Regular Guy

How critical is it for you to have your little finger on the grip?

Does the little finger make a big difference to you?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. In general, how comfortable are you with your grip on a handgun when your little finger hangs off the bottom?

• Does not bother me at all.
    • I'm used to it. I have a bear claw for a hand so my little finger hangs off a 50 cal Desert Eagle.
    • It feels a little weird but is not a big deal for me.
    • Without a magazine finger extension, the gun is useless to me.

Just wondering what the overall consensus is.  In general, I cannot stand the way it feels when holding a gun where my little finger hangs off under the grip.  Today I got a new Springfield 911.  It comes with 2 mags, one is 6 round flush fitting and the other is 7 rounds with a finger extension. It fits my hand perfect with the 7 round mag inserted.  I bought an extra 7 round mag because I figured I would never use the 6 rounder.  Shockingly, I can get a comfortable grip on this particular gun with my little finger off the grip.   First micro handgun I've come across that feels this way.  The overall majority of handguns are not comfortable to me this way so I just wanted to see what others thought.

If I can get it, I’d prefer it.

However, if the gun needs to be small for whatever reason... I’ll make it work. Lucky for me, my LCP with finger rest base works good enough for me to just get the pinky on. So... all my magazines have that base installed (as well as Magguts).

• Like 1

I've been wearing a handgun nearly everyday for 35 years, so I find the pinkyless grip quite comfortable. In fact, I now have one that only my middle finger holds the grip.

• Confused 1

Great topic.  I find it weird that people want the smallest gun available then they skip the flat magazine and run the extended one or one with a pinky rest.  So, in essence they are running a larger gun than need be.

Is it easier to shoot with all your fingers on the gun?  Yes. 

Is it easier to draw from concealment with all your fingers on the gun?  Yes

Is it more concealable with a shorter grip?  Yes

Is it lighter with a shorter grip?  Yes

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From a pure shooting standpoint, the bottom finger of your grip - preferably the pinky - is the most influential out of all your fingers when considering speed and accuracy. 

Can you shoot well without your pinky on the grip? Sure.

But nearly everyone on the planet will shoot better with all of their fingers in contact with the grip. It’s leverage. The longer (talking length - not time, here) your grip is, the more leverage you have to combat recoil induced muzzle flip. Would you swing a hammer with your pinky off the grip? Turn a wrench using only your first three fingers? Hold a baseball bat or tennis racket with your pinkies hanging out in space? Of course not. It feels weak and uncomfortable. 

I agree with Ray. I see it all the time when people are buying guns. They want the smallest gun they can get, then they realize they shoot it better with a full size grip and fix it with mag/grip extensions :facepalm: 

If you are gonna get grip extensions anyway, just get the bigger gun. You will shoot it better, it will absorb recoil better, your split times will be faster, your draw will be cleaner. 

Ok, sure, it’s a little heavier than the smaller gun. By what? A few oz?

Example:

Glock 19: 20.9oz

Glock 43: 16.2 oz

So in an effort to save 4.7 oz someone will choose to carry a less capable gun that they don’t shoot as well. Then add an extended mag that makes the grip (the hardest part of the gun to conceal) the same size as the bigger gun anyway? Doesn’t make sense.

Smaller guns have their purpose in certain circumstances, but a full size gun, that you can get ALL of your fingers on - especially your pinky - will almost always be easier to shoot accurately and fast.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 2

21 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

From a pure shooting standpoint, the bottom finger of your grip - preferably the pinky - is the most influential out of all your fingers when considering speed and accuracy. 

Can you shoot will without your pinky on the grip? Sure.

But nearly everyone on the planet will shoot better with all of their fingers in contact with the grip. It’s leverage. The longer (length not time) your grip is, the more leverage you have to combat recoil induced muzzle flip. Would you swing a hammer with your pinky off the grip? Turn a wrench using only your first three fingers? Hold a baseball bat or tennis racket with your pinkies hanging out in space? Of course not. It feels weak and uncomfortable. 

I agree with Ray. I see it all the time when people are buying guns. They want the smallest gun they can get, then they realize they shoot it better with a full size grip and fix it with mag/grip extensions :facepalm: 

If you are gonna get grip extensions anyway, just get the bigger gun. You will shoot it better, it will absorb recoil better, your split times will be faster, your draw will be cleaner. 

Ok, sure, it’s a little heavier than the smaller gun. By what? A few oz?

Example:

Glock 19: 20.9oz

Glock 43: 16.2 oz

So in an effort to save 4.7 oz someone will choose to carry a less capable gun that they don’t shoot as well. Then add an extended mag that makes the grip (the hardest part of the gun to conceal) the same size as the bigger gun anyway? Didn’t make sense.

Smaller guns have their purpose in certain circumstances, but a full size gun, that you can get ALL of your fingers on - especially your pinky - will almost always be easier to shoot accurately and fast.

I carry a 43 because I absolutely positively do not want the gun identified when I am carrying it.. that is my priority.. do I shoot my full size Glock better? sure.. but do I shoot both well enough to engage a target at SD range.. yes.. so I choose the smaller gun.. because concealment is the priority.. 

Mindset should be - Winning a gunfight is the priority. That means having the gun I shoot the best available on the day I need to protect myself and my loved ones. Concealability is a concern, but shouldn’t be your primary decision point - IMO.

Then build your concealment options around that. It isn’t hard to conceal a G19 sized pistol. Shit, bad guys routinely carry and conceal full size handguns. Hell, we took a replica Colt Walker  (4.5lb black powder revolver) off a dude once. Didn’t know the guy was carrying until we put hands on it.

Not for nothing, I conceal carry either a Glock23/19 or a Glock 35 every day, all day when not wearing a duty belt at work. Occasionally I’ll carry a 5” 1911, sometimes I will add a Kahr PM9 (almost the same size and weight a a G43) on my ankle front pocket, as a BUG.

I have never ever had a concealment issue with full-size guns whether I’m dressed for Winter, spring, summer, or fall weather.

It is a system - gun, holster, belt, clothes. 

At the end of the day, carrying a pistol is a personal choice. You should absolutely do what you think is good for you.

I’m just saying, it is not difficult to properly conceal a more capable pistol than a G43.

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

I've been wearing a handgun nearly everyday for 35 years, so I find the pinkyless grip quite comfortable. In fact, I now have one that only my middle finger holds the grip.

Are we talking LCP?  That gun is ridiculously tiny.

For me, it's more an issue of strength. I've shot some really compact guns where, even with my little hands, pinkies were a-dangling! I shot ok but found it seriously nerve-wracking, because I didn't feel I had full control over the firearm (I'm talking about guns with some "oomph" recoil, obviously.... not a .22). It felt like gun was going to fly out of my hands! It's the same reason I don't like shooting a .45 off-hand (even with a large grip).

Yeah... wimpy! :icon_redface:

30 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

For me, it's more an issue of strength. I've shot some really compact guns where, even with my little hands, pinkies were a-dangling! I shot ok but found it seriously nerve-wracking, because I didn't feel I had full control over the firearm (I'm talking about guns with some "oomph" recoil, obviously.... not a .22). It felt like gun was going to fly out of my hands! It's the same reason I don't like shooting a .45 off-hand (even with a large grip).

Yeah... wimpy! :icon_redface:

https://www.roguefitness.com/captains-of-crush-grippers?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnKHlBRDLARIsAMtMHDEC6XHNiZrBjd8_6hzkzFpTyv8G9vktsO7Sr4-gEEuZ5d7VQY1ylgcaAqoPEALw_wcB

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

@Mrs. Peel is the captain of crush? :facepalm:

I have a j frame, sr22, p365 that are all tea cup hold guns for me.I’m definitely better with a full size. But , these guns aren’t range toys, ( well the 22 is)they are smaller carry or bug guns. So it’s a compromise I guess, but not a deal breaker.

56 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

My hand strength is weak.  It is probably my biggest weakness for shooting.  What do you recommend @High Exposure for me?

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Is it me or does the 60lb one seem heavy?  Why do I think I need to go smaller?

4 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I forgot there was such an exercise device as the hand gripper things.  While I think it could definitely benefit recoil control, I don't think it would change the psychological discomfort of having the little finger off the grip.  

For the hand gripper, according to this buyers guide apparently the normal pounds of resistance is 30-45 pounds, but they claim that's weak as new born babies can barely get warmed up with that little bit of weight (paraphrasing a little).  They recommend starting with 60lbs and working up to 365lbs for "Beyond natural levels of hand strength."  So if you want to crush coconuts with one hand, start with the 60 and go from there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Mindset should be - Winning a gunfight is the priority. That means having the gun I shoot the best available on the day I need to protect myself and my loved ones.

if that were the case.. I would carry an AR15 around all the time.. 

PA is pretty forgiving with gun rights.. but sometimes I find myself in places that are a lot less receptive.. I avoid the whole discussion by carrying the smallest gun I trust.. so for me that is the 43.. 

I understand your perspective.. 

I have carried a 27.. and even a 23 and 22 with a weapon light.. its all workable.. no argument.. I simply prefer the 43 and accept the trade off.. 

I prefer all fingers on the grip.  In life, everything is a trade off as Ray Ray pointed out.  Decide what makes sense for you and go with it.  If you are having trouble concealing maybe think smaller.  If you need more grip to hold onto the caliber or the light gun, etc. then go with more purchase.  Personally, I like to hook my supporting hand pinky around the other side of the gun to anchor it when my support palm presses against the frame on the other side.  I really like the M&P 9C, but much prefer the grip size of a modified one with X-grip or that fugly Hyve *3 grip extension with its blingy coloring, etc. (that that Turd Murphy has essentially made unusable now without a Magblock installed) to the stock M&P 9C grip.  The stock grip is better with a +0 base plate extender but i don't like the way the rear of the grip frame digs into the bottom of my palm.  Given the choice, I wouldn't think anyone would prefer to have not a full grip.  For me it is all about having different options.  

With both cameras and guns, I cannot stand having a dangling pinky below.  I have a Ruger LC9S Pro with the extension on it for comfort of shooting.  I may try it again without the pinky extension sometime, but seeing how I can't carry, concealment isn't a real issue.  Around the house, I typically have the Glock 23 or Sig Pro 2022 on me OWB.  The LC9S is my smallest pistol.  All my cameras have a battery grip below, most built-in, some added on.

If I were actually able to carry, I think I would opt for the 23 or 2022 most of the time.  I just prefer the size of those pistols, and capacity is (was significantly) better than the LC9S.  Once I actually have to worry about carrying, then I'll worry more about if a 1/2" longer pinky grip matters.

Without a doubt a better purchase means better control.

That being said, I am equally capable with 2 or 3 fingers on the grip. I like to carry as small as I can because I don’t like changing up my style just to conceal. I am a firm believer that not standing out while carrying (I.e. clothing, especially gun branded stuff/mannerisms) is just as important as keeping the gun concealed in the first place.  That is my logic anyway and YMMV.

The biggest limit in my view is capacity. That’s why you carry spare mags though.

2 hours ago, GramGun79 said:

My pinky dangles off even full some full size grips...Massive hands. Non issue for me. My daily carry at home and work is a 43 because i shoot it well and is very comfortable on the body. 

Ya but you’re like 9 feet tall. I’m curious how much you suffer from hypoxia whilst standing.

17 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

My hand strength is weak.  It is probably my biggest weakness for shooting.

@Ray Ray:

When I started shooting again 5-6 years ago, I realized that I needed to exercise and strengthen some hand and finger muscles that are key to maintaining a stable and still grip on any handgun, eliminating any shaking.  After trying a number of devices I found that this one was the most successful and beneficial for me to achieve my goal.  Check it out...

AVB-AMG

PRO Hand and Finger Exerciser, Heavy Tension (9 lbs per Finger) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UMHURY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_QrFQCbFB6GTQA

• Thanks 1