david8613

Recommended light laser combo?

10 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Why a laser?

You’d be better served with a light and buying ammo to practice with the money you would have spent on the laser.

As for light - Surefire X300U is my choice.

+1 don't see much point in a laser. If I was going to have any kind of assist that would simplify aiming on a pistol, it would be a red dot. That being said, at practical pistol distances, irons (vision being a factor) are damn adequate. I am partial to blacked out rears with a high vis front of some type.

19 minutes ago, david8613 said:

As for the laser I figured why not, they are so small now a days and they are kind of cool. 

Plus. they tell you where you're aiming, if you can't get over the sights, but don't mention lasers here, it's weapon lights or nothing. Lasers are taboo with this group.

• Disagree 2

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

I A laser will not make you a better shooter. But, they are kinda bling.   To each his own.

I disagree. For what ever reason I can't use iron sights. Just can't seem to focus. ADD maybe. But I added a laser to my 1911 and it helped my shooting buy at least 50% as I can look strictly at the target. I have a red dot on my Beretta 92 which I kinda like better.  But I'm just a hole puncher with a pistol. Home defense is my 12ga.

The other thing I like about a laser is if you're a bad guy with bad intentions and there's a red dot on your chest, you're pretty sure that's where you're gonna start leaking if the guy pointing it sends lead your way. Good time to change your mind about what you were gonna do. 

13 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

I disagree. For what ever reason I can't use iron sights. Just can't seem to focus. ADD maybe. But I added a laser to my 1911 and it helped my shooting buy at least 50% as I can look strictly at the target. I have a red dot on my Beretta 92 which I kinda like better.  But I'm just a hole puncher with a pistol. Home defense is my 12ga.

The other thing I like about a laser is if you're a bad guy with bad intentions and there's a red dot on your chest, you're pretty sure that's where you're gonna start leaking if the guy pointing it sends lead your way. Good time to change your mind about what you were gonna do. 

Please stop with all this logic and common sense, or your post will get a RED slash too.

13 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

This is the same type of logic as trying to scare away an intruder with the sound of racking a shotgun.  You can control someone pretty damn well with a bright ass light pointed at their face, and then they also can't see you.

To the OP, does this need to be holster compatible?  Is there a possibility that it will need to be holster compatible in the future?  Although they're becoming more popular, light bearing holsters are still hard to find in certain combinations.  If the possibility exists, take that into consideration.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, vjf915 said:

This is the same type of logic as trying to scare away an intruder with the sound of racking a shotgun.  You can control someone pretty damn well with a bright ass light pointed at their face, and then they also can't see you.

Maybe not.

Seeing a bright light coming down the hallway doesn't tell the bad guy anything. It could be a weapon light attached to a firearm or it could be a handheld flashlight. He has no way of knowing, but he certainly knows you're coming.

Seeing a red dot from a laser bouncing off the walls and ending up on his chest tells him only one thing. But, that red dot isn't there to scare him away, it's there to help shot placement under duress. Although, we have some experts here that don't need help with shot placement when woken up at 2 AM because, well, they're experts.

• Disagree 1

A laser will not help shot placement under duress. Just because your laser is on something, doesn’t mean your bullet will hit it.

You realize that most POA/POI discrepancies have nothing to do with sight and sight pictures and everything to do with grip, trigger, and anticipation problems. 

You will have the same issues with a laser as you will with iron sights because the laser does nothing to help with the primary reasons for missing your target.. If you would have hit 3” low with irons, you will hit 3” low with your laser. The laser doesn’t clean up your trigger press, or fix your grip, or prevent anticipation.

On the other hand, the light will let you identify and choose an appropriate area to target and will help with “Aim small, Miss small” conditions.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

You have a vision issue or psychological issue?

Im pretty sure the laser on the chest or forehead only works in Hollywood. The laser on the walls is fun for fluffy kitty cats.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

You have a vision issue or psychological issue?

Im pretty sure the laser on the chest or forehead only works in Hollywood. The laser on the walls is fun for fluffy kitty cats.

Not anymore and more then likely yes.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Absolutely, everyone carries laser pointers at 2 AM so they can play with their cats.

dot.jpg

Here, kitty, kitty....

My point was one could apply your same reasoning about a bright light to a laser. An intruder would not know if you had a laser pointer or a weapon mounted laser. 

Personally,  I would not want to rely on anything to scare an intruder away besides muzzel flash. 

• Agree 2

If you are dead on a laser... TLR-2 or TLR-8.

But I’ll recommend TLR-1 or TLR-7. The important part of both is the same. The first group cost more, and they put a laser on it for some odd reason.

If OP is using the laser strictly for actual shooting, I’m against it. A lot was gone over already, so not going to restate the same. However, if he was going to use it for dry-fire practice... I’d be ok with it (I do confirm zero from time to time... just in case I’d ever have to use it). Hell, I pulled the laser/light module out of my P938 TLR-6 for one that was light only.

Been up in Maine for the past two days, and the gun (S&W 642-1) I’ve been carrying does have a laser on it. Just took it off in the hotel room, and noticed the switch for the laser is still on. Didn’t remember turning it on since I pulled it out of the state... so likely from the last dry fire practice. If you can use the gun well, and not need to worry about the laser being on, I’d support your decision to buy one. If not, don’t buy it... as you’ll likely use it as a crutch and not train to get better. Sorry to be blunt with it, but just keeping it real... is that still cool to say?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Personally,  I would not want to rely on anything to scare an intruder away besides muzzel flash. 

In the end result, that's the point. You'd want that muzzle flash to end the advance of the bad guy in the least amount of shots.

We are all adults here, and hopefully can decide which is a better choice in our individual situations. The decision to go with a weapon light or laser is a personal choice. Below is a good example of both, everyone can decide which will help them get on target in a low light condition:

laser.jpg