Underdog

Tips for Selling/Trading Firearms...

Does anybody have good sites (besides this one) or tips for selling or trading firearms?   It is getting increasingly difficult to "break even" in this state when switching things up.

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Does anybody have good sites (besides this one) or tips for selling or trading firearms?  

What type of guns?

The challenge will be of course the cost.

If you want top dollar, it means gunbroker... but then you are likely shipping out of state, etc.  then the fees.

For specific niche items, your best bet is those specific communities.

And of course the various time constraints for how quickly you want it sold. 

yeah its extremely harder to move used stuff now with the extra fees for transfers. someones gotta take the hit and that's why on my site (NJ GUNS FOR SALE on MEWE)  I recommend buyers and sellers split ffl cost. either way its a extra 40-50 bucks on someones end if not.

especially low end stuff, i have a couple rifles its just not worth selling now cause the extra fees make it absurd. hell i really need the money too but selling a 150.00 for 200 is not gonna happen for the most part. 

11 minutes ago, ogfarmer said:

yeah its extremely harder to move used stuff now with the extra fees for transfers. someones gotta take the hit and that's why on my site (NJ GUNS FOR SALE on MEWE)  I recommend buyers and sellers split ffl cost. either way its a extra 40-50 bucks on someones end if not.

especially low end stuff, i have a couple rifles its just not worth selling now cause the extra fees make it absurd. hell i really need the money too but selling a 150.00 for 200 is not gonna happen for the most part. 

For lower end, cheaper stuff,  and especially if you are near PA border, I would recommend doing long guns in PA.  

It's interesting that you bring up on mewe that recommend splitting costs.

So far here, the standard seems to be the buyer assumes the transfer that they have between them and FFL and takes that into the price.

On one occasion, the buyer had free transfers from his range, in another case, the buyer paid whatever the range was charging.

PLEASE VIEW GROUPS NEW GUIDELINES BELOW ON POSTING FORMAT ETC.. try to post required info as follows->
WTS- GLOCK 19 w/ pic
Includes 2 10rd mags, case etc...
Used with approx 1000rds thru it.
Transferred thru "Insert FFL name", w/ either "Transfer Fee Total IE: $52", "Willing to Split Fee $52 with buyer" or note "Transfer fee Included in Price"
PRICE= $399
ALL FOR SALE posts MUST include a FFL of sellers choosing with a transfer fee. Either with transfer amount stated , incorporated into final price, or willingness to split the transfer fee between buyer and seller. All post also require price, location, condition and pics or they will be removed at admins discretion. If shipping is a option please include that.

This is how I ask sales be posted in my group. Of course it goes with out saying that its not followed to the T but for most part the info is provided. 

The problem with movement of used goods is a simple one...

Buyer demand and Price.

If you are selling something special at a relatively good price it will move.  If you selling something common and are expecting top dollar you might as well keep it.

There is no secret strategy  to it. 

• Agree 1

Generally, if it's priced right anything will sell. I've had my best luck with GunBroker auctions and found that older, out-of-production stuff does much better than current production. For example, I just sold a 25 year old S&W 22 for more than twice what I bought it for new and on the other hand, sold a like-new Sako rifle for half what I paid for it last year. 

Breaking even or making money is dependent on what it is,how much you paid for it to start with, how long you've kept it, and it's demand.

You're going to make a lot more on that Python you bought for $250 back in the 70s.  Expect to lose money on that Glock you bought last year.  You can make money on that Glock you bought in the 90s.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Breaking even or making money is dependent on what it is,how much you paid for it to start with, how long you've kept it, and it's demand.

You're going to make a lot more on that Python you bought for $250 back in the 70s.  Expect to lose money on that Glock you bought last year.  You can make money on that Glock you bought in the 90s.

And this is why I generally prefer to buy used. Have yet to hear too many folks losing a shirt selling a gun they bought gently used. 

Guns are guns. Once they are “used” and sold as that, the price generally does not drop further, unless you really used/abused it, it is broken. 

Furthermore, you cannot expect to recoup costs of upgrades... I.e. night sights, trigger jobs, etc.  everyone has a style they like and most likely the buyer paid full price for aftermarket stuff. 

I suppose while we are at it... best way to get the best price... keep the original box/case/manuals, especially for handguns. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

You're going to make a lot more on that Python you bought for $250 back in the 70s. 

I knew I waited too long!   Paid $350 for a Python in the late 80's.