Swizz70

Removing a NJ pinned stock..!!?? Magpul SL-K

I have a Magpul SL-K stock pinned from factory and this stock is too small for my liking!  I've watched some videos and punched out the roll pin under the adjustment lever and this thing will not budge!  Actually the whole lever assembly internals came out as well.  I cannot see where else it could possibly be pinned!  Anyone have any experience with removing these?  Just trying to avoid bringing it to a gun shop and being charged a workbench fee! lol.  I'll post some photos later if that helps.  

Thanks in advance everyone!

2 minutes ago, GramGun79 said:

If there is no other pin it might be epoxied on the buffer tube. 

Well that would suck!  There's one more piece on the stock I can unscrew and see if it's underneath.  So I guess some manufacturers are asking where you want it "pinned" and then using epoxy!

thanks Anthony.

3 minutes ago, Swizz70 said:

Well that would suck!  There's one more piece on the stock I can unscrew and see if it's underneath.  So I guess some manufacturers are asking where you want it "pinned" and then using epoxy!

thanks Anthony.

Post some pics of it from different sides. Maybe we can see something your missing. 

It is most likely epoxied from the factory.

The easiest thing would be to replace the whole stock; buffer tubes are cheap.

Also - you may gave a commercial tube from factory - if you replace the tube you can get a Mil-Spec tube & stock set.

Good Luck!

On 4/2/2019 at 9:44 PM, Swizz70 said:

thanks Anthony.

I'v never seen a manufacture ask where someone wants a stock pinned... They usually just fully extend it..

What kinda gun is this.  Did u choose where you want the stock pinned or did it just come fully extended.

Assuming this was sold as a NJ-compliant model (from the factory and not done by a gunsmith/ffl) can you tell us who the manufacturer is? Someone probably has been down that road and could help. I only have one rifle that was sold with a NJ-compliant SKU from the factory from S&W and it was pinned in the fully extended position between the stock and the adjustment "rail" on the buffer tube. One easy-to-remove pin, on just one side (which I never touched, I swear). Aftermarket pinning could be anywhere. I have one that has the release latch pinned. There should be a special place in hell for anyone who epoxies a stock in place.

4 minutes ago, SIGMan Freud said:

There should be a special place in hell for anyone who epoxies a stock in place.

I agree... Its stupid and unnecessary.

I have a question for the OP... if you turn over the tube does it have adjustment slots.. some manufactures use tubes without them.

3 hours ago, remixer said:

I'v never seen a manufacture ask where someone wants a stock pinned... They usually just fully extend it..

What kinda gun is this.  Did u choose where you want the stock pinned or did it just come fully extended.

I have two AR's one Spikes Tactical and a Rebel Arms which is the one I'm discussing here with the stock issue.  Both companies asked what position I wanted it pinned for NJ.  Why would any company pin fully extended??  Maybe some don't care about length of pull and comfort/size of the shooter!?  NJ just says it can't be folding or collapsible (which is BS to most people) but it doesn't mean it has to be fully extended.  With that said...I just found out that Rebel Arms (East Stroudsburg PA) is no longer in business...so I cannot ask them what they did!  Seemed to be a good company when they were in business and it's a smooth gun...just disliked the stock after I ran it a few times.

3 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

It is most likely epoxied from the factory.

The easiest thing would be to replace the whole stock; buffer tubes are cheap.

Also - you may gave a commercial tube from factory - if you replace the tube you can get a Mil-Spec tube & stock set.

Good Luck!

Hey Jack, thanks for the input...yes I know that would be an option I'll probably have to take if I can't get it off!

1 hour ago, SIGMan Freud said:

Assuming this was sold as a NJ-compliant model (from the factory and not done by a gunsmith/ffl) can you tell us who the manufacturer is? Someone probably has been down that road and could help. I only have one rifle that was sold with a NJ-compliant SKU from the factory from S&W and it was pinned in the fully extended position between the stock and the adjustment "rail" on the buffer tube. One easy-to-remove pin, on just one side (which I never touched, I swear). Aftermarket pinning could be anywhere. I have one that has the release latch pinned. There should be a special place in hell for anyone who epoxies a stock in place.

Sig, the Mfg is  Rebel Arms (East Stroudsburg PA) which I believe is no longer in business so I cannot call them!  I also have a Spikes that was pinned before they shipped and that was easy to locate.  And I agree...there should be a place in hell for anyone who epoxies a stock! LOL.  Thanks!

Most companies that sell a NJ compliant version don't offer a LOP option (S&W for example).

If you order a rifle that they are building for you (1 off) as opposed to an off the self model, then you can get them to pin it where you want it (most of the time). 

As Steve pointed out, the S&W compliant guns don't have the indents for the lock to seat, so that buffer tube is useless if you were to get the stock off. In most cases, NJ compliant models have a commercial buffer tube; and if you are buying a new stock and it's Mil-Spec there would be no sense messing with it anyway.

I would just torch it off and crazy Glue on another and move on................... lol

• Haha 1

Does the stock Wiggle

Ilm wondering if they just stuck a Mil spec stock on a Commercial Tube. It would fit insanely tight.

honestly... Since you want to change the stock anyways and you removed the locking lug for the adjustable part of the stock...

have you tried using a hammer on the butt stock in the direction that you want it to open?

If not try it.... If they used a bit of epoxy that will break it lose.

The pin is under the adjustment lever.  I own a rebel arms AR myself. Very solid rifle and can take a beating. They aren't MIL-SPEC persay but an example would be try removing the ejector door flap. You can't because the way they installed it. Little stupid things like that, but the main parts of the rifle are legit and of high quality.

• Like 1

assuming they used a roll pin, a drill bit should fit right in the roll pin, then go in reverse and the pin would come out. I had to do this on my LWRC, I didn't know the LOP was much shorter with the LWRC stock than a magpul stock. I pulled the pin, moved the stock where I wanted it and drilled a new place for the pin to go.

• Like 1