jm1827

Soft shooting 20ga?

Looking to get a gun for the wife, hoping to get her into shooting some clays with me.

She tried my 12ga 870, way too much, tried my 12ga Franchi O/U, again too much, tried a friends 20ga Citori, better but still too much.

I was thinking about a 20ga semi-auto, perhaps a Beretta A400 or Winchester SX3? 

Any suggestions?  Not afraid if she doesn't like it, as I have a 14 year old son who would use it if she doesn't like it.

13 hours ago, jm1827 said:

Looking to get a gun for the wife, hoping to get her into shooting some clays with me.

She tried my 12ga 870, way too much, tried my 12ga Franchi O/U, again too much, tried a friends 20ga Citori, better but still too much.

I was thinking about a 20ga semi-auto, perhaps a Beretta A400 or Winchester SX3? 

Any suggestions?  Not afraid if she doesn't like it, as I have a 14 year old son who would use it if she doesn't like it.

Concur with @ Krdshrk on a 20 ga. Youth Model gas gun!  Here's 4', 11" Sandy on a Pheasant Hunt with my 20 ga. Beretta Yout Model, complete with the "h" missing on the inscription, lol!

• Like 1

For my wife,we installed a youth stock and a 26” barrel on her 11-87 20 g. @DaddyNick has the same setup with a 20” barrel or somewhere around there.

The only thing I hate about the 11-87’s is the slide release and loading button. If I were to buy another semi, it would be an inertia gun with easy loading 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

Get her the AA 26g low recoil shells.  My wife loves them out of here 12 g Franchi.  Pretty hard for a beginner to hit anything with a 20 g.

????  Don't tell everyone I've ever taught with that youth model scattergun!

$10+ dollar a box AA's isn't the answer if ya wanna buy $5 a box shells on sale so you can shoot MORE.

The answer is a shoulder pad for recoil sensitivity, low brass shells, gas operation to further restrict recoil, 7/8 oz. loads, and most important, SHOTGUN "FIT"!  Then comes puttin' pounds of lead into the air :) 

12 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Come try my Tristar Viper G2 Youth.  Soft shooting and convertible to full size for adults.

I also have a Remington 11-87 12ga - super soft shooting as well.

I will check out the Tristar, but how do you know the youth model will fit, what if my wife is 6'4" and 290#?

1 minute ago, jm1827 said:

I will check out the Tristar, but how do you know the youth model will fit, what if my wife is 6'4" and 290#?

at 6'4 she should be able to handle a 12 gauge...

I started my son young shooting clays too -- he was small -- maybe 65 pounds -- ended up with an over under youth gun from Dicks that fit him pretty well

How I managed recoil for him was by reloading shotgun shells -- ended up with a shell with 9/16 ounce of shot -- he would shoot 250 shells almost every weekend at clinton WMA -- lots of lead in the air is the answer as Rosey said...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jm1827 said:

Then she should definitely be able to handle a 12ga lol.  I've put on a recoil pad/extender and the barrel extension on the 20ga and it works just fine for me (though I'm not a big guy).

Good idea on the reloading, when I shot clays consistently I used to reload just to save a couple of $$, never thought of reloading reduced recoil loads.  I need an excuse to get back into reloading!

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, NickySantoro said:

It's not so much the gun as the load. Semi auto will help, but most won't cycle really light loads. You might want to try some really light target loads in a pump.

Good point, I did try some light loads in a very good OU, that fit her well, but still too much.  I may need to find a heavier gun. 

19 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

If your somewhere in South Jersey (08053) be glad to let you and your wife shoot mine. 

Remington 11/87 20ga. 21" barrel. 

Not for sale as my kids love it. Lol. 

Thank you for the offer, if I can't find one to try locally I will let you know.