oldsoul25

400+ Yard Ranges

I'm a member at Cherry Ridge  and as we all know the max distance they have is 300 yards. I'm headed to Wyoming for an elk hunt in September and it would be great to have some time in at 400 and 400 yards. Does anyone know if one in a nearby State? 

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, oldsoul25 said:

I'm a member at Cherry Ridge  and as we all know the max distance they have is 300 yards. I'm headed to Wyoming for an elk hunt in September and it would be great to have some time in at 400 and 400 yards. Does anyone know if one in a nearby State? 

Thanks in advance.

If you are in North Jersey... I would talk with Griffin and Howe, they have their own range IIRC and do long range.

Otherwise, if you go west to PA... New Holland Rod & Gun Club.

You do have two long ranges in South Jersey... Cumberland and South Jersey Shooting Club.

Both do public high power matches...

1 hour ago, jm1827 said:

As mentioned above, Griffin and Howe has a range out to 900 yards, up in North Jersey.

Unless I missed it, they only do instruction:

Rifle Marksmanship Rates

2-Hour Instruction essons$400

3-Hour Instruction Lessons$575

4-Hour Instruction Lessons$750
(w/ G&H Range Bag &  Notebook)

Full-Day Instruction Lessons$1,500

Lesson Packages

10 Hours Lessons$1,800
($180/hr) Firearm Rental $30.00

Doesn't look like they offer range time.

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

Unless I missed it, they only do instruction:

Rifle Marksmanship Rates

2-Hour Instruction essons$400

3-Hour Instruction Lessons$575

4-Hour Instruction Lessons$750

Full-Day Instruction Lessons$1,500

Lesson Packages

10 Hours Lessons$1,800
($180/hr) Firearm Rental $30.00

Doesn't look like they offer range time.

I would reach out to them and ask... It may still be worth taking a 2 hour class on long range shooting if you are going out west and especially if you have not done so in the past. 

25 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I would reach out to them and ask... It may still be worth taking a 2 hour class on long range shooting if you are going out west and especially if you have not done so in the past. 

When I was thinking of getting a muzzle break my thoughts were to have them do the work if they'd let me make sure the POI hadn't changed afterwards and shoot for awhile but the recoil isn't bad (300 weatherby mag) with the pachmyr decelerator pad. Depending on how long they let me shoot it may be cheaper to get the muzzle break, screw it off and screw the cap on instead of paying for an hour or two of range time.

3 hours ago, oldsoul25 said:

When I was thinking of getting a muzzle break my thoughts were to have them do the work if they'd let me make sure the POI hadn't changed afterwards and shoot for awhile but the recoil isn't bad (300 weatherby mag) with the pachmyr decelerator pad. Depending on how long they let me shoot it may be cheaper to get the muzzle break, screw it off and screw the cap on instead of paying for an hour or two of range time.

Realistically if you are going hunting, you are likely only going to fire 5 or so rounds when you get there to verify scope's zero after travel... and then 1 or 2 shots during the hunt.  so recoil should not be an issue.  

You should ask them anyway.

In either case, if you just want to verify zero, go to any of the 300 yard ranges... If your 100 yard zero holds at 300, shooting at 400 or 500 is not much different.  In either case, pretty much irresponsible to hunt past those distances anyway (Although the 300 weatherby should still be packing a punch closer to 1,000). 

When is the trip?

1 hour ago, jm1827 said:

Not exactly sure, but I hear it is pretty expensive...

I don't believe there are actual memberships there... just for classes.

53 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

Sheepdog warrior. Catskill, ny. Goes to 1000y. Public hourly rate. Eddy is the owner. Good guy. 

Will check it out. thanks! Any idea on rate?

55 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

Sheepdog warrior. Catskill, ny. Goes to 1000y. Public hourly rate. Eddy is the owner. Good guy. 

Wow, the rates are kinda crazy!  To give a for instance, we are looking at the range in PA, the 1200 yard one and it would come out to about $50 per person for the full day.... no memberships, etc. 

One thing to keep in mind... when going to a long distance range, it is AT LEAST a 3 or 4 hour affair.  Especially if you are taking time to let barrel cool, etc. 

PREMIUM MEMBERS - $1000 PER YEAR. NO HOURLY RANGE FEE. GUESTS OF PREMIUM MEMBERS PAY $20/HOUR.  20 % DISCOUNT ON CLASSES. 2 COMPLIMENTARY GUEST PASSES.

SHEEPDOG MEMBERS $300 PER YEAR AND $20 PER HOUR FOR RANGE TIME

DAY SHOOTERS  $30 PER HOUR

Yeah, its not cheap but its a lot closer then driving out 3.5-4 hours to Mifflin in PA and spending an overnight at a cheap motel to make it worth it. My time is pretty important to me. I’m there and back in 1/2 a day. I shoot a lot of long range rifle and when I’m there I’m done in two hours.  I have a plan of what I have in mind and little time is wasted. Scope is zeroed. Dope is solid and proven. Ammo is tuned to the rifle. Weather conditions taken off the Kestrel. No guessing why I did not impact. I’m done in 50-60 rounds of bolt rifle.  Record my data and hits then pay Eddy. That should be enough shooting for anyone at distance with a scope. More then that and you are just turning money into noise. 

11 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

Yeah, its not cheap but its a lot closer then driving out 3.5-4 hours to Mifflin in PA and spending an overnight at a cheap motel to make it worth it. My time is pretty important to me. I’m there and back in 1/2 a day. I shoot a lot of long range rifle and when I’m there I’m done in two hours.  I have a plan of what I have in mind and little time is wasted. Scope is zeroed. Dope is solid and proven. Ammo is tuned to the rifle. Weather conditions taken off the Kestrel. No guessing why I did not impact. I’m done in 50-60 rounds of bolt rifle.  Record my data and hits then pay Eddy. That should be enough shooting for anyone at distance with a scope. More then that and you are just turning money into noise. 

If you are in north jersey, sure, absolutely makes sense. :)

what types of targets do they have out there? Is it steel or paper? Or both?  Terrain?

47 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Wow, the rates are kinda crazy!  To give a for instance, we are looking at the range in PA, the 1200 yard one and it would come out to about $50 per person for the full day.... no memberships, etc. 

One thing to keep in mind... when going to a long distance range, it is AT LEAST a 3 or 4 hour affair.  Especially if you are taking time to let barrel cool, etc. 

PREMIUM MEMBERS - $1000 PER YEAR. NO HOURLY RANGE FEE. GUESTS OF PREMIUM MEMBERS PAY $20/HOUR.  20 % DISCOUNT ON CLASSES. 2 COMPLIMENTARY GUEST PASSES.

SHEEPDOG MEMBERS $300 PER YEAR AND $20 PER HOUR FOR RANGE TIME

DAY SHOOTERS  $30 PER HOUR

doesnt NY have a AWB?  i dont have a bolt gun, just a SCAR 20S for distance.   Im already a member @ NHRPC. 

1 minute ago, CageFighter said:

doesnt NY have a AWB?  i dont have a bolt gun, just a SCAR 20S for distance.   Im already a member @ NHRPC. 

Yeah, there is also the issue of that....  I get bringing a gun to a "match" in NY, but how does it work with regular long guns?

@CageFighter, how much do you love it?!?!  One of a few in PA, or at least this side where you can shoot 600?    Must be a hike for you, no?

Thanks everyone for your input. I believe the range in Catskill, NY probably makes the most sense to me as it's a about 90 minutes away and I can deal with the cost. If the range costs non members $30p/h and I shoot for 2 hrs its $60 a trip. 7 trips between now and my trip to Wyoming the last week of September would be $420 although its 30 minutes longer each way. The same time at Griffin & Howe is $2800.

21 minutes ago, Maksim said:

If you are in north jersey, sure, absolutely makes sense. :)

what types of targets do they have out there? Is it steel or paper? Or both?  Terrain?

Club steel from 50 yards out placed about every 100 yards. Some swingers, mostly static. He paints it daily so you should see your hits if you get there early in the morning when its still pristine. Pretty flat and wide out to 700 then it starts to incline. 1000 is up on a mountain top away from the rest of the range. Different arrays and sizes of targets. From 400/in its more of a shooting gallery. I think he has a silouette of a full size deer or elk at 400. After 400 there is less variety but usually a full size ipsc (or similar) and one/two smaller plates for more of a challenge. Full size IPSC at 1000 and 12” plates. He had a 6’x6’ sheet of steel up there at 1000 which was nice to see where you were hitting if not sure but I think he took it down. There are target stands at 50, 100 etc if you want to put up paper. 

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

Club steel from 50 yards out placed about every 100 yards. Some swingers, mostly static. He paints it daily so you should see your hits if you get there early in the morning when its still pristine. Pretty flat and wide out to 700 then it starts to incline. 1000 is up on a mountain top away from the rest of the range. Different arrays and sizes of targets. From 400/in its more of a shooting gallery. I think he has a silouette of a full size deer or elk at 400. After 400 there is less variety but usually a full size ipsc (or similar) and one/two smaller plates for more of a challenge. Full size IPSC at 1000 and 12” plates. He had a 6’x6’ sheet of steel up there at 1000 which was nice to see where you were hitting if not sure but I think he took it down. There are target stands at 50, 100 etc if you want to put up paper. 

cool, will keep it in mind for one offs if I need 1,000 and can't rent out Shooter's Gauntlet 1,200 or 1,500.

If you can bring a few friends, that ends up being a lot better and you have the entire range to yourself.... and for me about 30 miiles closer, 130 vs like 160.

Will reach out to him to see if he can do a better rate to just rent out range or what not... 

As @CageFighter pointed out, it really is limited to just your typical bolt guns... isn't it?  Can't bring standard mags there?

13 minutes ago, Maksim said:

cool, will keep it in mind for one offs if I need 1,000 and can't rent out Shooter's Gauntlet 1,200 or 1,500.

If you can bring a few friends, that ends up being a lot better and you have the entire range to yourself.... and for me about 30 miiles closer, 130 vs like 160.

Will reach out to him to see if he can do a better rate to just rent out range or what not... 

As @CageFighter pointed out, it really is limited to just your typical bolt guns... isn't it?  Can't bring standard mags there?

Contact him and see what he will do about a private party. Phone may be better then email for communication. Personally , I only bring bolt guns there since I bring my scar and ar’s to new holland. Others may do otherwise and can’t speak for them. 

On 4/1/2019 at 11:08 PM, oldsoul25 said:

Thanks in advance.

I consider myself an ethical hunter and if I were you this is what I'd do....

Chrono the load. Map it out (fire it ) at 100,200,300.  Compare results to a ballistics chart you develop based on MV and BC and adjust.

Extrapolate out to 400.  Hey you better develop a ballistics chart anyway what if you get a longer shot? 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Old School said:

Chrono the load. Map it out (fire it ) at 100,200,300.  Compare results to a ballistics chart you develop based on MV and BC and adjust.

Extrapolate out to 400.  Hey you better develop a ballistics chart anyway what if you get a longer shot? 

Thanks. I also consider myself an ethical hunter. This is one reason I'm looking to get as much range time in a 200, 300 and 400 yds as I can before my hunt. I will also practice at 500 yrs. If I can consistently be accurate at specific distances and an opportunity presents itself and there is little to no wind I would make that decision then. My scope is a Leupold 2-12x42mm. Leupold will provide a CDS turret once I send them all the data. Then I  just need to range and dial the turret to the right distance.  I want lots of practice to have the confidence I'll need. 

1 hour ago, Old School said:

Great advice from the guy who quit NJ and leaving in REAL America. =) 

46 minutes ago, oldsoul25 said:

Thanks. I also consider myself an ethical hunter. This is one reason I'm looking to get as much range time in a 200, 300 and 400 yds as I can before my hunt. I will also practice at 500 yrs. If I can consistently be accurate at specific distances and an opportunity presents itself and there is little to no wind I would make that decision then. My scope is a Leupold 2-12x42mm. Leupold will provide a CDS turret once I send them all the data. Then I  just need to range and dial the turret to the right distance.  I want lots of practice to have the confidence I'll need. 

If you need any help with Leupold, let me know.

CDS turret is REALLY cool.  We tried one when I was in Texas on a brand new unreleased gun on their Mark 5 3-18 and it was spot on out to around 700 yards.

Up until the trip, I have only shot at 200 to 300 tops, with the exception of slinging a few rounds past that at Media Day at Shot Show.

With a good gun and optic... and going way past 500.... coming back and shooting up to 700 yards was far far easier... you just need to see the gun prove it to you and then it clicks.

Btw, what caliber/gun are you shooting, don't recall if you mentioned.

If you want, the club in Texas offered to do custom range/dope cards, with reticle hold overs, etc.

Need gun, barrel length, velocity of ammo if you have, better yet chronoed, and scope model/reticle.  

I have never hunted but really came away with admiration for the guys and gals who are passionate and dedicated to ethical hunting...

This was the place.

www.ftwsaam.com

8 hours ago, oldsoul25 said:

I don't know how you came up with that 400 number or why you're so tied to it.  You shoot small at 300 and learn to read wind you'll be better than fine.  Nobody has talked about wind. Just as a matter of convenience I'm not attaching a ballistics chart but believe me wind will F' you up. Now I don't hunt long but shoot routinely to 800 competitively.  I hunt pin point out to 100 but that's the area I hunt.  You're gonna shoot 180gr bullets I'm sure.  Practice at the CR 300 a lot.  Read wind.  Wind at their 300 really sux.  Practice shooting off of sticks or you pack  Just like you will on your hunt.  Is your rifle at least 3/4 MOA? 

If you want to talk get in touch.  As you know I'm in SC so unless your coming down I can't help personally.

12 hours ago, CageFighter said:

expensive is all relative.

Checked with a friend who shoots there frequently and he said it was close to $100K a year with a substantial initiation fee and vetting process on top of that. 

The members also bid on areas to hunt deer, and the prices can get crazy but all of the $$$ from that is donated to charity.

2 hours ago, Old School said:

I don't know how you came up with that 400 number or why you're so tied to it.  You shoot small at 300 and learn to read wind you'll be better than fine.  Nobody has talked about wind. Just as a matter of convenience I'm not attaching a ballistics chart but believe me wind will F' you up. Now I don't hunt long but shoot routinely to 800 competitively.  I hunt pin point out to 100 but that's the area I hunt.  You're gonna shoot 180gr bullets I'm sure.  Practice at the CR 300 a lot.  Read wind.  Wind at their 300 really sux.  Practice shooting off of sticks or you pack  Just like you will on your hunt.  Is your rifle at least 3/4 MOA? 

If you want to talk get in touch.  As you know I'm in SC so unless your coming down I can't help personally.

I started looking for 400+ yd ranges because the range I belong to has ranges out to 300 yds. I understand that if I can practice at these ranges its merely a function of dialing in the CDS for longer shots but aside from having the opportunity to get experience at distance with wind I'm guessing there's probably a psychological aspect of seeing a target at 400 or 500 yards and thinking that's pretty darn far so actually doing it may deal with those daemons.  I have a Weatherby DGR in 300 weatherby mag shooting Barnes 180gr TSX. The rig is new to me this year and I've only had it to the range once. I haven't had the opportunity to chrono it yet but thats high on my list. Thank you very much for the advice and offer of time. I actually have plans to move to the Summerville area mid 2020. 

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

If you need any help with Leupold, let me know.

CDS turret is REALLY cool.  We tried one when I was in Texas on a brand new unreleased gun on their Mark 5 3-18 and it was spot on out to around 700 yards.

Up until the trip, I have only shot at 200 to 300 tops, with the exception of slinging a few rounds past that at Media Day at Shot Show.

With a good gun and optic... and going way past 500.... coming back and shooting up to 700 yards was far far easier... you just need to see the gun prove it to you and then it clicks.

Btw, what caliber/gun are you shooting, don't recall if you mentioned.

If you want, the club in Texas offered to do custom range/dope cards, with reticle hold overs, etc.

Need gun, barrel length, velocity of ammo if you have, better yet chronoed, and scope model/reticle.  

I have never hunted but really came away with admiration for the guys and gals who are passionate and dedicated to ethical hunting...

This was the place.

www.ftwsaam.com

Thank you for the kind offer.  I have a Weatherby DGR in 300 weatherby mag shooting Barnes 180gr TSX. The scope is the vx-6hd 2-12x42mm fire dot reticle. The rig is new to me this year and I've only had it to the range once. I haven't had the opportunity to chrono it yet but thats high on my list

8 hours ago, oldsoul25 said:

I started looking for 400+ yd ranges because the range I belong to has ranges out to 300 yds. I understand that if I can practice at these ranges its merely a function of dialing in the CDS for longer shots but aside from having the opportunity to get experience at distance with wind I'm guessing there's probably a psychological aspect of seeing a target at 400 or 500 yards and thinking that's pretty darn far so actually doing it may deal with those daemons.  I have a Weatherby DGR in 300 weatherby mag shooting Barnes 180gr TSX. The rig is new to me this year and I've only had it to the range once. I haven't had the opportunity to chrono it yet but thats high on my list. Thank you very much for the advice and offer of time. I actually have plans to move to the Summerville area mid 2020. 

Love the TSX but be careful.  I shoot 62gr TSX for medium sized gave out of a 22Nosler.  Because they're pure copper they are longer per given weight than a lead bullet.  Thus, barrel rate of twist needing compatibility with bullet length (not weight) may effect your accuracy.  Just saying and shoot, shoot, shoot.  Talk to "Bully" if you need bedding.

Have fun, prepare well and "reach out and touch someone". 

• Like 1