Displaced Texan

Fellow Star Wars nerds....

53 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I fucking hate this! Why? Why make me see this with my eyes?????

I believe someone said earlier in the thread, “at the end of the day, it’s still FUCKING STAR WARS!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I believe someone said earlier in the thread, “at the end of the day, it’s still FUCKING STAR WARS!”

Correct.

Even though it’s my least favorite of all the movies, I still love Ep I because it’s fucking Star Wars.

But I fucking hate Jar Jar on many many levels and wish he was never introduced as a character.

• Informative 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

...I fucking hate Jar Jar on many many levels and wish he was never introduced as a character.

Jar Jar isn’t my least favorite character, I think the purple haired Admiral in Ep IIX takes that dubious honor.

Besides, Jar Jar is secretly a Sith Lord...:icon_lol:

ADE47DBF-63B0-4B8B-8265-23ECDD113B12.jpeg

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Jar Jar isn’t my least favorite character, I think the purple haired Admiral in Ep IIX takes that dubious honor.

Besides, Jar Jar is secretly a Sith Lord...:icon_lol:

Jar Jar is the AOC of Star Wars

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/13/2019 at 6:14 PM, voyager9 said:

Agree. I was disappointed when they cancelled SGU. I thought it had the most potential if any of the SG series. 

Expanse is as good as it gets. 

Agree on both counts.  So much potential in SGU.  Was hoping it would get a reboot.   Yeah it was darker. But that was the point.  The most awkward scenes in that show were probably the ones with Richard Dean Anderson.  

SyFy has an abysmal record of canceling shows once they are hitting their stride.  This show. The Expanse.   BSG had another full season in the tank but they canned it and abbreviated its end.

After Ep II... I lost interest.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:52 PM, Maksim said:

Seriously?  I am not a huge Trekkie but TNG is by far the best series in the Star Trek universe.

I wish they involved Q even more.

ok ok, and why is VIII that bad?  I quit SW a long time ago... 

I'll give you my middle of the road take. It's a straight up BAD movie. 

For the people screaming SJW, I'm not sure why the SJW people would be happy. Ray and Fin fail horribly at everything they are trying to do in the film, and what they are trying to do makes little to no sense.  And it's not like anyone can feel good or bad about it. The entire universe is populated with morons in this one as far as I can tell. 

As for straight up bad. 

1) The entire central premise of the movie. The A-plot. Is that the good guys are being chased and running out of fuel. A concern literally never expressed previously in the entire franchise. 

2) On of the b-plots is initiated based upon a certainty that none of the players involved in has reason to be certain of. In fact the precede this plan of how to exploit a technology technicality by saying we know nothing about how they are doing what they must be doing with said technology. 

3) They spend 70 minutes on said stupid ass b-plot. It is also a 70 minute head fake for no dramatic payoff other than getting the main cast back in the same place to face the same problem they did at minute 15 of the movie. 

4) Snoke was the big bad? Nope. 

5) Darth Whiny was the big bad?  Nope. 

6) Is Ray the big bad? Nope. 

7) Who is the big bad? I don't know. Lead int he drinking water? They are all mind numbingly stupid at this point. 

8) Takes perhaps the one moment of emotional impact where Leia gets sucked out of the ship into space, and gives you magically flying space leia. 

9) Resolves the whole movie by having a nobody character we spent no time with perform a suicide attack on the bad fleet with effects so devastating it makes you wonder why the entirety of space weaponry isn't warp torpedoes, and why you would build any remotely large ships and place any of them, or not so large ships even, remotely near each other in space. Leia and said charcater act like this was the plan all along. 

10) Despite this devastating attack. There appears to be at least 2/3 of big ass start destroyers still intact and ready to kill their asses. Yet for some reason don't go on to kill their asses. 

Things which are debatable but posisbly good.

1) Kill off all the old cast. You have to have them exit some way at some point they are too old. However they DELIBERATELY did not kill of the one old cast member who is actually DEAD. So... 

2)Present the possibility that the Jedi are just as bad as the Sith in that they are both trying to unbalance the force, and balanced is the nature of the force, so it inevitably has to screw over both sides. But it buries that message deep. 

5 hours ago, raz-0 said:

I'll give you my middle of the road take. It's a straight up BAD movie. 

I don’t disagree with anything you said. I thought the movie was ok, but the points you bring up are true. Keep in mind Star Wars has never been the paragon of deep plots. 

1)Pinnacle of military might with single point of catastrophic failure (later recon’d)

2) Plan is to lure 1 rebel in using his far more important friends.... and then freeze him for transport... because apparently all the prisoner transport ships are busy. And this guys is so important we are going to rely in this freezing approach that has worked literally once before. 

3) second most powerful military might can apparently use its primary weapon but must rely on external shields. Yet no other planetary defenses were added.  Rebel Success depends on teddy bears with rocks.

4) The entire prequels. 

I’m rather puzzled by the total lack of character development in Rey. I’m mean, she’s a ‘force sensitive’ (like Luke was in ep IV), but unlike Luke, never receives any Jedi training. All of a sudden, she’s holding her own, and wounding, a highly trained Jedi (Ren) with a lightsaber. 

She pilots the crap out of the Falcon, flys against several, more maneuverable Tie fighters and out flys them. The first time she’s behind the helm of the ship. 

She fixes the hyperdrive (which presumably could be as easy as un-clogging a garbage disposal, for all we know). 

In IIX, she still receives very little Jedi training, then goes toe to toe with the Imperial Guard with a lightsaber. Granted, she had more training here than she did in VII, but still....

At the end of the day, it’s still fucking Star Wars. 

• Like 1

I never understood why some people need to nit pick every little detail of a movie they didnt like....Like down to the name tag of the underwear some extra wore in the background... and get all but hurt because they didnt do it this way or that way .. or follow this book or this story line.   Its a f'n movie people.   Its made to entertain you.   So either A) you liked it and it entertained you...great maybe you will watch it again at some point...  or B) Nope you didnt like it, it didnt entertain you.

the point here... its a "movie". not real life, not a documentary, not a based on a real life story, just as made up as pro wrestling ie; not real.

Now if your real life profession is professional movie critic.. then ok .. i guess its your job to nit pick films.. i never listen to what a movie critic has to say .. but to each their own.

Or Leia floating through space and that lame-ass way Solo died at the hands of that little shit.  Or, the pathetic way Luke was portrayed.  I felt like the founding fathers were getting their history rewritten.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, High Exposure said:

Lol! True.

Lightsabers, faster than light travel, The Force - all ok. Totally believable. But the line is drawn at questionable military strategy.

I don't know if you are taking a shot at my nitpicks. But the franchise is pretty much entirely the world building. The world building has been done over 6 films. The core ot TLJ's plot ignores a bunch of the world building. Plus the plot is just plain stupid. PLUS the plot wastes 70 minutes of my life doing nothing, and doing it in a not particularly cool looking way. So I'm not even getting spectacle out of it. 

The suicide attack was stupid, but at least it was cool looking. 

And stupid or not, the franshice has not worried about fuel to get anywhere at any point in the series. Cribbing from BSG for your A-plot while ignoring all world building to date is not a mark of franchise success in my book. We'll see how it goes. Solo took a nice fat stinky one in their bank account. We'll see how this one does. 

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Or Leia floating through space and that lame-ass way Solo died at the hands of that little shit.  Or, the pathetic way Luke was portrayed.  I felt like the founding fathers were getting their history rewritten.

Or the lame way they killed off Fleet Admiral Ackbar. He should have been the one to ram the snope command ship. That would be totally fitting of his character. 

Star Wars, the story of a dead beat dad that abandons his son and wife (Han), a Jedi that goes full Monty Python and runs away from failure (Luke), (even Yoda didn’t give up when he trained Dooku), and a princess that single handily runs the rebellion into the ground (Leia). 

At least Jar Jar is still the hero from the battle for Naboo :)