Ray Ray

Ruger expands the PCC line-up

9 hours ago, High Exposure said:

False

Ruger 6739 SR1911 10mm:

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Target/specSheets/6739.html

There are quite a few companies making 10mm AR upper and lowers, Olympic Arms, New Frontier Armory, QC10, Ghost, Moriarti Arms, APF Armory, there’s more but I don’t feel like typing them all... Hell, Brownells has all the parts, as does Midway, to build your own. That was just a Google search for “10mm AR uppers”.

You are right they do, the 1911, but you are not going to redesign a gun to use single stack 1911 mags. 

I really meant double stack guns like Glock 20, or the other Cz based designs. 

I have a 10mm 1911 from Ruger coming. And yes you are right that folks make ar uppers for 10mm but it is a niche... you don’t see any major companies pushing 10mm to the masses and smaller companies are pandering to the 10mm cult who got the bug watching Miami Vice in the 1980s. 

And 1911 based 10mm only exist in the numbers they do as it is in most cases the same as a 40sw different barrel.

and of course reloaders can replicate 10mm by loading 40sw cases long (what pretty much every STI and SVI 2011 shooter does anyway, otherwise the rounds don’t feed reliably) and putting in more powder. 

I have yet to see any company in the daily barrage of emails want big push for 10mm. 

There is a hard enough time making 40sw commercially successful and 45 acp is slowly turning into that too. 

No data on this but will try to find, more and more new releases of handguns as a percentage of the whole are 9mm. 

In the rifle world it is 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 are starting to stockpile. 

39 minutes ago, pasu0115 said:

I will throw another one in the mix. I would love to see Ruger make one in .30 Carbine, adapted to use M1 Carbine magazines. That would be a fun plinker, and a great closer range deer gun!

Got you beat... 7.62 tokarev. :) 

• Agree 1

Nope. They are losers and won’t make any money.

It doesn’t matter that you guys want it for your personal purposes based on your personal experiences and desires. I think they are both loser cartridges on their way out and they are bad choices. There are better performing loadings out there, and you should want those other choices that I think are better for you instead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Nope. They are losers and won’t make any money.

It doesn’t matter that you guys want it for your personal purposes based on your personal experiences and desires. I think they are both loser cartridges on their way out and they are bad choices. There are better performing loadings out there, and you should want those other choices that I think are better for you instead.

Of course they are not going to be commercially available! :) it’s fun to dream though. 

Someone did try a 7.62 tok before but failed. Can’t recall name.

92 magwells, P320 magwells, M&P magwells.  Those are a start.  Skip the 10mm and 7.62x25mm and .30 carbine and 45acp and whatever niche calibers dudes want.  9mm sells

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

92 magwells, P320 magwells, M&P magwells.  Those are a start.  Skip the 10mm and 7.62x25mm and .30 carbine and 45acp and whatever niche calibers dudes want.  9mm sells

If it took the 320 mags it would be on my list. It takes the Glock, but she has a PCC lower waiting to be built 

24 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

For the Sig, just build something you can drop the trigger pack into.

That’s a really interesting notion and would be quite interesting... especially since it would technically not be THE firearm. 

2 hours ago, pasu0115 said:

I will throw another one in the mix. I would love to see Ruger make one in .30 Carbine, adapted to use M1 Carbine magazines. That would be a fun plinker, and a great closer range deer gun!

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Of course they are not going to be commercially available! :) it’s fun to dream though. 

Someone did try a 7.62 tok before but failed. Can’t recall name.

The 30 carbine has been around for almost 80 years.  There have only been a handful (literally you can count on one hand)  of guns manufactured in that caliber other than the M1 Carbine.

Now I think the M1 Carbine is good for what it was designed for but you can go out and buy the modern version.  A Mini 14 which shoots a better cartridge.

7.62 Tok came to the US with the plethora of new and surplus guns in the 80s and 90s along with surplus spam cans of ammo of a bazillion rounds for $50-60.  Since that ammo supply has dried up they ain't so popular.

The same with the 5.45x39.  Great round when you could get 2000 rds for $100. Not so much now.

11 minutes ago, Maksim said:

That’s a really interesting notion and would be quite interesting... especially since it would technically not be THE firearm. 

Already done:

https://firecontrolunit.com/

And they make an AR in 5.56 using the Sig trigger pack:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/30/shot-2019-fire-control-units-x03-a-p320-fcu-based-ar-15/

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Maksim said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone was saying he was WRONG... at least I didn't.  I merely asked the question as to why hunt with 10mm when you can hunt with a rifle?  Unless there were states where you can hunt with pistol caliber carbine but not rifle.

Beyond that, when you have much better for the job pistol or straight walled cartridges to hunt with in an AR platform... the only reason I see to hunt with a theoretical 10mm carbine is like you said... if you carry a G20.... in which case, it is a very very small market and in my opinion, downgrading in ballistics for 1 or 2 theoretical rounds that you are going to shoot on a hunt or in self defense against a bear or whatnot... does not make sense to simply have a common magazine.  We are not talking zombie deer and bears right?

I am quite aware that 10mm guys are a cult... and I LOVE 10mm... but commercially, it is a failure and a near guaranteed failure to engineer a new gun around 10mm, which would be dependent on a 45.

From my conversations with the engineers who designed the gun... a caliber change is not that simple... and knowing the guys in the corporate suite... don't expect it unless it can be profitable. 

We already had quite a few pistol caliber carbines, and don't recall any in 10mm.... heck, try finding an AR pistol caliber upper in 10mm. =)

But I will pry and see if I can get an answer on 10mm if it is in the works. 

There are a number of Midwest states that have only allowed shotgun hunting for deer - like NJ - but many of these states have allowed handgun hunting - unlike NJ -  and are now allowing pistol caliber carbines or straight walled cartridges only.

Talking with the sales reps at some of my distributors they tell me they sell a lot of 10mm to Alaska. Guys carry them for bear protection and would rather have 15 rounds than 6 rounds if a bear is charging them. Glock G20 and other 10mm pistols are also usually smaller and lighter than many .41 or .44 magnum revolvers.

Kriss has made a 10mm carbine for a while now and Hi Point just came out with one last year.

• Informative 1

On 4/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, Maksim said:

The question is....  where can you hunt with a 10mm carbine that you can't hunt with a 223, etc?  If you are going to have a rifle... get a rifle. 

In VA you cannot hunt deer with a .223, but you can with a 10mm pistol or rifle.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:05 PM, High Exposure said:

For the Sig, just build something you can drop the trigger pack into.

There are plenty of these already.  

Radical Firearms PDW Chassis for SIG P320

FireControlUnit Exo One (XO3 uses the 320 FCG but in a AR style platform)

There's also the CAA Micro Roni/Roni Stabilizer and the IMI Kidon

44 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

There are plenty of these already.  

Radical Firearms PDW Chassis for SIG P320

FireControlUnit Exo One (XO3 uses the 320 FCG but in a AR style platform)

There's also the CAA Micro Roni/Roni Stabilizer and the IMI Kidon

Yes I know. I linked to some of them above. I have talked a out the Fire Control options many times across NJGF.