EDC flashlights.

I have a bunch of rechargable CR123, 17670, and 18650 batteries, so ideally I would prefer a light using those.  AA works too, though after using lithiums, dunno I would downgrade if I can avoid it.

I did manage to force the broken one open and seemingly repair it. I dunno how long it will last, amazing how crappy the wiring is on this thing...

Thanks for the feedback, I always welcome more input. Will be a few days before I get one.

27 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I use the streamlight HL headlamp for hunting. i love the fact its a single unit, no wires and has great usable settings for low and high output.. it takes CR123. I've been using and abusing it for 4 years now. 

I haven't tried their headlights.....but I have multiple stinger handheld flashlights. I use those at work also, have one in each truck, and one at home. one of the ones at work is about 10 years old, but I've stopped using it much as it is so out of date that comparing that old stinger to the 3 year old stinger is like comparing a shitty led to a incandescent flashlight. 

I also have a streamlight strion that I use for edc. I carry it in a holster. you just can't go wrong with a streamlight. 

• Like 1

Looking at getting a new headlamp.  I had a Feit that I picked up from Costco a few years ago.  it was great for walking the dog and I also used it for hunting.  Doesn't look like they make it anymore.  Was a GREAT deal at Costo when they had it.  $30 or $40 for a two pack.  Unfortunately one them didn't work out of the package.  The one that did work lasted for several years.  That one still works but the head band has gotten stretched out from repeated everyday use and part of the clip what moved light up and down broke.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Feit-Rechargeable-LED-Headlamp-2-pack/163409923

I literally just stumbled across this light while trying to find a good healamp.  It's much more expensive but the run times are SICK.  It was made for backcountry hunters who will out in the field for seveal days.  It's $90 but considering I've probably spent close to that purcashing several cheaper headlights over the llast several years or so (until I purchased the Feit) then it could be worth it if it holds up.  It's out of stock right now.  But you can sign up for the "Notify me when back in stock" option.

https://www.blackovis.com/peax-backcountry-duo-headlamp

My wife picke up a cheapo one so I can have a headlamp while walking the dog.  It was like $15 or $20 and will probably work for now.  But it doesn't have a red light feature and it's not very bright at all.  But for walking the dog it will do for now.  Will keep looking and let you know if find anything.  I did REALLY like the Feit one.  

Look over the headlamps from Petzl and Black Diamond. Have both and used them in some pretty bad conditions, no complaints, good price, performed exactly like their supposed to and batteries last forever. 

I've found that anywhere between 300-500 lumens to be the sweet spot for navigating in the dark.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to pick up the Olight Array 2S headlamp.  The red light has three different brighntess settings.  40, 100 & then 200 lumens with run times of 15, 8.5 & 5.5 hours. This would be great for walking out to the hunting blind as red light doesn't spook animals.

The regular white light settings go from a low of 30 lumens and all the way up to 1,000 lumens.  

You can charge it with a C type USB cord.

https://www.olightstore.com/array-2s-headlamp.html

16 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I think I'm going to pick up the Olight Array 2S headlamp.  The red light has three different brighntess settings.  40, 100 & then 200 lumens with run times of 15, 8.5 & 5.5 hours. This would be great for walking out to the hunting blind as red light doesn't spook animals.

The regular white light settings go from a low of 30 lumens and all the way up to 1,000 lumens.  

You can charge it with a C type USB cord.

https://www.olightstore.com/array-2s-headlamp.html

I don’t know if I’d put a light on my head built by a company known for having their products burst into flames :rofl:

Just sayin….

I’m a fan of the Petzl Tikka line. ~$20-$30, comfortable, and can use recharge batteries or AAAs.

Been using Petzl headlamps since the mid 90s when I was climbing a lot. They’ve been great.

You don’t want more than 200-300 lumens on your head. A headlamp is the only time you don’t want “All the Lumens, all the time.” You end up constantly shining it in people eyes, and by the nature of where you are wearing it, any reflective surfaces bounce all the Lumens right back in your face.

If you want more than a couple hundred lumens, use a handheld that you can angle and aim to prevent too-bright light bouncing back into your own eyes.

41 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I don’t know if I’d put a light on my head built by a company known for having their products burst into flames :rofl:

Just sayin….

I’m a fan of the Petzl Tikka line. ~$20-$30, comfortable, and can use recharge batteries or AAAs.

Been using Petzl headlamps since the mid 90s when I was climbing a lot. They’ve been great.

You don’t want more than 200-300 lumens on your head. A headlamp is the only time you don’t want “All the Lumens, all the time.” You end up constantly shining it in people eyes, and by the nature of where you are wearing it, any reflective surfaces bounce all the Lumens right back in your face.

If you want more than a couple hundred lumens, use a handheld that you can angle and aim to prevent too-bright light bouncing back into your own eyes.

Petzl Tikka doesn't have a read light.  Some of their other lines do BUT their red light seems to be only 2 lumen.  I would MUCH rather have 40,100 or 200 lumens of red light than 2 lumens when walking  around over uneven terrain.  

Don't need to worry about shining the light in anyones face because I walk out to the hunting blind by myself.  And red light doesn't blind you like a white light would.  And as mentioned, there woudn't be anyone else around.

I also like rechargeable batteries / lights.  Tikka does have a a recharable "Core" battery that is $30.  The most affordable Petzl I saw with a red light, that again is only 2 lumen, was $30 without the Core rechargable battery.  So you are looking at $60 for Petzl with a not very bright red light and a recharable battery.  Which is the same price the Olight Array 2S will be going on for sale for very soon.

One thing I don't like about he Olight is that you can't replace the battery once it dies.  There are some other lights that have 13 lumen red lights which may be sufficient.  Still doing some research and watching reviews on Youtube.  But that Peax Backcountry Duo I linked earlier is looking more and more insteresting.  Yes it's more than i would like to spend on a headlamp but the battery is replacable and the red light bright enough.

Also, sorry for the thread drift....I know the OP wasn't looking for a headlamp WITH a red light and I kind of went off on a tangent.  I happen to be looking for a new headlamp but with a red light.  And found this thread......

This seems to be essentially the same thing as the $90 one I linked earlier but for less than $30!  

Hit's everything I'm looking for.  Bright red light for hunting.  Bright white light.  Replacable rechargable battery.  Only down side is it uses a micro USB cord to charge.  Guess that means slower charging?

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Headlamp-77outdoor-Lightweight-Flashlight/dp/B09MFBYN2C/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2KS0JIT1P308E&keywords=sofirn+d25lr&qid=1663464679&s=hi&sprefix=sofirn+d25lr%2Ctools%2C82&sr=1-1#customerReviews

You can order direclty from the company as well for only $23 but it ships from China and you will probably pay more for shipping & handling and wait longer for it than it you pay the extra few dollars and order it from Amazon.

https://www.sofirnlight.com/products/d25lr-rechargeable-headlamp-with-lh351d-5000k-white-led-and-sst20-dr-660-nm-red-led-micro-usb-charging-port?variant=5a979fe9-1f95-4999-a4ac-96bb80294bd8

Most unwanted critters, on four or two legs, generally scurry away once a light gets pointed in their direction.

I see the logic in Mr. Stu's comment but I don't think the original intent of this thread was looking for a weapon light.

The last headl amp I linked, and ultimately purchased, turns on to the last setting.  I have mine set to "medium".  When I turn it on that's the strenght it is on.  It would then cyle high, to low and back to medium.

I've used the new headlamp for about three weeks now almost every evening.  I like it.  The red light can be quite bright (for a red light).  It will be great for hunting.

I wouldn't use it for a weapon light but it is a very good headlamp (so far) for general life (walking the dog, home / auto repairs, etc).  I may purchase a few more for gifts or to give to my kids to keep in their night stand after I test it a little longer.  

I have WMLs on the HD guns, so this was not about HD.  I'm considering a TLR7 or something a bit narrower than the TLR1S I have currently on my bedside gun for the everyday carry pistol, which would be helpful for those kind of situations . I have a flashlight on me at pretty much all times, and so, so many flashlights stashed around at least the house. I wanted the ability to have a decent light without the need to tie up one hand holding the light.

For the headlamp, I did end up with an olight H2R, which has performed exceptionally well for sometimes hours of nonstop use. It has been quite comfortable, despite being aluminum and holding an 18650, i honestly hardly notice it is there. The beam is very wide and quite uniform, and while it doesn't throw like a traditional light, it is more than enough to illuminate 25-75+ft (depending on brightness) across 45+° and identify any hazards. I tend to use it on the lower 2 settings, but high and turbo are there for if I need a lot of light.