Maksim

1,400 Yards for $1,000 - Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target 6.5 PRC

Some of you were aware or may have caught my post discussing some long range guns.

Early last week I had the pleasure of being flown out to the middle of nowhere in Texas, to the FTW Ranch, to shoot some upcoming rifles in a joint event with Ruger, Leupold and Hornady. 

Most of the guns I have shot are not yet released and cannot talk about them, but one of them, I can.  It is the Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5 PRC.  The gun was released at Shot Show, earlier this year and is now available in 300 Win Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC.  

The event was really a 3 day shooting class where we used the new firearms.  They were brand new, and in a few cases prototypes.  They were production guns, not messed with and were straight out of the boxes.  We shot the guns at ranges from 250 to 2,300 yards with Hornady match ammo.  The optics were Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25 scopes.

Working on the full video but here is a teaser of me shooting it at 1,200 and 1,400 yards.  1st shot hit on 1,200, took 2 on 1,400.  Unfortunately did not hit at 1,600 as the round was no longer supersonic and the winds were hell.

I was just blown away personally, that a gun with a $1,279 MSRP and a $1,000 or so street price was good enough to maintain sub MOA at those distances.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Maksim said:

Some of you were aware or may have caught my post discussing some long range guns.

Early last week I had the pleasure of being flown out to the middle of nowhere in Texas, to the FTW Ranch, to shoot some upcoming rifles in a joint event with Ruger, Leupold and Hornady. 

Most of the guns I have shot are not yet released and cannot talk about them, but one of them, I can.  It is the Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5 PRC.  The gun was released at Shot Show, earlier this year and is now available in 300 Win Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC.  

The event was really a 3 day shooting class where we used the new firearms.  They were brand new, and in a few cases prototypes.  They were production guns, not messed with and were straight out of the boxes.  We shot the guns at ranges from 250 to 2,300 yards with Hornady match ammo.  The optics were Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25 scopes.

Working on the full video but here is a teaser of me shooting it at 1,200 and 1,400 yards.  1st shot hit on 1,200, took 2 on 1,400.  Unfortunately did not hit at 1,600 as the round was no longer supersonic and the winds were hell.

I was just blown away personally, that a gun with a $1,279 MSRP and a $1,000 or so street price was good enough to maintain sub MOA at those distances.

How big were the targets?  

IMHO, not that it really means all that much, it's more the ammo than the rifle.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that they are solid guns.  And I'm not trying to play down the fact that the precision rifle segment has gotten so very awesome in the past 3 years.  However, 6.5 ballistics are almost like cheating, especially in the PRC case.  

I also don't understand why Ruger continues with the CRF?  In a hunting gun, it makes a ton of sense.  In a precision gun, not so much.  
Why...?
(for those that DON'T actually worry about this insane minutiae)Because in a hunting situation, the rifle may have to be used in an awkward position or may get dropped in the act of loading a round in the chamber for an initial or follow up shot.  In a precision situation, you'll most likely be pretty stable.  Also, CRF (Controlled Round Feed) normally does not allow one to load on the feedlips of the magazine.  The extractor is not designed to "snap" over the rim of the case.  So the box has to be pulled, round inserted, then load/fire.  On a push feed, single rounds can be, essentially, thrown in to the action.  The bolt is closed and the extractor pops over the case rim.  In a hasty "I need to put another round down range" situation, push feed is a good bit handier.  I've owned both Rugers with CRF and push feed actions.  In my particular "game" which is FT/R, push feed gets the nod.  
At least Ruger finally got rid of the proprietary rings that did not allow enough elevation.  One small step for Ruger....  One giant leap for the shooting sports!!!:icon_e_biggrin: 

Robert Vestals has documentation of shooting a 6.5x47Lapua to a mile.  I believe he was shooting the 140Hybrid.  Thats a big bullet in a little case moving really well.  Shooter was a 15 or 16 years old or somesuch.  

2 hours ago, Bully said:

How big were the targets?  

IMHO, not that it really means all that much, it's more the ammo than the rifle.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that they are solid guns.  And I'm not trying to play down the fact that the precision rifle segment has gotten so very awesome in the past 3 years.  However, 6.5 ballistics are almost like cheating, especially in the PRC case.  

I also don't understand why Ruger continues with the CRF?  In a hunting gun, it makes a ton of sense.  In a precision gun, not so much.  
Why...?
(for those that DON'T actually worry about this insane minutiae)Because in a hunting situation, the rifle may have to be used in an awkward position or may get dropped in the act of loading a round in the chamber for an initial or follow up shot.  In a precision situation, you'll most likely be pretty stable.  Also, CRF (Controlled Round Feed) normally does not allow one to load on the feedlips of the magazine.  The extractor is not designed to "snap" over the rim of the case.  So the box has to be pulled, round inserted, then load/fire.  On a push feed, single rounds can be, essentially, thrown in to the action.  The bolt is closed and the extractor pops over the case rim.  In a hasty "I need to put another round down range" situation, push feed is a good bit handier.  I've owned both Rugers with CRF and push feed actions.  In my particular "game" which is FT/R, push feed gets the nod.  
At least Ruger finally got rid of the proprietary rings that did not allow enough elevation.  One small step for Ruger....  One giant leap for the shooting sports!!!:icon_e_biggrin: 

Robert Vestals has documentation of shooting a 6.5x47Lapua to a mile.  I believe he was shooting the 140Hybrid.  Thats a big bullet in a little case moving really well.  Shooter was a 15 or 16 years old or somesuch.  

Thanks.

Up to 700 yards, the targets were generally 3" to 9" steel plates.  Past that , there were 1 and 2 MOA plates generally.

The topic of controlled vs push feed was actually brought up.  Personally, I liked the controlled feed guns, just felt better per say and I had no issues feeding in single rounds. 

Keep in mind that the Hawkeye is a mid range gun, between the lower end Ruger American and the purpose built Ruger Precision (which is push feed).  

Personally, I shot better with the Hawkeye target than the Ruger Precision equivalent.  I just found the stock to be more comfortable and the trigger better for me.

Interestingly though, Leupold provided some very tall rings which made the cheek hold a bit uncomfortable for guys with smaller faces such as myself so the gun rested a tad lower near my chin.

Personally, I hit 1,400 with the gun but there were a few guys who were able to get the 1,600.  The winds were brutal at that point and we were shooting through valleys with varying winds, etc.  I have no doubt with some patience, would be able to do an 1,800 and hit at a mile with the round.

As far as ammo vs gun... I would say they were both important.  Hornady came out with some really good high BC bullets and the guns were able to hold sub MOA to those distances... stock, out of the box... that to me is quite impressive.

Really, what the platform provides is that a non-reloader can go out and buy ammo and a gun, and be able to have the tools to hit 1,000+.

You could not really say that with 308 as SAAMI specs kept manufacturers from loading the bullets right up from the grooves, much looser chambers, etc.  

So yes, you CAN get a 308 to shoot like that, but it will generally require handloads TO YOUR rifle, etc.

Once you get the velocity you can factor in for the drop.... that is gravity.  The new projectiles are making it A LOT easier with the wind though.... so yeah... I think it's both.

1 hour ago, CageFighter said:

what do u think of the Leupold Mk5 HD scope?  I was thinking about putting one on the 20S. 

Thanks,

In a word, fairly impressed.  I think in that $2,500 range, it is a very good value. (and that means a lot coming from me considering I generally thought of Leupold as overpriced).

I do have a video on the scope that I will put together soon.

The good... great weight as it is not too heavy while still feeling robust.  The turret is really interesting with the detent that moves out and in to let you know where on the dial you are.  Glass was terrific... perhaps too good as you can barely see the mirage to call wind. Had to adjust back the paralex to see it.  With the paralex set, extremely crisp.

I am also a fan of the lever built into the adjustment ring to quickly adjust magnification without taking eyes off of the scope. 

The low light quality was good too and allowed us to shoot at break of light to right before sunset.

All US made although glass components may come from overseas.  This is a higher volume scope so you get really good value.  Yes, the Mark 6 and 8 are more expensive, but they are not 50% better (straight from Leupold).

What I did not like is the reticle we were shooting.  We had the regular Mil dot reticle.  Generally it is fine if you are used to dialing in adjustments, but if you are using holdovers, because there is no christmas tree in the reticle, it made it more difficult to use with hold overs.  I.e if you are just holding over for the drop... or just wind, no issues as it is on the x or y axis.  The problem is when you are holding over say 3 mils of wind and 2.5 mils of drop.... and you are guessing where that is in the open space in the reticle.  Makes sense?

So If I was buying one, I would get the H-59 or Tremor 3 reticle.  (again, personal choice though.)

Any specific question on the scope?

I am hoping to have one in to demo soon.

26 minutes ago, Maksim said:

The topic of controlled vs push feed was actually brought up.  Personally, I liked the controlled feed guns, just felt better per say and I had no issues feeding in single rounds. 

I wonder if they have tweaked the extractor.  If they did, good for them.  

I had a Hawkeye Precision from a previous gen.  Great gun.  Awesome trigger.  Long gone as at that time aftermarket was non-existent.  Glad you had a good time with it.

40 minutes ago, Maksim said:

So If I was buying one, I would get the H-59 or Tremor 3 reticle.  (again, personal choice though.)

Any specific question on the scope?

I am hoping to have one in to demo soon.

If you get a demo, i hope u get the H59 or T3. tell them to send u the 3-18 version along side the 5-25!   

14 minutes ago, CageFighter said:

If you get a demo, i hope u get the H59 or T3. tell them to send u the 3-18 version along side the 5-25!   

So the 3-18 was at the event, but I did not spend a lot of time behind it.

What's the question? 

Several. If you get a chance to look through one, swing it to a wooded area with vegetation and tell me what you see. Also the ret makes it harder to spot trace and splash. Easier to get lost in the ret. And iirc if you do dial, it throws off wind offsets. It's too much like a bdc ret. In the end does it do anything better than other reticles? I dont think it does. You will find those proclaiming its superiority. I dont see it. Others that I trust, who have actual shooting credentials a mile wide dont either.