Screwball

Too Easy to Find an Excuse... (S&W M&P .38 Special)

So, I’ve been up in Maine since Saturday. Scoped out the area, and yesterday was trying to pass some time waiting on my realtor to get back to me. Gun shop right on the main road in Houlton... so stopped in.

Had some surplus rifles... ok prices, but nothing that really caught my eye. The woman behind the counter said that they just sit, as she turned a guy away who wanted to sell his Mauser. Had a few pre-1964 Winchester rifles... and was considering a .30-30... but barrels were filthy and couldn’t tell how good they were. Walked down the display case and saw a few older .22s... and asked the lady if they accept C&Rs as I saw something on the bottom shelf.

96UILlW.jpg

Paid $450 for about a 100 year old M&P in .38 Special. Grips really caught my eye, and the gun is in pretty good shape. I’m going with a duty gun, which I might get some info from a S&W letter. Front sight was slightly modified, but lock-up is 100%. Seems to have been carried, but not shot that much. Rifling looks AMAZING!

Came with a box that was obviously fake... having an I instead of a 1, which I made sure the lady fixed in her book. Also had a test target, which was dated for 1916. She originally said 1920 or 1921 (think her husband looked it up), which had her second guessing herself. I kind of questioned the NRA target, but a member on S&W Forum pointed out that the address has a zip code, which wasn’t around until 1963. Filed it in the hotel garbage, because I’m not a fan of fake documentation floating around.

I have been a fan of the Model 10 lineage since I got the Oswald Victory revolver copy. Being another K-frame, the speedloaders I got for the Victory will work with it. Depending on what the letter says, I might try to get a correct duty holster... if that is uncovered. Figured since I’m getting sworn in on Thursday, it will have a little bit of sentimental value.

• Like 1

Nice revolver...even if the target was BS.

Houlton is nice....enjoy.  Wife n I spent a couple weeks up there; stayed in Island Falls.  We were tempted to make it permanent, too; but its a little too far.

• Agree 1