1LtCAP

emergency basic medical training?

not sure where this should go. 

there was a pretty nasty crash out in front of the shop this afternoon. 4 cars. 2 people taken in ambulance. 3 small kids in the vehicle that caused the whole thing. thankfully they were ok. 

anyway......when I heard the first hit, I dialed 911, and went over to the scene. there were a bunch of people came over, and not a single. fucking. one. of. us. knew what to do. the only thing I could think of to do was to tell someone that I think was the kids grandpop to move them away from their mother so they didn't see her sitting there bleeding. 

so...…...who/what/where would one look for just the very basic "care for the injured till real help arrives" kind of training? 

26 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

there were a bunch of people came over, and not a single. fucking. one. of. us. knew what to do.

Wow, not a single ex Boy Scout/Girl Scout in the group. That's not good. Knowing basic first aid is truly a matter of life or death in many cases. The life you save, might be your own.

27 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

so...…...who/what/where would one look for just the very basic "care for the injured till real help arrives" kind of training?

Call your local rescue squad in your town. Many usually hold classes to teach basic first aid for groups, businesses, Scouts, etc. Other option is to call the fire department and see if they do any classes.

Or, check this Red Cross site:

https://www.redcross.org/local/new-jersey/take-a-class/first-aid

Lastly, the county colleges or votech have adult school classes, check there.

CPR and Stop the Bleed

Two basic and popular classes, readily available (should be able to google to find classes sponsored by local hospitals, or EMS groups). If you can’t find a class, you should be able to find instructors (check with local EMS or Fire Department), have your church, gun range, senior citizen, Boy Scout or whatever social group you might be a part of to sponser the classes. 

6 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

You can also take CERT classes. They teach first aid, and a lot of other useful skill sets. And, it’s free. 

I was going to suggest that too. We did first aid in CERT training class, but it wasn't a hands-on class, just sitting through a lecture. Doing hands-on bandaging, CPR, etc. practice is better during a class. Plus, CERT ends up being a commitment, not sure he's looking for that, to be part of a emergency group. It looks like he wants some basic training.

I'll come down and do it if the price is right.  :yahoo:

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

I was going to suggest that too. We did first aid in CERT training class, but it wasn't a hands-on class, just sitting through a lecture. Doing hands-on bandaging, CPR, etc. practice is better during a class. Plus, CERT ends up being a commitment, not sure he's looking for that, to be part of a emergency group. It looks like he wants some basic training.

I'll come down and do it if the price is right.  :yahoo:

that's it. just enough to be able to help someone till the 2nd responders get there.

1 hour ago, bobblackrifle said:

Clean shop towels and gloves will do in a pinch.

Sterile or clean is always better but if the bleeding is that bad use whatever you got. Better to deal with an infection later than have the victim bleed out at the scene.

• Agree 2

Take a first aid/CPR/AED class from the Red Cross.  There are tons of different times and dates.  They are really helpful and should help you be able to handle this situation in the future.  Highly recommend.

I did it a year or so ago because it gives you legal protection if you try to help someone.  Also I coach little league and I wanted to make sure I knew what to do if someone gets hurt.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:28 AM, Zeke said:

@Mrs.Zeke jus did a 2 day trauma class this past weekend. It mostly covered tourniquet, wound packing and assessment.   

Two day class.  We did that class at ttc in 2 hours.  What else did they teach?  I found it pretty staight forward.  The only thing i found different from 30 years ago when i was taught it was using a cat instead of a rat. 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:33 AM, Sniper said:

Wow, not a single ex Boy Scout/Girl Scout in the group. That's not good. Knowing basic first aid is truly a matter of life or death in many cases. The life you save, might be your own.

Call your local rescue squad in your town. Many usually hold classes to teach basic first aid for groups, businesses, Scouts, etc. Other option is to call the fire department and see if they do any classes.

^this. I was on the local first aid squad for a few years and there was (maybe still is, not sure) an 8 point training system setup covering CPR, basic first aid, advanced first aid, triage, extrication, etc... There’s probably still something like that.

-Jim

21 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Two day class.  We did that class at ttc in 2 hours.  What else did they teach?  I found it pretty staight forward.  The only thing i found different from 30 years ago when i was taught it was using a cat instead of a rat. 

Same class as emt le. She was the only one there that wasn’t required to take it. Apparently after she passed she’s certified for 4 years. 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:33 AM, Sniper said:

this and Cert classes. Before I was a polivce officer, i was and am an ER nurse, If I ever get a min, maybe i can put together an informal class.

I enjoyed the Red Cross's training for CPR/AED. The trainer did a great job teaching everything. Plus if you are a business owner, you might be able to get discounts on insurance for your company if you have staff trained. I'm fighting to get first aid included for my company. It's the kind of thing where seconds can count.

I was fortunate enough to take the Army's combat life saving course which I hope to God I'll never need. But some of the main points would apply to any situation:

Don't remove or move any objects stuck in them.

If it's bleeding, pack the wound and apply pressure.

If they are in immediate danger of more damage (like car on fire, etc.), move them behind cover, then continue with treatment until help arrives.

An in-person class makes a huge difference though. Actually physically practicing it is a big confidence booster seeing that you can do it. And basic first aid can make a huge difference when waiting for help to arrive. Great job taking the initiative to learn this stuff.