vladtepes

Bullet Frag Stuck in Face...

To start the story accurately.. the fragment was mostly jacket.. and it was small.. 

was at the range today and everyone was being safe.. couple guys next to me shooting a shooting tree.. and I was teaching a new shooter to shoot and there were lots of shots.. and with one of those shots I felt a puncture to my upper lip nose area.. so I stopped the new shooter and asked him if I was bleeding.. he had the best answer ever.. "no but there is metal in your face.. hold on I will get it" LOL so he pulls out the fragment and then says "yes.. you are bleeding now" LOL 

I grabbed the med kit and was able to clean it up without much trouble and the people shooting the tree felt awful.. but like I said it was an accident.. no big deal.. 

just really reinforces to wear eye protection.. and to have a med kit with you.. shit happens.. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Glad your ok.  How close was the tree.

probably about 15 yards if I had to guess.. I have shot steel tons of time.. and while I did not pace it off.. I didn't feel like it was an unreasonable distance.. they were shooting pistols.. 

I've never been hit in the face.  Several times in arms, legs, and stomach by pieces of jacket material coming back off steel target frames.  Break skin but nothing serious. This has happened as far back as the 25 yard line.

Got in the leg once by an entire bullet at a pin match.  I was about 35 yards away.  No damage.  Bullet didn't even penetrate my pants.

Wear eye protection even if you're observing.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I've never been hit in the face.  Several times in arms, legs, and stomach by pieces of jacket material coming back off steel target frames.  This has happened as far back as the 25 yard line.

I've been hit as well but never had anything break skin or anything like that.. this was unusual.. 

A similar incident occured at an OBRPC steel match several years back.  I think the jacket fragment came from another pit but had enough energy to pierce the skin on the side of a shooters nose.  Same results no blood until pulled out then simple first aid.  Shooter finished match.   

But was a very graphic lesson as to why glasses need to be worn.

Wait, he pulled it out before taking a pic? What the hell man! 

I was setting up to shoot at the .22 range at EFGA a few years ago and a guy was teaching his young daughter to shoot. She got hit with a piece of bullet and it made a very small cut on her cheak. 

• Haha 1