vladtepes

Titanium Gas Block Installed

So my gas block on my SBR started leaking around the seal.. and was really confused by this since I have never had a gas block fail.. long story short I ordered a titanium replacement.. and when I went to remove the old one it wouldn't budge.. since I had no intentions of reusing it I gave it a good whack with a screwdriver and hammer which went right through it.. surprise its aluminum.. this was a take off from an upper from a long time ago.. and I never really gave any thought to how light it was.. 

gas block was trashed you could see on the inside of it where the gas was escaping.. 

with how bad it was eroded.. I would never willingly opt for aluminum.. 

new titanium block...

56161507_2446769302000325_25227226140953

1 hour ago, vjf915 said:

No pics of the trashed aluminum block?

negative.. but just imagine if you were looking at the inside of a gas block and you could see hot gas scorching marks on the side of the walls.. IF the block had held up to the heat.. or had been made well.. those marks would never happen because they gas would have not made it out of the block.. I think that as the block wore over time more and more gas would escape which actually cause the block to wear more and more on the sides.. now we are not talking full scale beach erosion during a hurricane obviously... we are just talking fractions of a millimeter.. but when you expose that to high velocity high heat gas.. and direct that at your support hand.. its annoying to say the least.. hopefully the titanium one holds up better.. 

32 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Looks like the 2A Armament Ultra-Lite Low Profile Titanium Gas Block - .750 - Set Screw Style

yes that is exactly what it is.. from what I can tell it is made well.. but proof will come from shooting.. 

The only reason I knew is it looked familiar, Primary Arms had them on sale a couple years ago for $53, I snatched one for a budget build.  I don’t think you have to worry about than one failing, it would probably outlast a fresh barrel.  

Off topic but I remember when I first joined here you did the S233 & Mag adapter build. I followed your lead shortly after. I use to enjoy your Saiga postings…

4 minutes ago, FXDX said:

The only reason I knew is it looked familiar, Primary Arms had them on sale a couple years ago for $53, I snatched one for a budget build.  I don’t think you have to worry about than one failing, it would probably outlast a fresh barrel.  

Off topic but I remember when I first joined here you did the S233 & Mag adapter build. I followed your lead shortly after. I use to enjoy your Saiga postings…

thank you I appreciate that.. that was probably one of my favorite Saiga builds... if I had kept one that would have been the one.. 

EDIT: my OCD is making me nuts.. I should have left that gas block and FSB black.. lol 

msaak.jpg