Jump to content
SJG

Glock 43x 500 rounds later

Recommended Posts

Tends to shoot left, as most Glocks do, but more pronounced then my G19 Gen4.  Less of an issue on the second round with proper trigger reset. Corrected with rear sight adjustment

Trigger, sucks, corrected with addition of reduced striker spring,  reduced ejector spring and ghost connector; total cost of parts about $30 or less.

Another trigger issue is that it tends to bite your trigger finger, problem is the ridge on the safety/trigger. Problem resolved by using a Dremmel very gently to smooth the edge/tip

If you are not going to carry it, and plan to use it at the range, skip this model and get a G19 or CZ P-10C, which costs less then a Glock and is just as good.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SJG said:

Tends to shoot left, as most Glocks do, but more pronounced then my G19 Gen4.  Less of an issue on the second round with proper trigger reset. Corrected with rear sight adjustment

Trigger, sucks, corrected with addition of reduced striker spring,  reduced ejector spring and ghost connector; total cost of parts about $30 or less.

Another trigger issue is that it tends to bite your trigger finger, problem is the ridge on the safety/trigger. Problem resolved by using a Dremmel very gently to smooth the edge/tip

If you are not going to carry it, and plan to use it at the range, skip this model and get a G19 or CZ P-10C, which costs less then a Glock and is just as good.

 

 

Heh, do you have big paws? 

On the shooting left part... it’s not the gun shooting left... it’s the shooter. :) 

every block I have Shot has been spot on.  Work on trigger discipline and fundamentals before changing things out.  

Moving the sights masks the problem. 

Will try to pay attention to the trigger for bite although generally have never heard that one before. 

 

16 minutes ago, SJG said:

Tends to shoot left, as most Glocks do, but more pronounced then my G19 Gen4.  Less of an issue on the second round with proper trigger reset. Corrected with rear sight adjustment

Trigger, sucks, corrected with addition of reduced striker spring,  reduced ejector spring and ghost connector; total cost of parts about $30 or less.

Another trigger issue is that it tends to bite your trigger finger, problem is the ridge on the safety/trigger. Problem resolved by using a Dremmel very gently to smooth the edge/tip

If you are not going to carry it, and plan to use it at the range, skip this model and get a G19 or CZ P-10C, which costs less then a Glock and is just as good.

 

 

Btw what distance where you shooting it at? Could anyone else replicate the issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Heh, do you have big paws? 

On the shooting left part... it’s not the gun shooting left... it’s the shooter. :) 

every block I have Shot has been spot on.  Work on trigger discipline and fundamentals before changing things out.  

Moving the sights masks the problem. 

 

I don't know about that @Maksim.  Going back over 20 years ago when the agency I worked for changed over to Glocks.  I'd say 80% of them were shooting to the left during transition training.  I'm talking several hundred 17s and 19s. This was with good and poor shooters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I don't know about that @Maksim.  Going back over 20 years ago when the agency I worked for changed over to Glocks.  I'd say 80% of them were shooting to the left during transition training.  I'm talking several hundred 17s and 19s. This was with good and poor shooters.

I suppose I focus a lot more on the trigger and manipulation.  Have shot at least 20 other Glocks besides my own, and always dead on.

I give my guns to other friends and they pull them left...

I do agree that the trigger will make your bad trigger disciplines A LOT worse... but it is not inherently shooting off center.... at least not any of the Gen 3 + glocks.

But I also practice a lot of dry firing with a NLT SIRT gun (a Glock replica that shoots red and green lasers (red for trigger take up, green for trigger breaking).

And btw, anyone that knows me know that I am not a Glock Fanboy... I actually don't like them much... but I shoot them well and respect the  company.  Just that 9 out of 10 times it is not the gun... but the guy pulling the trigger.

There are of course barrel issues at times, such as first gen M&P 9mm that would shoot 8" groups at 25 yards... but that is not sights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have many 9's by different mfg, with small paws-- my only two semi autos that have tended to shoot to the left are the G26 and the G43x. I sold the G26 quite a while ago. Yes, I can correct for the tendency to shoot to the left with the G 43X by making an adjustment by slightly putting my POA to the right, but decided, I would  rather make the adjustment with the sight. Now my POI matches, my POA. I have not needed to make any sight adjustment on any of my other guns. I do not have this issue with my G19. On follow up shots with the G43x, it is still an issue, but less so, utilizing only trigger reset pressure. Watch this video

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is probably like the Shield being light and thin.   Trigger control and grip placement in the hand.  Utilize thumb of shooting hand and support hand with pressure on the side and use tip of finger on trigger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to the M&P Shield...  I'm right handed.  My fingers are short and on the thick side.  When shooting the single-stack Shield it is challenging for me.  I do not have this problem with other handguns.  Because of the shape of the grip (it is long from front to back) and narrow, it hits the web of my hand in the wrong location between the thumb and palm.  The "reach" is actually longer for me because of the way it sits in my hand.  If I "choke" up and shoot it at the knuckle like you might a double-action revolver it is better, but not right.  If I try to shoot with the tip of my finger it is better but not right.  The thick trigger and the angle and all does not allow me to pull the trigger straight back.  Instead I am pushing at an angle to the back left and it pulls the shot off.  My hand just doesn't fit this gun really well.  Maybe if I lose some weight and my fingers aren't as chunky then they would sit better and my reach would be better..  Maybe if I change the trigger to a blade or something it would be more the correct angle.  So, no matter what I do I cannot get on this gun the right way.  I can do things to mitigate the problem... Tight grip, support hand properly placed, etc.  Even putting that grippy magic tape from Home Depot that doesn't stick to other things but melts into itself helps because it changes where the butte of my hand meets the back of the grip. Still not perfect but angle of finger touching the trigger is better.  I shoot it OK with some techniques, but it is not ideal and I shoot other things better.    But the gun is functioning perfect and it is not the firearm, it is my connection to it and how it doesn't work.  If it had slightly smaller "palm swells" that are non-existent on the Shield that would probably help me.  I have even thought of making the grip a little smaller.  With larger M&Ps, etc. I don't have that problem.  They are NOT as as big, especially with the small insert because the reach is different..  With a Beretta 92 I had a problem as well, and could not get on the trigger and pull it straight back the right way.  Even on a stock CZ 75 I have a little trouble, but with one of the thin CZ grips it is much better.  Each gun fits each person differently.  I am not sure if any of this is helpful with the single-stack Glock, but maybe something is useful.   I love the Shield and would still carry it, but it isn't ideal.  The M&P 2.0 3.6 is much more comfortable (for me).

 

VG, maybe the grip between 43 and 43X is slightly different.   I am with you on the shiny slide.   That and Glock's new quality control is going to bite them in the A$$.  I am pretty much done with new Glocks.  I will stick with GEN3.  I didn't realize Glocks were made in China now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Getting back to the M&P Shield...  I'm right handed.  My fingers are short and on the thick side.  When shooting the single-stack Shield it is challenging for me.  I do not have this problem with other handguns.  Because of the shape of the grip (it is long from front to back) and narrow, it hits the web of my hand in the wrong location between the thumb and palm.  The "reach" is actually longer for me because of the way it sits in my hand.  If I "choke" up and shoot it at the knuckle like you might a double-action revolver it is better, but not right.  If I try to shoot with the tip of my finger it is better but not right.  The thick trigger and the angle and all does not allow me to pull the trigger straight back.  Instead I am pushing at an angle to the back left and it pulls the shot off.  My hand just doesn't fit this gun really well.  Maybe if I lose some weight and my fingers aren't as chunky then they would sit better and my reach would be better..  Maybe if I change the trigger to a blade or something it would be more the correct angle.  So, no matter what I do I cannot get on this gun the right way.  I can do things to mitigate the problem... Tight grip, support hand properly placed, etc.  Even putting that grippy magic tape from Home Depot that doesn't stick to other things but melts into itself helps because it changes where the butte of my hand meets the back of the grip. Still not perfect but angle of finger touching the trigger is better.  I shoot it OK with some techniques, but it is not ideal and I shoot other things better.    But the gun is functioning perfect and it is not the firearm, it is my connection to it and how it doesn't work.  If it had slightly smaller "palm swells" that are non-existent on the Shield that would probably help me.  I have even thought of making the grip a little smaller.  With larger M&Ps, etc. I don't have that problem.  They are NOT as as big, especially with the small insert because the reach is different..  With a Beretta 92 I had a problem as well, and could not get on the trigger and pull it straight back the right way.  Even on a stock CZ 75 I have a little trouble, but with one of the thin CZ grips it is much better.  Each gun fits each person differently.  I am not sure if any of this is helpful with the single-stack Glock, but maybe something is useful.  

Yes, there is an "accepted" way of doing things.  The fact is whatever you do to make it work, as long as it's safe, is fine.

I have big hands but short stubby fingers so I know what you're talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have never fired a Shield.

I don't have any "fit" issue with the 43x and purchased it with the optional night sights installed. Based on the position of the sights relative to the slide, I believe they were installed properly but I still had to move the rear sight to the right to compensate for the gun shooting left. Prior to doing this, I did the best I could do with trigger control etc but none of that resolved the issue to my satisfaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Seems he isn't the only one

Nope, there is a mass of people that shoot low/left with the Glock. My belief is there is something inherent in its design that promotes trigger push or frame contact or some such thing. An easy way to possibly get an indicator if its that is to shoot it lefty. But it would seem that those with very good trigger technique do not experience the L/L issue even from a Glock handed over from a person with such an affliction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

Nope, there is a mass of people that shoot low/left with the Glock. My belief is there is something inherent in its design that promotes trigger push or frame contact or some such thing. An easy way to possibly get an indicator if its that is to shoot it lefty. But it would seem that those with very good trigger technique do not experience the L/L issue even from a Glock handed over from a person with such an affliction.

Did you watch the video?  He says he doesn't have the issue with his 43 or other Glocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the issue deals with trigger geometry--I am not sure if it is limited to the trigger shoe or all of the trigger components working together. I notice that on the 43x, and I assume the 48, the trigger shoe is serrated, compared to my G19. I do not like the shoe design so for $22 .00 I ordered a trigger shoe, that was Glock Oem, but it comes modified in a few respects--one, the shoe is smoothed and not serrated and the trigger safety sits flusher to the rest of the shoe when pressed another claimed modification impacts pre-travel.  I am going to utilize the 43x trigger bar which I have polished up and am interested to see if it makes a difference. If not, I may also experiment by installing the Apex almost flat face trigger shoe with the Glock trigger bar and/or and Overwatch flat face trigger with the integrated bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • 52 How important is it for you to have your next pistol be "Optics Ready?"

    1. 1. How important is it for you to have your next pistol be "Optics Ready?"


      • Very, (Do not want to pay for slide cutting, Looks cool, etc.)
      • Neutral (don't have a preference either way)
      • Not at all (not a feature I am looking for).
    2. 2. How much are you willing to pay for "Optics ready"? (i.e. gun is cut for an optic)


      • Up to $50
      • $50 to $100
      • $100 to $200
      • $250 or more
      • None. If it is not standard part of the gun, not willing to pay more for a model with it.
    3. 3. Why are you looking for Optics Ready?


      • Planning on adding optic.
      • Want to have the option just in case
      • n/a
    4. 4. Why do you want to add an optic?


      • Looks cool/tactical or someone told me I should
      • Need it for deteriorating eyesight.
      • To compete in certain gun games (USPSA Carry Optics)
      • Other Reasons

  •  

  • Supporting Vendors

  • Latest Topics

  • Posts

    • #59  CNJFO HONORS FIVE NJ 2A "HEAVY LIFTERS" DURING BRIEF CEREMONY HELD AT A DIVERSITY SHOOT AT GFH! CNJFO BESTOWS "PATRIOT PIN" TO (5) 2A NJ HEAVY LIFTERS! COLANDRO, SIMON, FISHER, INGRAM & WONG ALL AWARDED! by Black Wire Media Tuesday June 18, 2019 www.cnjfo.com/join-us CNJFO's President, Matt Andras, spoke from the heart last Friday evening at Tony Simon's "The 2nd is for Everyone: Diversity Shoot, detailing the how & why of the beginning of the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO). He then called Anthony Colandro, Tony Simon, Sean Fisher, Dan Ingram and Nick Wong to the front of the classroom at Gun For Hire's Woodland Park Range where this Diversity Shoot was being held. Thanking each of the honorees for their steadfast support of the 2nd Amendment in New Jersey and the Coalition in particular, Andras, on behalf of CNJFO's Board of Trustees, did then officially award the five a "Patriot Kit" consisting of a custom pewter pin, embossed certificate and thank-you note. The applause were so loud it froze the video camera (noted in video). These five have been supporting us since our inception, so they were the first selected for this honor. We at the Coalition are proud to partner with and are humbled by the volunteerism, expertise, monetary support, and hours spent promoting awareness, education and good will in the NJ 2nd Amendment community at-large. These five deserve your congratulations, respect, and your promise to do your best on the 2A scene as we celebrate their unwavering efforts on our behalf. Andras then concluded his brief presentation with the following remark, "When friends get together conversations get started. When conversations get started, ideas begin to flourish. When ideas flourish, great things will be accomplished". He also added, "Don't just be a member, become a part of it, own it, and say this is MY organization and I'm proud to work with it"! NOTE: We'd like for you to JOIN us, buy some exclusive swag or make a tax-deductible donation at www.cnjfo.com . All help is sincerely appreciated & thanks for reading / watching and SHARING!   Thanks for watching & sharing!  To JOIN us please visit:  https://www.cnjfo.com    
    • Please note that the overall length is 26.5" with a 12.5" barrel.  This means the firearm was measured collapsed.  If you choose to build your own and risk the legality of it, DO NOT use a barrel less than 12.5" long. I embrace gray areas of the law, but that letter from the NJSP sets a precedent for how OAL (overall length) will be determined in NJ. 
    • https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-passes-bill-allowing-concealed-carry-state-lines/story?id=51628124&fbclid=IwAR1liA-GZVmDVAFWEMEMDYHPDwMPX4GywyWKJyJnel8taAmy0sPMd5_Gvhs
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information