DirtyDigz

Wills - special considerations for firearms?

Despite my best prior efforts, I’ve managed to reach middle age and acquire some assets.  I’ve been recently reading will/estate/probate horror stories and getting “scared straight” about not having a will.

Last effing thing I would ever want to have happen is to snuff it without a will and have  a state-appointed executor deciding what to do with my guns.

So I’m looking for two things currently - recommendations to a 2A/RKBA friendly lawyer to advise on and draft a will for me, and advice on best practices for handling firearms as part of an estate.  I don’t have any kids, and at this point it is very unlikely that I ever will.

PM’s welcome if it’s not something you want to discuss “in the open”.

I recommend putting together a spreadsheet, with make, model, caliber, year made, attachments (optics, etc), other distinguishing characteristics, who you want to inherit the gun,  ||| serial number, approximate value, family history (war bringback?  Great Grandpa's shotgun? etc).

Attach the spreadsheet with only the columns before the ||| separator to the will (it doesn't need to list serial numbers and values).   Put the full spreadsheet somewhere where your heirs can get at it.

I don't have a recommendation for an attorney, but if you list your approximate location, someone else might.

3 minutes ago, 10X said:

I don't have a recommendation for an attorney, but if you list your approximate location, someone else might.

Asbury park-ish, but willing to travel for good advice.

5 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Just name me in your will and I'll take care of everything else. Easy Peasy.

You’ve benefitted previously from my firearm purchasing...

21 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

So I’m looking for two things currently - recommendations to a 2A/RKBA friendly lawyer to advise on and draft a will for me, and advice on best practices for handling firearms as part of an estate.  

I don't think you need a specific 2A lawyer to handle it. Any lawyer that does wills can write it anyway you want. One question, you mentioned no kids, is there a significant other in your life that you would will your estate/firearms to? If so, then they would be the one to handle disposing of the firearms and your stuff. If no significant other, how about brothers/sisters?

Alternatively, any buddies that are shooters that you might give them to?

I would suggest making a list of your collection and outlining where specifically the items go when you pass. That list can be attached to your normal will, and the lawyer will incorporate it.

Example, in my case, wifey automatically assumes my belongings when I go. But, she's not a fan of my shooting hobby, and wants no part of it. So, I have two sons. I wrote a specific document on where all my firearm related stuff goes and attached it to my will. When I take a dirt nap, wifey doesn't even have to deal with any firearm related issues, it all immediately passes to my sons to deal with.

She'll just take all my money and have a hell of a party and vacation! :8P:

On 4/2/2019 at 1:05 PM, DirtyDigz said:

Despite my best prior efforts, I’ve managed to reach middle age and acquire some assets.  I’ve been recently reading will/estate/probate horror stories and getting “scared straight” about not having a will.

Last effing thing I would ever want to have happen is to snuff it without a will and have  a state-appointed executor deciding what to do with my guns.

So I’m looking for two things currently - recommendations to a 2A/RKBA friendly lawyer to advise on and draft a will for me, and advice on best practices for handling firearms as part of an estate.  I don’t have any kids, and at this point it is very unlikely that I ever will.

PM’s welcome if it’s not something you want to discuss “in the open”.

https://nfalawyers.com/put-firearms-gun-trust/

On 4/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, 10X said:

I recommend putting together a spreadsheet, with make, model, caliber, year made, attachments (optics, etc), other distinguishing characteristics ||| serial number, approximate value, family history (war bringback?  Great Grandpa's shotgun, etc).

Attach the spreadsheet with only the columns before the ||| separator to the will (it doesn't need to list serial numbers and values).   Put the full spreadsheet somewhere where your heirs can get at it.

Pictures too, approximate value with updates every year or so.  Great post @10X

One paranoia-based idea to add to the spreadsheet - if you have multiples of the same/similar firearms then make up a unique “nickname” for each firearm. The spreadsheet that goes in the will has the nicknames and not the actual serial#’s.

Include a paper spreadsheet in the safe that indexes the nicknames to the actual serial #’s.

This way, if you have 2 of the same, or very similar, firearms, the executor can still definitively identify them without you having to publish the serial #’s in the will.

e.g.:

Glock 19 #1 = “GoofyShoes” (nickname) = 12345AH (serial #)

Glock 19 #2 = “RayShart” = 34567BJ